CAP NextGen Ballasts: Problems?

Hell yah... better than calling it quit's! :)

H2OGanjaFarmr :ganjamon:

I'll give em a buzz tomorrow Ganja!

Just installed a light mover tonight. Believe it or not, light fired on the first time tonight. I just don't get it.

Get back which' ya soon!

SF

I'll give em a buzz tomorrow Ganja!

Just installed a light mover tonight. Believe it or not, light fired on the first time tonight. I just don't get it.

Get back which' ya soon!

SF

Which one... the Light Rail intellidrive 3.5? Cool bro... unfortunetly it probably still wont be dependable... LOL.

I have been searching other forums left and right and haven't found anyone else bitching about the NextGen's but it's hard to believe me and StinkFinger have been the only two with problems who frequent forums.

Not for nothin' but do you two have good grounds, decent (clean) power, and no ground loops?

Digital ballasts require steady 60hz power supply. Older homes/buildings often have electical wiring that isn't properly shielded, and as a result the power supply can swing as much as 10% in either direction.

There is a very simple and rather inexpensive fix for this problem, buy an inverter...it'll clean you up tp 60hz and you should be fine. Digital ballasts are alot like laptop computers and plasma tvs, they need 60hz...no more no less...or damage will occur.

Digital ballasts require steady 60hz power supply. Older homes/buildings often have electical wiring that isn't properly shielded, and as a result the power supply can swing as much as 10% in either direction.

There is a very simple and rather inexpensive fix for this problem, buy an inverter...it'll clean you up tp 60hz and you should be fine. Digital ballasts are alot like laptop computers and plasma tvs, they need 60hz...no more no less...or damage will occur.

I can second this - especially don't try and run one off an old generator!

My basement was recently rewired with new lines. I've got a dedicated 20 Amp breaker I'm plugged in to (only ballast on this circuit). However, I appreciate you bringing this up so tonight I'll go put a voltage meter on that outlet and see if that might be causing the problem.

Thanks for pointing that out as a possible issue!

SF

Well I hear the Lumatek's aren't doing bad anymore... If I'm buying new ballasts they're gonna be digital... either NextGen, Lumatek or Quantum... But I'd rather get NextGen... I have been searching other forums left and right and haven't found anyone else bitching about the NextGen's but it's hard to believe me and StinkFinger have been the only two with problems who frequent forums... Hrmmm... Maybe...

Thanks for the advice, and the rep.

So, Lumatek should be pretty much trouble free? They seem to have it figured out you think?

Can I ask, why would you rather go with NextGen? Don't get me wrong, it was what I was leaning towards but now this thread has be second guessing.

Thanks again! :roorrip:

Do you have an inverter you'd suggest? Or a brand? Thanks

Not for nothin' but do you two have good grounds, decent (clean) power, and no ground loops?

I can second this - especially don't try and run one off an old generator!

Yeah... electric shouldn't be the problem... I'll test it but I had a 200a new service put w/a new panel and new wiring straight to the 40a timer and new wiring to the plugs on that timer right before the ballasts were put in, they even upgraded the transformer w/a brand new bigger one... so it shouldn't be the issue... but what the hell might as well... :)

Thanks for the advice, and the rep.

So, Lumatek should be pretty much trouble free? They seem to have it figured out you think?

Can I ask, why would you rather go with NextGen? Don't get me wrong, it was what I was leaning towards but now this thread has be second guessing.

Thanks again! :roorrip:

No Problem Bro...

From what I hear Lumatek hasn't had any recent issues... I've been searching lots of forums and haven't seen anything but good post recently... Ever since they added that dimmer or a bit before... I would just make sure you are purchasing a NEW model... something manufactured recently... Personally I'd get one with a dimmer that would not only allow you to dim it if you wanted to but also you'd know it was a new model... LOL

IDK... Something about NextGen... Actually in all of my forum searchs I haven't found too many people having issues... there are actually acouple people on this site that are using them without issues. I like that you can mount the ballast 65' from the light and the multiple plug configurations... I figured what the hell might as well give them another chance... I mean Lumatek had a problem when they first came out and after getting the bugs out they are fine, NextGen just came out and hopefully have worked through their bugs. I'm hoping I get my ballasts back from the Sheriff soon so I can see if those are still working... if so I'd buy more... if not I'd maybe chuck it up to getting thrown around by the bastards, call R&M, have them replaced and if those worked fine then buy more if not go Lumatek or possibly Quantum.

Yeah... electric shouldn't be the problem... I'll test it but I had a 200a new service put w/a new panel and new wiring straight to the 40a timer and new wiring to the plugs on that timer right before the ballasts were put in, they even upgraded the transformer w/a brand new bigger one... so it shouldn't be the issue.

Sounds like you're good to go. Still, I've seen setups where there were multiple ground locations that were causing a few gremlins with electronics.

From what I hear Lumatek hasn't had any recent issues... I've been searching lots of forums and haven't seen anything but good post recently... Ever since they added that dimmer or a bit before... I would just make sure you are purchasing a NEW model... something manufactured recently... Personally I'd get one with a dimmer that would not only allow you to dim it if you wanted to but also you'd know it was a new model... LOL

Saw in some ad-magazine that the new Lumateks not only allow you to dim the bulb, they'll let you use lower-wattage bulbs as well. 400W will drive a 400W & 250W, 600 will drive a 600w & 400w (at 600, 400, and 360), and the 1000w will drive a 1000w, 750w, & 600w bulb.

