Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How do I properly dry and cure my harvest?

Blog Entries

How do I properly dry and cure my harvest?

Keep the drying area dark, the air well circulated and exchanged with fans, the temperatures in the lower 70's and the humidity between 50-60% with a dehumidifier, if necessary. The bud will smoke smoother if it takes around a week for the moisture to evaporate, quicker drying will harshen the taste and degrade the burning properties.

After drying, any variety benefits from a slow cure. Curing involves atmospheric oxygen to metabolize cannabinnoids and terpenes into more desirable forms. After the harvest is dry enough to create a snapping sound when stems are bent, the material is placed in sealed glass containers. Once the oxygen is consumed within them, the process slows to a halt.

The jars should be opened and aired out once or twice every 24 hours. If you smoke a bud as soon as it is drys, it is nothing like it becomes after a nice slow dry and cure. The buds must remain dry with no moisture from inner stems still dispersing, kept out of direct light and the ambient temperature/humidity should be comfortable for humans. I usually vacuum seal and refrigerate after 3 weeks, but have extended the curing time to 5 weeks, if discernable improvements were still occuring. No bud should be smoked before its time.

Peeling stems for a faster drying period

Peeling stems is a much quicker way to dry the product. The first day of drying i would normally cut all fan leaves off and score the main stem with a sharp knife. Peeling the stem exposes the inside of the stem to air, cutting drying time by 20%. You can do this scoring ritual everyday for 5 days until all is dry

Blog Entries

Re: How do I properly dry and cure my harvest?

Nice info i will use this as the harvest commandments
    creamyB likes this.
    IN GOD WE TRUST ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !

To All Of The Gurus Of Grow

For those about to Grow WE SALUTE U

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Marijuana View Post
    Keep the drying area dark, the air well circulated and exchanged with fans, the temperatures in the lower 70's and the humidity between 50-60% with a dehumidifier, if necessary. The bud will smoke smoother if it takes around a week for the moisture to evaporate, quicker drying will harshen the taste and degrade the burning properties.

After drying, any variety benefits from a slow cure. Curing involves atmospheric oxygen to metabolize cannabinnoids and terpenes into more desirable forms. After the harvest is dry enough to create a snapping sound when stems are bent, the material is placed in sealed glass containers. Once the oxygen is consumed within them, the process slows to a halt.

The jars should be opened and aired out once or twice every 24 hours. If you smoke a bud as soon as it is drys, it is nothing like it becomes after a nice slow dry and cure. The buds must remain dry with no moisture from inner stems still dispersing, kept out of direct light and the ambient temperature/humidity should be comfortable for humans. I usually vacuum seal and refrigerate after 3 weeks, but have extended the curing time to 5 weeks, if discernable improvements were still occuring. No bud should be smoked before its time.

Peeling stems is a much quicker way to dry the product. The first day of drying i would normally cut all fan leaves off and score the main stem with a sharp knife. Peeling the stem exposes the inside of the stem to air, cutting drying time by 20%. You can do this scoring ritual everyday for 5 days until all is dry
    Peeling the stems...huh. Haven't done that before. Glad I stumbled on this thread.

An oldie, but a goodie.

Anyone have any experience with this?

420 Member
    Blog Entries

If my buds seem to dry to quickly while hanging them should I put them in a closed plastic bag overnight to redistribute moisture and then remove them the next morning and continue hanging or is this a bad idea?

Nice tip about the peeling. I'll be sure to give it a go!
    Peace and Sabotage
    Tyler
    Paper Street Plant Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpappy Sr View Post
    If my buds seem to dry to quickly while hanging them should I put them in a closed plastic bag overnight to redistribute moisture and then remove them the next morning and continue hanging or is this a bad idea?
    Pappy...plastic bags are never a good idea for fresh buds. They can cause your weed to mold and we do not want that.

i had a group of tiny buds still on stalks that i had stored in a ziplock bag with the bag OPEN and in less than a week it all had white mold on it.

Any mold is bad news, anytime you ingest mold be it eating or smoking it...it can be harmful, if not fatal.

lesson learned...no plastic baggies JARS and only after it has been cured.

My jars are waiting

420 Member

Nice info

Im not new to the gig but im new to this site, I have tried it all. in Jars , In Ziplock bags , In Rubber Maid bowls with lids.. NOTHING Beats Mason Jars or Glass Jars period. Dont Grow for months to ruin it in days. Take peoples word for it and use Jars.

Moisture packs in the 62-65% range can help revive overdried buds if you go too far. Boveda makes a product that works great for a 1/2 quart jar. I fill 1/2 full with bud and throw in a pack...90 days later that overdried hay is usually a lot more palateable and smoother smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Marijuana View Post

there seems to be a lot of confusion on curing, first i dont think we really want the thc and terpenes to change much these are things we want to preserve as is and not degrade it there might be some benefits having it decarbed but anything already decarbed is on its way to becoming cbn. as for terpenes curing simply brings them out because its not being diluted with other grassy smells.

Here i will try to explain everything someone needs to know to experiment with curing on their own. the curing of cannabis is really a combination of three differents things 1) curing which is specifically pulling moisture from the center 2) ripening, this is a oxidative proccess powered by enzymes which degrade starches chlorophyl possibly lipids into simple forms. 3) aerobic decomposition some call it fermentation but fermentation is only anaerobic, bacteria feeds on the compounds broken down by enzymes and anything enzymes could not break down. it is possible there is some anaerobic fermentation going on as it happens in a oxygen free envriroment, fermentation usually produces bad smells which is not something we want. that being said some teas and most cigar tobaccos are fermented but in very controlled situations, fermentation may only work before plant material has been dried so you could easily end up with compost. oxygen is an enemy of thc which is why fermentation could be useful. i still have much research to do , so think of cannabis buds as a combination of a fruit and a leaf then research the types of proccessing done to leaf a fruit products after harvest

ethylene gas is used to cause the plant to produces enyzmes which quickly breaksdown clorophyll to bring out colours, neutralize acids and convert starch into sweet sugars. for smoking we still dont want sugar so thats were the bacteria comes in

I must add to my last statement, terpenes do change in a way, essentially their atoms bind together into forms that cant be evaporated away as easily this also raises their melting point so the bud can lose its stickyness and become easier to bust there may also be other reactions adding to this, the decarbing of thc actually lowers the melting point which is why decarbed honey oil exspecially (if its been winterized) is usually fairly runny even though the lower boiling point terpenes have mostly evaporated so thats not one of em

Quote Originally Posted by tsmit420 View Post
    I must add to my last statement, terpenes do change in a way, essentially their atoms bind together into forms that cant be evaporated away as easily this also raises their melting point so the bud can lose its stickyness and become easier to bust there may also be other reactions adding to this, the decarbing of thc actually lowers the melting point which is why decarbed honey oil exspecially (if its been winterized) is usually fairly runny even though the lower boiling point terpenes have mostly evaporated so thats not one of em
    more of a molecular binding then an atomic one

Member of the Month - September 2014 Antics's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've always been told that mold grows better in dark environments.

Why would the drying area be best kept dark? Is it a different type of mold that prefers light? What makes it best to dry in the dark, opposed to with a few lights on?

Quote Originally Posted by Antics View Post
    I've always been told that mold grows better in dark environments.

Why would the drying area be best kept dark? Is it a different type of mold that prefers light? What makes it best to dry in the dark, opposed to with a few lights on?
    It's the same reason you store your flowers in cool dark places: light and heat breaks down THC and other cannabinoids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast