Made some brownies

Bruce Wheelman

Legal Advisor
420 Staff
Well, I had the day off today due to furloughs (thanx Arnie), so I decided to give a try at canna-butter and brownies. Check another post for the canna-butter as I used oil for brownies. First I got my things together:

DSC065301.JPG

Then I tried to "quick cook" the oil by placing the 1/2 cup of veg. oil (amount the box recipe called for) in a pan and then adding in approximately 1/4 oz of ground med. grade buds:

DSC065311.JPG

I proceeded to heat the oil/bud mixture (not too hot) for approximately 20 minutes, while also tending to my canna-butter:

DSC065321.JPG

After the 20 minutes of heating and stirring, I mixed the oil/bud mixture into the brownie mix and then placed it into a pan:

DSC065331.JPG

While the recipe on the box called for 350* F, I had heard a couple suggestions/recommendations to cook longer at a lower temp. I chose to use 290*F and ended up cooking the brownies for about 44 minutes (the box indicated 27-30) - I used the toothpick method to check them. Here's the finished product:

DSC065371.JPG

I'll post an update later tonight or tomorrow to report on how it worked for taste and strength - I'm going to try one after dinner. :peace:

UPDATE: I ate a 1" square brownie after dinner and felt a little after an hour or so. Then I ate another 1" square and could feel a nice body high after another 1/2 hour.

I'm going to try a 2x2 square tomorrow morning with my coffee (empty stomach) and see how that goes.

As far as the taste - was great. Nice and gooey consistency as well. Might try to cook next batch a few more minutes.

:peace:

Had my 2x2 square this morning with coffee on an empty stomach and 3 hours later I'm really baked :loopy:. A nice strong body high that I'm feeling behind the eyes and through my head. I'd definitely say the "quick cook" method worked for the oil, and that 1/4 oz is just about right for a batch of brownies. FWIW, I didn't strain the cannabis out of the oil, and also didn't grind the bud nearly as fine as others do (just a herb grinder - not a coffee grinder or blender). I kinda like the "extra fiber" the plant material provides and don;t think it alters the taste at all. YMMV.

thanks for the play-by-play

are you going to try a 3x3 square, just for experiment's sake?

What the hell....the old "Take one for the team" attitude :winkyface:.

I'm a big college b-ball fan and am planning a toke-fest this afternoon while KU thrashes Tenn. I'll plan on munching the 3x3 in the morning and will let ya know how it goes around 8-9 am PST.

FWIW - 5 hrs after eating the 2x2, and I can still slightly feel the buzz....

3x3 was too much....I didn't move from the couch all morning. To keep the buzz "functioning", I'm going to stick to 2x2 or maybe a 2x3 at the most (got to thinking and the 3x3 was over twices as big a dose as a 2x2).

What temp did u heat the oil/bud at? Like medium or even lower?

Shot for 190* +/-

I've since done it the same way and also tried to use a coffee grinder to make a finer "additive".....so far I can't tell a huge difference in the different methods of prep. YMMV.

Try the Betty Crocker Hershey brownie mix sometime. Its very good.

Used to get that one as a teenager - it is good indeed. Wife brought home some pillsbury 2x chocolate fudge and the "turtle" ones - both cooked/tasted extremely well.

ye not to criticize, but i can tell you your issues already, you need to cook the weed way longer, in the least an hr, some people let it slow cook overnight. as you already mentioned you didn't grind it fine enough, personally i wouldn't use any less than a 1/2oz in a recipe. but on that issue it's personal preference. other than that it looks ok:grinjoint:

I made some brownies using this method. They were GREAT :bravo: Totaly nice body and visual high. I was wondering if it makes a difference when cooked longer or is the maximum THC/CBD extraction reached during the bake time and the oil cook time. I cooked the material in oil for about 20 minutes and baked for 25 or so. I crumbled the material as fine as I could (no cofee grinder) and the brownies came out good, not too much grit. :yahoo: Thanks for sharing a great method :nicethread:

Question: I'm going to try and make these today. Which method is better: The Cannabuter or this method, mixing it with the oil?....

And if I go the oil route, do I strain it to get the bud out, or do I keep the bud in the mix?... How do the brownies taste with actual bud in them? Like is it gritty/obvious that there is some type of grassy matter in them?.. Lol

Thanks in advance.

I always leave the ground up bud in the mix (when using oil). Recently, I've been trying another method, whereby I pre-heat the bud @ 210* for 20 minutes, then grind the buds in a coffee grinder to get VERY finely ground material to add to the oil. I started using the coffee grinder after wife and a few friends commented they didn't like the extra "texture" of my brownies....YMMV, as I kinda like the bran/fiber texture.

Also - as to butter vs oil....just use what the brownie mix calls for. I prefer oil, since it is MUCH faster (20 minutes to infuse vs 24+ hours for butter). I have made up a batch of butter, and froze part until I was ready to cook with it. If using butter, be sure to WEIGH your green butter to ensure correct proportions once ready to cook with it. My first batch lost close to 1/4 of the butter I added to the recipe during the infusion (made for a bad/dry batch of cookies on my first try).

Hope this helps....

Coffee grinders work excellent for processing the weed for oil use. It really is the fastest and easiest way to go. The big plus for medicinal uses is that you're not just getting the THC, you're also getting some of the other beneficial parts of the plant into the mix. Some patients are even processing the plants when they're in veg, they never flower. That way you get the medical benefits and not the high.

Back
Top Bottom