CAP NextGen Ballasts: Problems?

So what's the verdict on the nextgen? Are they working?

I'm winding down on the e-n-g grow, so I'll have a little time/space to revisit this again. Damn thing is just sitting doing nothing, I know it makes me sick also.

Thanks Agent!
SF

So what's the verdict on the nextgen? Are they working?

Cool as a cucumber, quiet as..er...something really quiet. Worth every penny, I think.

:bravo:

Digital ballasts require steady 60hz power supply. Older homes/buildings often have electical wiring that isn't properly shielded, and as a result the power supply can swing as much as 10% in either direction.

There is a very simple and rather inexpensive fix for this problem, buy an inverter...it'll clean you up tp 60hz and you should be fine. Digital ballasts are alot like laptop computers and plasma tvs, they need 60hz...no more no less...or damage will occur.

does anyone know where to find one of these inverters..... if yes can you give me a link to get one!! I live in an old apt and i think thats the reason ive blown 2 nex gen 1000w ballasts!

skunky rick, my homie just picked up one of these ballast and im worried if we might have the same problem, we live in a pretty shitty old apartment complex as well PLEASE!!!! HIT US UP IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS THING!!!! Im planning on picking up a few nextgens myself possibly and I want to make sure there mine doesn't blow up on my plants or my homie, that would be fucking terrible for his plans at the moment. Thanks dude!
Hydro

p.s well shit I dont know why i am asking you this because your in the same spot as me wondering wtf these things do but if you find anything out please hit me up!

Also I keep reading reports about C.A.P. 's sneaky bull shit lie of a 5 year warranty..apparently you only get a new ballast if it fucks up in the first 90 days other wise they give you a fucking referb? Not to mention i've also read a few more articles talking about C.A.P. possibly commiting fraud telling customers they did recieve a brand new ballast in there first 90 days but the customer can sware it was a bull shit referb.
heres the first guy:

Plantlightinghydroponics.com A.K.A. Aladdins lights suck BIG TIME. About a year ago I began a search for the equipment to build/design a grow room. I went to local shops and looked online. After comparing the prices of the two I decided to go online with a company called Plant lightinghydroponics.com A.K.A. Aladdins lights out of twinsburg ohio. BIG MISTAKE!!! I ordered over $3000.00 worth of equipment. Three Electronic NEXTGEN 1000 watt ballasts, high end bulbs, carbon filters, controllers, ect. No expense was spared. When I received the equipment I opened the ballasts to find that they had scratches and tool marks on the fasteners. I immediatly called PLH and spoke with one of the managers Jeff. He assured me that the ballast were new and they did not ever sell used or refurbished equipment. Being in a crunch for time, I just wanted to get things started so I dropped the issue. I figured if I had a problem with the NEXTGEN ballasts I could always rely on the manufactures 5 year warranty. WRONG!!!

Side note: I was warned about buying equipment from online vendors from local hydro shops and here on RIU. They said that returns would be a nightmare if even possible, customer service is poor to say the least, and that there were a lot of fly-by-night companies that just won't be in business when it comes time to make warranty claim. I DID NOT listen to these critics, mainly because there was a significant difference in the $$$$$ amount between my local shop and these online vendors. In my case around $1,400.00 difference.

lo and behold six months into my operation one of the NEXTGEN 1000 watt ballasts failed. Just quit working. Supposidly your able to self diagnose these ballast but this thing was DEAD. Fortunatly for me I bought (3) of these ballasts and was only using (2). So I switched out the dead ballast for the backup one and was instructed by Jeff @ PLH to send the broken ballast back to Custom Automated Products, C.A.P; which i did. He stated that if the ballast was deemed defective they would send me a "new" ballast. Three weeks went by and I heard nothing. I called Plant lighting hydroponics (AKA Aladdins lights) and this time spoke with another manager Mike. He told me that in fact the ballast was shot and C.A.P had sent me out a "new" ballast. That was this past monday. Well today I received the "new" ballast. Except the ballsat isn't new. They sent me a refurbished unit ...WTF...So I call the jokers at PLH and the manager Mike tells me that they must of fixed my ballast and just sent it back instead of a new one. I tell him the there are stickers all over the box that say REFURBISHED and the invoice says: replace with REFURB. He tells me that he is going to call CAP and call me right back. He calls back and says, Custom Automated Products policy is: If the ballast breaks within 90 days of purchase then they would have sent me a new ballast. But since it was outside of the 90 days (180Days) it is their option to send me a refurbished or new unit. WTF...If you look at NEXTGEN ballasts their BIG selling point is their 5 YEAR WARRANTY. Fucking Bullshit. CAPS warranty card that comes with each ballast states: 5 YEAR WARRANTY (3 years 100% and 2 years prorated.) So I called CAP today and they told me the same bullshit. I asked the lady at CAP, why doesn't the warranty card state anything about this 90 day bullshit? She did not have an answer. I asked her if she thinks it might be important to add this imformation to the warranty card for the benefit of customers and potential customers? She stated that she would "speak to the higher ups" about my concerns but that was their company policy.

This has got to be illegal. PLH, CAP, and the likes need to be put out of business through boycotts. We growers need to mobilize and force these bootleg companies to give us the service and products we deserve. Just because what many of us do is considered taboo and illegal in some situations, we are subjected to overpricing, no return policies, poorly designed products, shitty customer service, and an overall POOR experience.

Just warning all of you growers who were considering CAP equipment, you might want to reconsider. The reason I went with NEXTGEN ballast is because of their 5 year warranty. Filthy liars. And as far as PLH a.k.a ALLADIN LIGHTS, all of the warnings about online vendors proved to be true with them. I have never dealt with such a poorly run business in my life. From the manager to the employees, all are worthless. There were several other issues I had with PLH but I have spent enough time on these crooks.

and heres the second guy
Well this was originally going to be my “look at my awesome new grow light” post. But there won’t be any pictures because I don’t want any speed reader out there to look at the picture, not read what I write, and mistake that for an endorsement of what I’m beginning to think is one of the worst-built lighting products available.

I’ll admit it, I got taken.

I want to go big this winter on growing some veggies inside, and that means I need some big light. Fluoro’s will handle lettuce and such okay, but if I’m going to get any serious tomatoes I need some serious light, right? So I head out (virtually) to a retailer and I start browsing through lights, ballasts, etc. I wanted to be able to run HPS and MH both, so I could blast my plants with blue-spectrum and encourage a lot of leafy growth without much height, and HPS for when I start getting some tomatoes (the redder spectrum is better for ripening.) I’m there, weighing my options, going cheaper on the one hand or paying more for quality, and being who I am I like to opt for the spot on the curve where you can maximize your quality per dollar. Unfortunately, I left off the part about researching and just went by stats and price.

Don’t do that. Always do your homework.

If I’d done my homework, as I have now, I’d have avoided buying this POS Nextgen ballast. It looked like a great deal. Not the cheapest of course, but it was digital, would run 400 or 600w bulbs, HPS or MH… it had it all. Including what looked like a nice warranty. I got a 400w HPS and a 400w MH bulb for it, and set everything up for a test run to see how much heat each one made. Everything seemed great at first. It fired up fast, was obscenely bright, everything you could want. I was running the lights 18 hours a day to see how hot the grow room got so I’d know how much, if any, additional ventilation I’d need and on the third day I heard a loud “wham” from the next room and went in to find the bulb shattered all over the floor.

Now tradition required the cat be blamed. That she had been napping on the couch when the explosion rudely woke her, and that the door to that room had been fully closed at the time were inconsequential details. Clearly, the cat was at fault. She always is. Unbeknownst to her, I conducted an actual investigation into the cause while maintaining the Official House Policy of Scape-catting. I couldn’t find any reason the bulb might have burst so I figured it was probably just a bad bulb or something. I replaced it (carefully) with the HPS bulb and restarted the test. Two days later when I wasn’t at home, that bulb blew as well. Officially, this was another criminal act by the Scape-cat, but unofficially I was beginning to suspect the ballast was bad.

