CAP NextGen Ballasts: Problems?

been throwing them against the wall bringing them in for warranty swap out... :)

You know, sometimes late at night I get a little maudlin. I don't know, man.

I'm just old enough to remember quality. Talking about when you could buy just about anything and not even think about the warranty because when your grandkid managed to wear it out you'd long be dust in the wind and he would know that the product had been true.

Now... I don't know, you know? People look at stuff and oft times they make their choices based on a product's warranty, whether a company "stands behind" the product.

But you see, these days products (primarily - but not limited to - things manufactured in China)...

Say something has a five-year warranty. You talk to your friends, maybe search on the internet. Sure, you find a few reports of problems. Naturally - human nature being what it is - you're going to know that people with problems are a lot "louder" than people with none.

Please forgive, the govt.-approved meds in the evenings don't leave me with much ability to make sense. Anyway.

So you keep an open mind, take complaints with a grain of salt. You might even read about how someone has had to return a product and was very happy that the company had no problem with sending them a new replacement, that they "stood behind their product."

Thing is, if you spec a product for manufacture, there are various ways you can do it. One has something to do with estimating the number of warranty claims, calling it one of the costs of doing business, and deciding to find a position where you will still turn a profit at the end of the day.

So... If your manufacturing plant turns out products that cost around $31 to produce and you sell them for $200+, I figure that they've got plenty of room for returns. They're still going to make a profit. They'll probably even apologize when a customer has a problem and rush them a replacement right out. After all, said customer can then tell his/her friends, "Yeah, I'd recommend them; when I had trouble they were all over it without a fight."

Not bitching at any one manufacturer, company, or product. I guess I'm just bitching.

I've been interested in the concept of digital ballasts for some time. The efficiency, the ability to drive both MH and HPS, and now the multiple-wattage features, they all look pretty good to me on paper.

Think next time I shop for a ballast, I might just hunt around for a heavy old magnetic ballast. If it quits working I can rebuild it myself. If it delaminates and starts buzzing like a bee's nest I can clamp it together or something. If I bring it home and run it for 72 hours and it doesn't blow and then kick it off the table and it doesn't blow, I won't care if it's got a three-year, a five-year, or a 30-day warranty.

You know, I don't even have a clue what my point was. Maybe I didn't even have one. Think I'm going to turn in. Maybe I'll feel better in the morning. Occasionally I do.

You know, sometimes late at night I get a little maudlin. I don't know, man.

I'm just old enough to remember quality. Talking about when you could buy just about anything and not even think about the warranty because when your grandkid managed to wear it out you'd long be dust in the wind and he would know that the product had been true.

Now... I don't know, you know? People look at stuff and oft times they make their choices based on a product's warranty, whether a company "stands behind" the product.

But you see, these days products (primarily - but not limited to - things manufactured in China)...

Say something has a five-year warranty. You talk to your friends, maybe search on the internet. Sure, you find a few reports of problems. Naturally - human nature being what it is - you're going to know that people with problems are a lot "louder" than people with none.

Please forgive, the govt.-approved meds in the evenings don't leave me with much ability to make sense. Anyway.

So you keep an open mind, take complaints with a grain of salt. You might even read about how someone has had to return a product and was very happy that the company had no problem with sending them a new replacement, that they "stood behind their product."

Thing is, if you spec a product for manufacture, there are various ways you can do it. One has something to do with estimating the number of warranty claims, calling it one of the costs of doing business, and deciding to find a position where you will still turn a profit at the end of the day.

So... If your manufacturing plant turns out products that cost around $31 to produce and you sell them for $200+, I figure that they've got plenty of room for returns. They're still going to make a profit. They'll probably even apologize when a customer has a problem and rush them a replacement right out. After all, said customer can then tell his/her friends, "Yeah, I'd recommend them; when I had trouble they were all over it without a fight."

Not bitching at any one manufacturer, company, or product. I guess I'm just bitching.

I've been interested in the concept of digital ballasts for some time. The efficiency, the ability to drive both MH and HPS, and now the multiple-wattage features, they all look pretty good to me on paper.

Think next time I shop for a ballast, I might just hunt around for a heavy old magnetic ballast. If it quits working I can rebuild it myself. If it delaminates and starts buzzing like a bee's nest I can clamp it together or something. If I bring it home and run it for 72 hours and it doesn't blow and then kick it off the table and it doesn't blow, I won't care if it's got a three-year, a five-year, or a 30-day warranty.

You know, I don't even have a clue what my point was. Maybe I didn't even have one. Think I'm going to turn in. Maybe I'll feel better in the morning. Occasionally I do.

LOL... For the most part you made sense to me Bro... :bravo:

H2OGanjaFarmr :ganjamon:

Just wonder IF these Ballasts are any good guys? What ya think about their Specs.?

DIGITAL OPEN REFLECTOR GROW LIGHT 1000 HPS + MH 1000W

Operates at a high frequency (20,000Hz) instead of the lowly 60Hz of standard core & coil ballasts. This allows the lamp to operate more efficiently, produce more usable light for plants and last longer. Lamp lumen loss is minimized allowing for a brighter system over time and extending usable lamp life by up to three times it's normal life span!

Plus some of their other features I have no ideal myself on this??

Hey SF,
How's that NextGen firing that new HPS bulb you got?

Dude, I'm like a high school student on a prom date.
(What do I know)

I let these guys get out of hand with vertical height and I need to slow em down a bit. I just started flower cycle today day 1, and I'm going to use the MH for the first two weeks. So today I put the m-ballast in-line until I swap bulbs.

