Yet another odor control bucket idea

GrumpyGrower

I built Rosemans odor control bucket (thanks Roseman!) and despite being a great design, I found it wasn't quite enough to take care of my odor. I built a modified version that incorporates a bit of active carbon and so far it works great.

The biggest difference is I reversed the air flow. I cut holes on the bottom of the bucket where air is drawn in. I cut out 2 cardboard circles to fit snugly inside the bucket. I spaced the cardboard down inside the bucket evenly, so it basically divided the bucket into three even chambers. I used hot glue to make the cardboard air tight, and then cut vent holes on opposite sides. This way the air is drawn in and to the other side of the bucket before going up into the next chamber, across the bucket, and up again. I filled the first two chambers with fiberglass fluff used in furnace filters, and sprinkled in about 3oz of active carbon on top of and among the fluff. The next chamber got the same. For the top chamber I lined the cardboard with plastic wrap, and I spread 1tbs of ONA gel over it each morning. I cut a square hole in the lid where I placed an old computer fan drawing air up.

So the air is drawn into the bucket through the bottom, scrubbed by the carbon, and then neutralized by the ONA which also adds a mask scent.

With just the ONA in the bucket I could still faintly smell skunk odor when I walked in my front door. The addition of carbon to the mix has eliminated that.

have any photos you can show??
Thinking of doing a odor bucket and yours sounds interesting..

sounds interesting alright!!

in the past i made something similar... but it was merely a rectangular ply box with open bottom and closed top(with hole cut using jigsaw to accommodate fan) in the box itself i made, basically put, 3 silk screen frames that slide up into the box and sat on small screws i screwed in the sides.. they sat about 6 inches above each other.. each 'silk screen' frame had chicken wire stretched across it upon which was layered cotton wool, each frame had 3 layers of cotton wool and active carbon(i.e. one layer cotton wool, active carbon sprinkled across it, another layer of cotton wool, more active carbon sprinkled across it and so on).. 3 layers on each frame.. and 3 frames. the air was drawn up through the bottom, through the filters... and out through fan at top. the fan itself was a 315mm centrifugal fan moving approx 300-350litres of air per second.. over 1000cubic meters per hour.. great fans for pushing or pulling air through filters(i still have this fan). this worked really well for me in rooms with up to 80 large plants per room

Back
Top Bottom