What is a good way to protect your plant from a hurricane?

HazeMan

Anyone living on the east coast? What steps should one take to protect their plant from hurricane irene? Would it be better to try and cover it, or to brace it with sticks? Any imput is welcome.

There are some ways to prepare the plants from high winds caused by the hurricane.

- Trim off some branches allowing wind to blow through, and at the same time you're pruning for more growth to take place.

- Water less often but thoroughly soak it. The water penetrates deep into the soil allowing roots to search deep for water. This will help form deep roots to hold itself up from high wind without falling over.

Adding Windbreakers

- Box in your plants with four tall fence. Add reinforcement to the fence so it does not get knocked over. Add some small holes on the fence will defuse the wind also allow some air to pass through. Partially open fences, with few inches a part are better than than solid fences or walls.

Secure your plants

- Put a large stake in the middle and tide the main stock to it for security.

- Add smaller stakes around the tree with a robe to the main stock to hold it in place 360 degrees.

Good luck with the storm!

I would drive a metel rebard stake into the ground. Then tie or shrink wrape the plant up like an x-mass tree comes. Then tie the plant up to the stake very good with rope or shrink wrape. Pound the stake in a few feet. The shrink wrape would protect the plant well. Metel stake so it cannot break. You can shrink wrape a plant to a thin bean pole if done right. Just like x-mass trees comes.

If in pots I would move to best cover. Lay them down on the side. Trillis netting them to the gound.

Been thinking about this. And this is what I would do. Granted I never been in a storm like this. But I think this would be my plan.

I had to pick my turned over plants several times today because of that storm. no damage thank God! my plants went through a hurricane and an earth quake all in one week. we just got wind maybe 20-30 mph no rain. good luck with Irene, dirtfarmers ideas sounds solid.:Namaste:

Can you bring them inside? With 60-80 knot wind gusts and up to 50 mph sustained, there will literally be NOTHING LEFT of them including the pots in many cases!

If you are going to be seeing sustained winds over 45 mph, indoors under secure shelter is your only real hope.

Sorry to be so negative, but this ain't no run of the mill wind storm! Depending on location you could be looking at 8-10 hours of sustained winds of 45- 60 mph with gusts to 100 !!!

If you have not experienced this in person before, it is something you will NEVER FORGET!

Good luck and STAY SAFE! No plant is worth your life trying to save.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

The OP hasn't been on since a minute after he posted this thread. I hope he - and his plants - survived.

Back
Top Bottom