Lumatek digital more trouble than its worth?

stax

Hi all , am new here but been growing long long time and have to let of some steam about the lumatek ballasts. There have been many good reports about these and thus 6 months ago decided to try out a couple of the purple 600 watter's instead of my usual mag ballasts . Well thats when the trouble started they fired up for a week then failed totally burned out one of the bulbs, i check and changed fuses & bulb try again and they work'd for a couple more days then fail again , change fuses again and nothing !! so i drive long distance back to shop (never trust mail-order) and they try ballasts with one of their reflectors and hey presto they work. Shop claims it is my reflectors at fault which must have dodgy E40 connections, so I get another couple of shades off a friend and all works again for 3 months, till last night when yet again fuse failure!
It sucks, it was just lucky it was the day to check on babies else they would have been in darkness for a week. I know lot of people saying there ok but maybe they havent tried running them 365 days year yet ? or something, cause i have had nothing but headaches from them, from my point of view they are just too unreliable and could cost me heavy.

Theres also the bulb compatability problem lumatek have been wrestling with for some time , some bulbs may work some def wont etc etc more headache never been any compatability problems with mag ballasts
!
Check out what one of Lumateks owners writes regaurding bulb compatabilty where he accepts most good bulbs wont work --

"My name is Jason and I am the founder of Lumatek Electronic ballasts. We try to stay away from these forums but I think this is important. Some customers are currently experiencing problems when using some 600 watt lamps. I do want to point out that the Hortilux Solarmax Grolux issue applies to ALL brand of electronic ballasts.

The lumatek ballast is a true Eballast. It has a micro processor cpu. This cpu allows the ballast to make adjustments according to the lamp that is being used. A eballast can compensate for degrading bulbs and slight power fluctuations. It can also sense the exact specifications of the lamps it is using. the Lumatek ballast is up to 27% brighter than a core and coil ballast. We do have one problem with this technology the cpu can not detect the lamp until AFTER the initial ignition. Once the bulb is lit the ballast can then take over and drive the bulb to its exact specifications. Industry specifications for a 600 watt hps lamp call for a 4000volt ignition pulse. This is what Lumatek and all other digital ballast use for a starting voltage. Hortilux ignition used to be 2000-3000 volts even though this is less then the ignition pulse of the Lumatek we did not experience any problems with the Hortilux I have lots of customers with Hortilux lamps that are over a year old However about 6 months ago we started to notice an increase in Hortilux failures. We also noticed that the font of the text printed at the base of the bulb had changed. When we tested this lamp we found that the ignition range was lowered to 1500 volts. These new Hortilux lamps are different then the ones we originally designed the ballast with and have a higher frailer rate. The problems that customers are having are NOT a ballast problem they are a bulb problem the Hortilux 600 watt is not designed to industry specifications regarding ignition pulse. Furthermore it is also manufactured with a special gas in the arc tube that no other lamp maker in the world uses. The Hortilux lamp design is unique. We are currently adapting our ballast for this bulb it may require a switch to lower the ignition pulse for Hortilux.
Solarmax and Growlux lamps are the opposite problem these lamps require a 5000-6000 volt ignition pulse Again the standard ignition for a 600 is 4000 volts. The Lumtek ballast can light these bulbs with the 4K pulse for a while however over time the lamps degrade and they require more and more voltage to start after a few months the bulbs will not ignite in any digital ballast. "

Re: Lumatek digital more trouble than its worth ?

interesting, I have a 600w Lumatek and a Hortilux bulb I bought for it, I guess I'll stick with the original bulb it came with...

hmm. I've had 1 lumatek 600 watt ballast running hortilux bulb for over a year now with no problems. I have another one that is about 6 months with no problems as well. Atleast no problems that I'm aware of. They seem to fire up normally pretty much like the first day I got them. I was aware of problems with lumatek ballasts in the past but I was under the impression that all the bugs have been fixed. I even started a thread on the subject awhile back. You can check it out here if you like. Lumatek Ballast

Sounds like it may be some quality control issues more than anything, maybe Stax just got a lemon....

My first brand new lumatek digital 400watt ballast didn't work. I took it back to the shop and traded it for another one and have had no problems since. I use hortilux bulb.

My first brand new lumatek digital 400watt ballast didn't work. I took it back to the shop and traded it for another one and have had no problems since. I use hortilux bulb.

Well from what the CEO said it seems the problems are mainly with the 600w models...

Hi Stax sorry to hear about your problems friend i was just pondering something,was it a MH light you had in it at the time ? and was the super lumens switch on? if so this will blow bulbs as it will only work with HPS bulbs in super lumens mode.
best regards....creamm :peace:

Hi all , i was only using sodium bulbs with them and although the ballast have 'super lumen' switch on them i never had this on due to several people inc stockist saying this switch shouldnt be left on for too long?! apparently boosts lumens slightly if used with certain lamps. I emaild lumatek reguarding what bulbs can be used just after i bought em and they didnt even seem sure.
I know the lumatek have many safety features built-in including the 15min reset but just seems to fussy for me. One time it failed I checked everything waited 15 min switched on again and it worked even tho nothing was changed. Which lends the question why did the safety cut out activate? if nothing was wrong.

On another forum -will try and find it again- someone else mentioned they had probs with 600wt purple overload cutout and sent back2 lumatek who sent another with new reset button on ballast, they were in canada tho , im in uk, so perhaps differences.

Im even starting to wonder if my current is clean enough dont seem to have probs with pc's etc but i am in the wilds maybe slght volt drop could cause lumatek to fail ?
Its a shame they cant automate the reset so you dont need to manually restart them.

Anyway any input be great,
stax

Just to add- im pretty sure it isnt a bulb problem or connections since ive tried few different bulbs & e40's and apart from the first bulb i got -which was free from shop, none of the others have burned out - and as said above after resetting the same bulb would fire up fine.
When they are working look good , i wouldnt go as far as saying there are any real yield improvements tho over mags watt for watt the sales claims are bs.

I doubt this is your problem being that you bought the light in the UK. Whats the hertz over there in UK. It's 60 Hertz in america, but it's 50 hertz in other countries. That may cause a problem with an electronic ballast if your running a 60 hertz ballast on a 50 hertz feed. Look at the back of your ballast it will show you the htz. Then, look at the back of your computer. See if they're the same.

Low line or brown out will cause it to draw more current possibly causing premature bulb failures, if you have a multimeter you can measure the AC under load to see if it drops, sometimes if your close to maxing out the rated AC outlet (Too many items plugged in) it will cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom