Yellowing leaves

Gee

it seems there are 20 reasons why leaves yellow. Can’t figure it out so thought I’d share

I’m an outdoor grower, growing in fabric pots I have 4 strains, 2 of each so eight plants in 10 gallon pots total on the outdoor concrete porch. They are in soil ( something local and organic I just can’t remember), early veg feeding was mostly feather meal.

Now I use Growzilla Bud? Is that the name? Not sure. I feed 1/2 cup every ten days of that.

My blue dream, blackjack, and pineapple upside down cake are doing awesome, my forbidden fruit has leaves slowly yellowing and can figure out why. I put those two up on some small cookie racks to get it off the ground. I’m thinking too much water? I’m not sure. Hoping you could give me your thoughts at what it looks like to you

One thing. Three weeks ago this plant got Fried on 30% of the canopy. Heat wave. The leaves didn’t immediately die but got light green. Since then it’s gotten jinx! Thoughts?

A4746C14-A221-4B39-9D46-C0F075CD622D.jpeg

They look ok to me actually look pretty good.

Some plants loose the early big fans sooner than others do.

Whats happening is the plants are making flowers and are using nutrients stored in those big fan leaves to fuel the flower building. It's completely normal.

You can't really do anything about it now anyways even if it was say a calcium deficit.

What you can do to ease YOUR mind is mix up a slurry of 1/2 cup kelp meal to 1 cup worm castings in a bucket of water (3-5 gallons) and stir it up several times, leave it sit overnight stir some more and water in.

Kelp meal has every macro and micro nutrient the plants need to thrive. She's likely going to keep yellowing but if you give them the kelp and ewc tea you know its not form lack of nutrients.

What you're seeing is called Senescence. Some plants will do this more than others but rest well as its completely normal.

The heat as long as there's a breeze, won't even phase these plants really. The root ball has to get up to like 110F to damage the plants. That takes some time with that much soil. Just water them often and more than you think you need to. This is the time when they will drink a TON of water they are building flowers. They need extra water.

GL they look great to me.

Thanks for easing my mind. Forgot to mention that the older leave, not attached to the Bud, rather the branch are the ones getting pale. Would it be counter productive to take leaves off if they’re more yellow than green?

Let them fall off naturally.

What you are seeing there with the yellowing is those big fans are at the end of their life cycle and there's a sorta valve at the stem (petiole) where it attaches to the plant. This valve lets the sugars (chlorophyll) go into the plant one way only.

This is why the leaf is yellowing - the chlorophyll that makes the leaves green and is also several types of sugars, it's slowly flowing thru the vascular system to the flowers to help them grow bigger.

So sure you can take them off it wont hurt, but it will help the flowers if you leave them on.

Let them fall off naturally.

What you are seeing there with the yellowing is those big fans are at the end of their life cycle and there's a sorta valve at the stem (petiole) where it attaches to the plant. This valve lets the sugars (chlorophyll) go into the plant one way only.

This is why the leaf is yellowing - the chlorophyll that makes the leaves green and is also several types of sugars, it's slowly flowing thru the vascular system to the flowers to help them grow bigger.

Good to know. Kinda how my hair is graying too? J/k. That’s actually pretty wild

So I should stop pulling my grey hairs out? It’s cause the good stuff is actually flowing back into my brain? How will I know when it’s working....? :hmmmm:

When you pass it on. :passitleft:

Average days, mid 80s and low 60’s to high 50s at night. No lower than 55° at night at most. It has been up to the high 90’s four days out of the the last 30 days though. California can have its ups and downs with a heat wave for 3 day at 100. I have a large sun shade for those days. Here’s today’s pics. The two side by side and then one of each
CFFCC37C-7F82-4A8C-B793-EC506EFDEDFD.jpeg
6227D50A-C6A0-4318-80C0-EA5A5C8621D6.jpeg
01341211-2CB0-450E-BB94-ABD4D1700A83.jpeg

I am also thinking its nearing the life cycle of the plant just like the tree leaves in the fall they also yellow

I was thinking the same. My pomegranate plant leaves are starting to yellow as well. I guess it’s somewhat strain dependent. My other strains aren’t doing this. This strain might be a better indoor candidate. Hope the buds get a nice size

yellowing leaves is normal. All plants will do it.

Senescence

Here's a good read. I like the parts about post harvest production and YIELDS.

Plant senescence: how plants know when and how to die

Just be sure you're watering enough.

The hot days the plants need to transpire to stay cool, that requires water. With the uptake of water the plants also uptake nutrients. No water no nutrient uptake. There's a nutrient supply in the older large fan leaves.

Just be sure you're watering enough.

I am, actually I noticed the best way to water is water half as much as you usually do to each plant, and then come back a few min later and water the rest. If I water plant all in one watering there is much more runoff than doing a little at a time. I assume plant gets a chance to absorb more without leaving dry root spots. Just an observation. May have my head up my ass on that one but whatevs..lol

Back
Top Bottom