Need advice from experienced grower! Space issue & preparing for flower

noob1457

Hi guys!

I am growing blue dream and planning to attempt to do a Scrog. I am growing 4 clones in a 3by3by7.5ft area with a 400 watt HPS air cooled setup.

4 Blue Dream clones (definitely sativa dominant)
400 watt hps aircooled
Blackgold Soil
GH Biothrive grow feed

Wanted to know from some growers how long into flowering I can expect blue dream to stretch. What are some ways to minimize it? I have been attempting some lst and fimming to keep plants bushy and try to get my canopy even. How do you guys think the plants look? Think I may have burned the plants a bit with nutrients about 4 days ago on their first feeding ever. Plants are now back to growing vigorously.

ADVICE NEEDED ASAP PLEASE :thanks:

lsteeee.jpg
lst64.jpg
lsted.jpg
setup83.jpg
VENT.png
bent_the_moost.jpg

Thanks!

noob

re: Need advice from experienced grower! Space issue & preparing for flower

Are you mainly wondering when to flip them to flowering to manage the space? I don't grow blue dream, but I scrog plenty of sativas. I think blue dream is close to half indica- maybe 60/40 sativa.

true, I heard blue dream usually stretches like crazy though. How long will a typical sativa stretch for after the switch to 12/12?

yeah. when they stretch after the switch to 12/12 is it productive growth forming more bud sites? or is it just stretching the internodes out?

Well, I doubt if the BD will be a problem for you. I'm growing four different pure sativas at the moment and scrog three of those ones very regularly. I'm not a mega expert grower - but scrogging is easy and I haven't found a plant that wasn't completely tameable as long as you keep on top of it. It almost doesn't matter how much a plant stretches as long as you keep lashing it down to the screen. I've seen a couple people with crazy willow trees plants that got away on them, but I highly doubt that's what you have.
Hmmmm... I'd say most of the sativas I have stretch for around 4 weeks or so. Some longer.
Yes it will be productive growth, and also buds will appear at all nodes. Basically you try to lay the plant down flat on the screen and end up with a bud every few inches. You usually have to trim a few bud sites and limbs and do some manicuring.
I normally put my screen on at the start of flowering because of my space restraints in veg. I'll squeeze a fairly big sativa into a smallish screen, and that's before it even starts the stretch.
Start a journal, or just continue to post here if you'd rather. You'll get plenty of help. Imo you've got lots of time still before needing to worry about the stretch.

I've been asking around among the growers I know who grow the BD. There are different versions. Most of them have the HSO breeders version. Is that what you have?

I have the darkheart nursery clones check out this: Blue Dream

They are sativa dominant dj short blueberry crossed with santa cruz haze. Supposed to be a heavy yielder. Got the clones kind of tall so have been spending time trying to keep them shorter and promote some bushiness.

I checked that. Looks like a good strain. I don't think you hav a problem controlling stretch.
- 'heavy yields'
- 'flowers in 8 -10 weeks'
- says to me- not anything close to a pure sativa and with those attributes it won't be crazy stretchy.
In my journals I've got lots of examples of scrogging, sativas and indicas. I can post some pics and examples sometime if you have specific questions.
I say let them grow. When your space is about 3/4 full then flip to flowering. You'll have to do some training but that's what scrog screens are for.
If you're feeling cautious then flip at a 60% full grow. But even if your room was packed to the gills before you flipped, you'd still be fine imo, just takes more training. Myself I usually move to flowering when the plant can fill a screen, or more than fill it.
Any questions just fire away. If you stick around and start a journal, post a link here. :thumb:

I am trying to fill the grow space but also kind of want to switch to flower by at least November 15th. My question is do those plants look like those side branches will come up as colas? Tried to fim but not sure I did it right. What do you think?

If you're growing in the same space then you can put the screen on and use that to train the branches out sideways. Otherwise you can drill holes along the lips of your pots and use pipe cleaners (best IMO) or other fasteners to tie those branches down and spread them out. Anything that's up on the surface plane on the light will produce.
What are you growing in? Perlite drain to waste? Hempy pots?

put clones in blackgold soil which I believe has a little perlite mixed in. They are in 1 gal pots right now and was thinking I would transplant to 3 gal air pots. What do you think?

they have been in these 1 gal pots for a little more than two weeks now and wondering if I should transplant now for two weeks of veg more until start of flower.

I subbed to your journal. See the soil now- it was the white background I thought was perlite.
How big is that space? I'm trying to determine how big the plants will end up.
Yes I think you should transplant, and veg longer, I'm just not sure from looking at them whether you should go with two gallons or three.
A three gallon pot is good for a plant about 24+" high when unscrogged. That might translate into about a 16-18" square area of scrog screen (? - I'm guessing here, that may be off).

It is a 3by3by7 tent with a noisy 750cfm extractor fan that keeps temps optimal at 70-79 never below or above. Humidity is at 48-58%. I am actually going to Home Depot tomorrow for a scrog screen and would love a link to a good diy or your own. Contemplating a wall mounted oscilating fan so I don't waste any screen space and light coverage but then I couldn't run a tower fan which are slim anyway. What do you think?

Three gallon pots sound about right then.
Anything will work for a screen. If you're not going to be needing to raise or lower it then you can just attach eyebolts (or nails or whatever) to the walls every 3-4" with a crosspiece across the front (where there is no wall) and run a crisscross with string. Or prepare the eyebolt/nails setup on strips of wood and screw those to the walls. Metal fencing works, or any sort of grating like that. I like about a 4" mesh spacing. All it is- is something to tie to.
A wall mounted fan would be great. I wish I had a few. I just made a little shelf for a small desk fan, and mean to get more when I remember.
I made individual screen contraptions for my grow. Not what you need for your situation.

It's good to have at least 10" space between the top of the pot and the screen, so plan your plant height around leaving some space. Makes watering and trimming way better, and better airflow.

Hey any advice on feeding schedules.

Was planning on using the following:

-Emerald Harvest 3 part series (Micro,Grow,Bloom)
- Roots Organics Big Swell
-Advanced Nutrients Cal Mag Plus
-Advanced Nutrients Pirahna Microbial Powder

Does this seem like overkill on nutes? Definetely planning on using less than recommended first few feedings then going from there. Only question is since these nutes are all from different companies should I be worried about overloading on certain nutes ie; Iron, Nitrogen, etc...

Back
Top Bottom