I thought that might be useful for those who vegetate with less light than they flower under. I assume (could be wrong) that the 600W will drive a 400W MH which, while producing less lumens than a conversion bulb rated for a 600w ballast, is a lot cheaper to purchase.

Probably be a popular seller.

Hey Guys.

Quick update.

New m-ballast arrived today. Also new HPS light. I'm switching over to flower here in the next day or two and I'm going to give the NextGen a shot with the new lamp. Just curious to see if it'll work.

Probably detail a little more in my journal, but I'll let you know here also.

SF

Sounds like you're good to go. Still, I've seen setups where there were multiple ground locations that were causing a few gremlins with electronics.

Saw in some ad-magazine that the new Lumateks not only allow you to dim the bulb, they'll let you use lower-wattage bulbs as well. 400W will drive a 400W & 250W, 600 will drive a 600w & 400w (at 600, 400, and 360), and the 1000w will drive a 1000w, 750w, & 600w bulb.

I thought that might be useful for those who vegetate with less light than they flower under. I assume (could be wrong) that the 600W will drive a 400W MH which, while producing less lumens than a conversion bulb rated for a 600w ballast, is a lot cheaper to purchase.

Probably be a popular seller.

Yeah... I'll runs some tests on it the next time I'm there just to be sure...

I'm not sure... I read somewhere that the lumatek dimmables use the same energy they just lower the output?! Kinda wierd I don't know how they could use the same energy... where does the other wattage go? LOL. It was on another thread... I haven't looked too far into it cause it didn't make any sense to me... LOL. Before I bought a Lumatek I would definitely check and make sure the owners manual said you could plug a 400w into the 600w dimmed and they didn't just expect you to use the same bulb though... I've seen the dimmer and it seems like it would be kind of easy to accidentally rub against it and turn your 400w bulb into a 400w bulb with 600w of power... LOL. I guess if I had one I'd have to be carefull and take that into consideration... on the NextGen 400/600 the switch is mounted so you'd have to reach your finger nail in to switch it... not saying either is better I just know how clumsy I am and could see myself blowing acouple 400w bulbs... LOL. My next grow I plan on mounting the ballasts above head height though so I guess it wouldn't matter. That's why I got the NextGen 400/600... so I could veg under 400w MH then kick it over to 600w HPS to flower. I'd like to see Lumatek come out with a dual 600w dimmable ballast... that would be awesome.

Hey Guys.

Quick update.

New m-ballast arrived today. Also new HPS light. I'm switching over to flower here in the next day or two and I'm going to give the NextGen a shot with the new lamp. Just curious to see if it'll work.

Probably detail a little more in my journal, but I'll let you know here also.

SF

Awesome bro... Let us know how the ballast performs with the new bulb... what kind is it? If you end up sending that ballast back to R&M make them send you a new one first so you know you're not getting the old one back... I don't trust those techs... :)

Awesome bro... Let us know how the ballast performs with the new bulb... what kind is it? If you end up sending that ballast back to R&M make them send you a new one first so you know you're not getting the old one back... I don't trust those techs... :)

Picked up:
Xtrasun 1000W MH + HPS Convertible Remote Ballast
Hortilux 1000W Super HPS Mogul Base Grow Bulb

Back wich ya soon.

sf

I'm not sure... I read somewhere that the lumatek dimmables use the same energy they just lower the output?!

Ad was in Feb. 2010 issue of Maximum Yield on page 23.

"More than a dimmable ballast, the new multi-watt Lumateks allow you to use different wattage bulbs in the same ballast*."

"*Both input and output power is changed."

Also on page 116 of the same issue in the Product Spotlight section it has a blurb about the Galaxy Select-a-Watt which states that it has the same feature. It also states that IT is the only one on the market that can do... pretty much the same thing that the Lumatek ad states.

I don't know, one is purple and the other is green but for all I know they might both come from the same factory in China. Just repeating what I read. Those magazines are full of ads, that's how they make their money. If you get something at a hydroponics store they'll probably toss one into your bag without asking your permission.

Ad was in Feb. 2010 issue of Maximum Yield on page 23.

"More than a dimmable ballast, the new multi-watt Lumateks allow you to use different wattage bulbs in the same ballast*."

"*Both input and output power is changed."

Also on page 116 of the same issue in the Product Spotlight section it has a blurb about the Galaxy Select-a-Watt which states that it has the same feature. It also states that IT is the only one on the market that can do... pretty much the same thing that the Lumatek ad states.

I don't know, one is purple and the other is green but for all I know they might both come from the same factory in China. Just repeating what I read. Those magazines are full of ads, that's how they make their money. If you get something at a hydroponics store they'll probably toss one into your bag without asking your permission.

Awesome Bro... Yeah I have that Maximum Yield I just haven't read it yet... still trying to catch up on my High Times, Weed World, Skunk, and Urban Gardener... LOL. It's not easy to get reading done with two kids and full time gardening... :) That's awesome though... Know what that means? I was right and you were right... how often do two people with different information and two different answers come to be right? Not often... only when one person's information is outdated by a month... LOL. Well then... as long is the price is around the same and NextGen's don't show their worth I'll probably go Lumatek... :)
I'm sure they do come from the same factory in China though... I swear I was looking on Ebay and Came across a ballast that looked just like a Lumatek but you could switch between 400/600/1000 watts... it was only 130 bucks so I didn't think it would work... LOL. It's probably Lumateks next ballast update.
Awesome find bro... I would have probably bought the older model then found that shit out a month later... been throwing them against the wall bringing them in for warranty swap out... :)

Back
Top Bottom