So I did some research. Sure enough, this wasn’t an isolated incident.

The next step was to invoke the warranty. The retailer I bought it from informed me to contact the manufacturer, “Amerinada” (Ameri-nothing? Weird name. Anyway…) Okay, not their problem, so I shoot them an email. And wait. And wait. Nada. So I call. They ask me if I’m a retailer, I say “no”, and they hang up. I figure I just got disconnected or something so I try back.

How can I put this nicely? I would rather try, under penalty of death by scrubbing with iodine-soaked steel wool, teach advanced multi-dimensional physics to a retarded june bug, than try to have any kind of actual conversation with anyone at Amerinada. As near as I can tell their company policy is to ignore, transfer into oblivion, or simply disconnect any customer that calls in. And I’m not the first person to have that problem either, it seems.

Now that I have done my research I realize I didn’t even get to check for the other common “features” of the Nextgen ballast – namely incredible heat levels and RF interference. I thought the ballasts were kind of hot but I didn’t pay a lot of attention to it and I wouldn’t have known how hot was too hot at that time anyway. And with no bulbs I can’t really turn the damn thing on anyway.

Lessons Learned (again)
1. Always do your homework. Find out what other people have to say about it before you buy it, especially when you’re laying out a few hundred bucks.
2. Warranties only imply that the manufacturer stands behind their product if the manufacturer actually intends to honor the warranty.
3. There’s no good way to explain to your wife that you blew a couple hundred dollars for something that doesn’t work that has a warranty no one backs up, all because you were in too big a hurry to check up on the product or the company that makes it.

Now let me be abundantly clear here – is it their fault that this ballast is a piece of crap and is a more effective bludgeoning weapon than lighting component? Absolutely. Is it their fault I got suckered? No. That’s all on me. It’s their fault they suck, and my fault I fell for it.

What’s really sad is that not 12 hours later I spent more than an hour checking, double-checking, and triple-checking the customer reviews on an SD card I bought for my wife. Yeah, I didn’t want to waste 8 bucks on an SD card that had a bad track record…

Man...I had a feeling C.A.P. was fucking Shady.

Technically, an inverter takes DC voltage input and outputs AC voltage.

I think what you are looking for is a power line conditioner. Might not be the correct technical term, but it brings up results in Google. As part of a UPS, it ought to give you peace of mind and clean power output. The UPS part of the device will prevent the ballast from losing power during those momentary power "off and back on" events that sometimes occur and also during a reasonably short outage. Just remember that HID ballasts draw a good bit of power - buy one with a stout battery.

EDIT: One thing to check, especially if you live in an old building, is the condition of your electrical ground. Basically, make sure there is one, lol, but if possible make sure that you don't have a ground loop condition (Google wiki ground loop). I would expect that it would be a lot harder on an electronic ballast than the old-fashioned type.

Just read the post that was made while I was typing mine in. I feel for you about getting jerked around and lied to. But I wanted to mention that I'd personally be happier with a PROPERLY repaired/refurbished ballast that was shipped out as soon as the company received mine than if they instead had a policy of repairing mine and sending it back - which would fulfill the terms of most generic warranty agreements - but they were kind of slow and it took them a week or two to get to mine. But if someone tells you that you're getting new and you get anything but... yeah, that's wrong. So is taking a return (either a straight return or a return for service), plugging it in, noticing that it works, and automatically assuming that there is NO problem with the device and placing it in the "refurb" pile. Unfortunately, that happens occasionally with some products/companies. A true refurb isn't just quick-checked, and it isn't just a case of fixing the thing that is broken; it's going over the product in order to make sure that it is 100% good before releasing it to a customer.

thanks tortured soul I had no idea either one of those existed and I was an electricians assistant for 2 years, im guessing you also have a background in electrical of some kind?

Also-how hard would you think it would be to connect one of these things? is it as simple as plugging it into your wall then plugging your ballast into that? or trickier? Cuz im not even sure if where I live is grounded....

oh and what do you mean buy a ballast with a stout battery? Ballasts have fucking batterys? Or is that a name used for something in a ballast that doesn't hold power like a battery. Cuz when I think of Batterys i think of car batterys or Double-A batteries u no what I mean.

Regardless how do I find out which ballast have a stout battery? Do you know which companys offer stout batteries? Like does Lumatek? Do these Nextgens have good batteries?

I ask alot of questions and its time to go to bed. Later.

Hydro.Loco

thanks tortured soul I had no idea either one of those existed and I was an electricians assistant for 2 years, im guessing you also have a background in electrical of some kind?

An assistant? Well, I guess it's hard to learn everything there is to learn about a thing when you're the assistant. They are the guys that are busy doing all the WORK, lol (been an assistant of sorts a time or two myself). No real background in electricity. If anything, a background in living in old houses. Have dealt with a few things that wanted clean power - and didn't have it - that gave me "weird" issues and in trying to figure things out, I learned a little bit. Other than that, I'm the guy that my friends/family expect to be able to fix things, and when it's other people's stuff, you tend to try to learn enough to not cause a disaster.

Also-how hard would you think it would be to connect one of these things? is it as simple as plugging it into your wall then plugging your ballast into that? or trickier? Cuz im not even sure if where I live is grounded....

A UPS/line conditioner? The one's I'm talking about you plug in and plug your device(s) into it.

Not having a grounded system - or more likely, an improperly grounded one - is really a separate issue. And an important one, not just for the safety of your equipment, but for YOUR safety.

oh and what do you mean buy a ballast with a stout battery?

Err, no. You want a battery with a good capacity (IOW, "stout") in your UPS. UPS = Uninterruptible Power Supply. Think "battery backup." Power goes off/on and your equipment... doesn't. Healthier for the ballast, likely easier on the bulb, although electronic ballasts have less hot-start issues than older ones.

Other features that wouldn't hurt are surge/spike suppression and EMI/RFI filtering capability. (Electromagnetic interference / radio-frequency interference.)

Sorry for any confusion. I usually have to talk (or in this case, type) longer to cause it. Nice to know that my powers are growing, lol.:cool:

Im glad I bumped into you torturedsoul, you really know your stuff and I'm like a sponge when it comes to this stuff so thank you so much! Yeah Battery back up is definetly a good idea and I will look into it much deeper in the future when I have more cash at disposal. But now I have a bigger issue for you:

so my room mate and partner in....National crime (thank god for Medical Cannabis states) Hooked up his 600 watt non switchable nextgen ballast with his digilux 600 hps bulb and his brand new just out of the box radiant 8 hydrofarm hood and the fucking thing fires everything looks good to go, green light on the ballast then BOOM

shuts off and we get that extremely annoying warning its the solid green w. the blinking red which on the back tells you that means there is a "Fault" in the system that you need to unplug it wait 5 minutes refire it again and if issue persists take it to a tech center or something probably just mail it in i guess. Any idea of the apt may be causing this?

Of coarse I still need to run a Control and try plugging this damn ballast into a more modern home's receptical, like at my parents house or something.

and yeah it sucks living in an apartment that isn't grounded. Well I am not 100% that it isn't its possible that they grounded it to the water main but I havn't found the ground thats suppose to be connected to a rod thats 10ft deep in the dirt and in america your suppose to have it grounded to both. Meh. This apartment complex also has its panels protected in wood fucking boxes. Not metal, Fucking wood lol. Whatever.

Hydro out

thanks again we need to talk more when your feeling better!!!
Get well sooN!

Call that number I gave you and talk to them... You can even tell them you just bought it... they don't ask for proof... if you tell them you bought it a week ago they'll switch it out under their 30 day warranty which means they won't even try to push off a refurb on you...

H2OGanjaFarmr :ganjamon:
Would u mind letting me know that number I got over 5+ 1000w next gen all get that same fault code and I didn't get em from a store how can they be replaced?

Back
Top Bottom