1st Grow - Ebb-N-Grow : Afghan Kush, White Widow, Bag Seed!

Looks like it's going to be a couple more weeks, then I promise, I'll experiment!

Thanks Ganja!
SF

I'm going to use the MH for the first two weeks. So today I put the m-ballast in-line until I swap bulbs.

Will your new ballast also drive the MH? Assuming it will, be interested in knowing how much brighter it seems to you. Subjective observation, I know, but still.

Have fun with your new toy.

Dude, I'm like a high school student on a prom date.
(What do I know)

I let these guys get out of hand with vertical height and I need to slow em down a bit. I just started flower cycle today day 1, and I'm going to use the MH for the first two weeks. So today I put the m-ballast in-line until I swap bulbs.

1st Grow - Ebb-N-Grow : Afghan Kush, White Widow, Bag Seed!

Looks like it's going to be a couple more weeks, then I promise, I'll experiment!

Thanks Ganja!
SF

Make it a quick two weeks bro... :)

Will your new ballast also drive the MH? Assuming it will, be interested in knowing how much brighter it seems to you. Subjective observation, I know, but still.

Have fun with your new toy.

Great question/experiment!

I've been holding of on buying a light-meter. I recently read that plants can only use so-much light energy. I'll have to look up the number again. You can use a light meter to determine optimal distance. I think you just gave me the "excuse" to go ahead and pull the trigger. Here's the LM description.

The newly released Mastech Luxmeter LX1330B is a lux meter with wide measuring range and lots of nice features. A luxmeter is used for checking the level of illuminance, the light falling on a surface, It is defined as: 'the density of the luminous flux incident on a surface'. It is the quotient of the luminous flux by the area of the surface when the latter is uniformly illuminated. - (E = df / dA). This convenient gadget is widely used in many areas such as construction, inspection, photography, greenhouse gardening and etc. The LX1330B can measure from 0 up to 200,000 lux, you can switch the units between lux and footcandle by simply pressing a button. It's powered by a 9V battery, which last for 200 hours or even longer. Other nice features include data hold, auto zero and more. Specifications: Power: 9V x 1, Ranges: 0-200/2,000/20,000/200,000 Lux , Accuracy: ±3% ±10 digits (±5% ±10 digits as over 20,000Lux)

So with this new device, we should be able to see pretty accurately if the m-ballast or the NextGen ballast does produce anymore usable light.

+reps for getting me to spend some more coin! ;-)

SF

Great question/experiment!

I've been holding of on buying a light-meter. I recently read that plants can only use so-much light energy. I'll have to look up the number again. You can use a light meter to determine optimal distance. I think you just gave me the "excuse" to go ahead and pull the trigger. Here's the LM description.

So with this new device, we should be able to see pretty accurately if the m-ballast or the NextGen ballast does produce anymore usable light.

SF

Do it!! LOL...

Got any toys on the list that could accurately check for spectral shift between the one setup and the other? That would be interesting.

The GF would be WAY better at that than me, lol. (She has lots of experience. Unfortunately.:thedoubletake:)

Well SF... I think we are the only two having problems with the NextGens... LOL. Guess that means they're good ballasts after all... bet we both just got back the same ones we sent them... wouldn't surprise me one bit... make them send you a new one before you send them yours back... :)

I dont have E balasts but Ive heard the same thing on the forums. Its not a Lumatek or CAP problem per say but the lamps. My supply guy will sell what ever you may order but he will be 1st person to recomend magnetic balasts ....E balasts have very few problems, M balasts have no problems
Pitviper,
I have read everyone of your journals, and you're the man !! If you of all people say i need a M. ballast, then that's what i'll do. Do they make more noise ?? Thanks !! :surf::popcorn::smokin:

Pitviper,
I have read everyone of your journals, and you're the man !! If you of all people say i need a M. ballast, then that's what i'll do. Do they make more noise ?? Thanks !! :surf::popcorn::smokin:

Yeah, Pits the man.

The m-ballast doesn't really make any noise. At least the one I picked up. It does run hot, about 111F on the surface of the unit. So perhaps consider where you place it. The m-ballast that I replaced the NextGen with has been running flawlessly for about a week!

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Peace.
SF

Yeah, Pits the man.

The m-ballast doesn't really make any noise. At least the one I picked up. It does run hot, about 111F on the surface of the unit. So perhaps consider where you place it. The m-ballast that I replaced the NextGen with has been running flawlessly for about a week!

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Peace.
SF
Stinkfinger, Is the cord long enough, to position the ballast outside the tent ?? Thanks for the info !! Where did you buy a M-ballast ?? This tokes for you !!

Stinkfinger, Is the cord long enough, to position the ballast outside the tent ?? Thanks for the info !! Where did you buy a M-ballast ?? This tokes for you !!

Slo.

Sent you the location via PM. As for the cord, I believe it's at least 8'. I would figure your light fixture probably has a decent length of cord also, shouldn't have a problem.

8 Ft 120V grounded power cord included
Accepts Optional 15 Ft All System lamp and cord set

SF

Ok I have 12 600s hundreds now running on a 50 amp cap clm8x (x2) 240v controller and have had zero problems for 4 months. I use Ushio bulbs they were desined to run on e Ballasts I live by DH and they swear by em and if I have any problem thay will hand me a new one so in my very limited exp Iam sold :)
ps they have a repair section there and I dont see them on the benches Just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom