Your embarrassing newbie story

My first attempt at DWC.. I didnt PH neutralize my rockwool.. lost 4 seedlings.. Never again.
Oh yeah... the details. I didn't realise the importance of ph and when I finally got a meter found out my tap water runs a constant 8.0. I wish I could get back all the seeds I lost when I first started!

I have only started my first grow, so I have only one tale of woe (so far !) I popped two seeds into Jiffy Pellets and popped them in the sun, on a shelf in the garage. They both popped up and were looking pretty good. I moved them closer to the window for more sunshine as my Tent with the lights and my hydro set up were still in transit. We had a really cold night out of the blue (if I had bothered to check the weather it may not have been such a shock - I watch it like a Hawk now !) and when I looked in on the babies they were both withered up and very much dead I was devistated. I have since learnt that being warm is essential, to the point of having a heater on a theromostat in the Tent for any future cold snaps.

I had 20 Great White Sharks in 30 litre root pouches, all were trained well and fed properly. I just didn't/couldn't check for hermies well enough due to packing too many plants in, 1 hermie out 20 plants seeded everything ! The worst thing was i didn't know until harvest day. 60 odd oz of seeded herb ! Happy to say it didn't put me off at all. You either win or you learn

OHHHH Lord where do I start. How about not realizing for weeks (they were only about 18" off the floor) that two out of 4 of my T5 CFLs had somehow come out of the sockets and they didn't fall but weren't lit. By the time I noticed it was too late and wound up with 2 - 7" high plants Teeny tiny crop that year. :icon_roll:bigblush:

This is great. I Just started my first grow. Haven't done anything silly yet. Mind you I'm under the watchful eye of sooooo many great minds here. So hopefully I won't have a story to tell

Oh you'll have a couple all right, it's almost a rite of passage. Hopefully somebody here pays it forward and tells you what you need to know when something goes wrong...and something always goes wrong.

Oh, man... that was the most expensive aspect of starting off new. A guy sold me a DWC system with lighting. I lost so many seeds. Thank God I was able to use the lighting down the road and the DWC setup was pretty cheap.

You get use out of your original equipment purchases down the road?
I figured I'd buy the biggest tent, filter, fan, etc so I can always build on it... lol scrolls up and feels dirtbags post!

I was 18 when I tried my first attempt at growing. I had a bunch of seeds out of some low quality smoke and decided to throw them into a bowl of old, microwaved MG soil. I hid it in a cabinet with no light at all thinking they would grow just fine. They grew, but they were pale and looked pathetic. Even today, I still shake my head and laugh about it. I spent months researching the plant after that and I still do. It's a nice pastime .

Year 1990 Ima 15 year old metal head, just went to see Metallica and me and my friends are into stealing beer and scaming weed from the older kids. Well I get some seeds and my dad says try to grow it.. I get a cheap 400 watt hps and a ballast and 3 of moms small terra cotta pots and I set up shop in the tool shed in July using dirt from the yard. My plan is to leave the doors open for air. I get 3-4 beans planted into each pot haha then as they start coming up I'm feeding them miracle plant food. Dad tells me to start closing the shed door at 7pm and opening it in the morning after a couple months. About 5 plants made it to harvest all about 3 ft tall. A couple airy golf ball sized nugs at best. Anyways, So as I'm cutting them down & I notice bugs everywhere. Lots of different little bugs. I freak out and get a can of raid that just happens to be in sight within the shed and spray the entire crop until I'm satisfied the bugs are all dead. Yea I sure killed all those bugs and feeling proud I tell my dad how I succeeded. His first words without hesitation were You dumb ass kid your not gonna be able to wash that out! You ruined the crop! He was really pissed and put all the plants under the lawn mower then trashed em so I wouldn't try and smoke it. I felt 1 inch tall and stupid AF.. My friends asked what happened and they were told the crop was stolen.

Oh you'll have a couple all right, it's almost a rite of passage. Hopefully somebody here pays it forward and tells you what you need to know when something goes wrong...and something always goes wrong.
I know something along the line will happen but there's some vets here subbed to my journal keeping a close eye on me lol. Only a couple weeks in. My girls are still babies.
420-magazine-mobile1498744698.jpg
420-magazine-mobile53741649.jpg
not sure why this one is shrivelling but I'm keeping a close eye on her.

I planted some bad seed I got from a buddy in some old pots I had outside from flowers over the years. They sprouted and I bought all the gear; tent, fan, lights, humidifier you name it. About a month in I noticed the one pots plant only had 3 leaves and didn't really look like the others. I realized then that the nice plant I had been caring so well for was in fact not even Marijuana it was a weed that had been seeded in that planter and all the nice care I gave it caused it to grow. I have an entry in my journal notebook that says: plant number three isn't even pot, damn I am a dumbass. You can bet I only use new soil and seeds from a good company. The upside is the two that I had with it are in flower now and over 4 feet tall with a ton of buds growing. I think growing the wrong plant might just be the winner for dumbass of the thread so far.:bravo:. My wife will never let me live that down.

On my first grow I quickly looked for the metric to imperial conversion as my nutes on listed metric. At the end of the grow I realised I missed a number or two in the conversion and was feeding about 1/8th of what I thought.

As an old fart Canadian I went through the whole metrification thing, and here's the secret: DON'T CONVERT! Just work within the system, it's a hell of a lot easier to work with than imperial. It doesn't really matter how many ounces are in a litre, measure it out in cc's or ml's 1 litre equals 1000 ml or cc easy peasy.

As an old fart Canadian I went through the whole metrification thing, and here's the secret: DON'T CONVERT! Just work within the system, it's a hell of a lot easier to work with than imperial. It doesn't really matter how many ounces are in a litre, measure it out in cc's or ml's 1 litre equals 1000 ml or cc easy peasy.
Thankfully the nutes I use now have it listed in both measurements!
Metric is so much easier for sure.
You've got it right, WK. I'm a mechanic and life would be oh so easy if everything was metric.

My biggest screw up was last winter's grow indoor. I was running LED lights and a 6 bulb t5 for veg. As soon as I was ready for flower, moved them in the other room. The 630 LEC's shocked the daylights out of the and they started tripping. Underwatering, light shock, and fans were drying out everything. On top of that, I was mixing nutes and over f'ed them. Huge mistakes made but I went right back to basics. I now use compost tea and I couldn't be happier with the results. No ph crap and it's organic. My flowers are outstanding!

good luck all!!

My biggest screw up was last winter's grow indoor. I was running LED lights and a 6 bulb t5 for veg. As soon as I was ready for flower, moved them in the other room. The 630 LEC's shocked the daylights out of the and they started tripping. Underwatering, light shock, and fans were drying out everything. On top of that, I was mixing nutes and over f'ed them. Huge mistakes made but I went right back to basics. I now use compost tea and I couldn't be happier with the results. No ph crap and it's organic. My flowers are outstanding!

good luck all!!
Love the user name!! I have a 71 Pontiac Lemans 455 that is just getting finished. Hopefully your a car nut and not from Pontiac Michigan as that would make me feel really dumb:)

puted a 42w cfl abover her , left home for work for 8 hours ,
came back ,
the bulb fell on her ( 2 days old max )
the stem was so dark and thin , fried the shit out of that poor baby

"fried the shit out of that poor baby"...don't kno why I Found this as fudge. ...But I feel ya, I think one of mines maybe getting too much light. Ha

Back
Top Bottom