Skill Level: Medium
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Chill Time: N/A
Serving Size: 1 gumdrop
Yield: about 60 gumdrops
• 4 envelopes (¼ ounce each) unflavored gelatin
• ½ cup cold water
• 2 cups Magical Sugar
• ¾ cup water
• ½ teaspoon Lorann Super Strength Flavoring (any variety)
• ½ teaspoon Tart & Sour Flavor Enhancer or citric acid (if using fruit flavors such as lime, lemon, orange, cherry, etc.)
• Gel or liquid food coloring, as desired
• Additional Magical Sugar for coating
1. Spray a 9 x 9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray, and line it with parchment paper.
2. Combine gelatin with ½ cup of cold water in a small bowl, and set it aside for a few minutes to soften the gelatin.
3. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the Magical Sugar and ¾ cup of water, and bring it to a boil.
4. Remove the pan from heat; then, and add the flavoring, Tart & Sour (if desired), and food coloring.
5. Add the gelatin mixture to the hot syrup, and stir it with a wire whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
6. Stir in more food coloring if necessary to attain the desired hue.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
8. Refrigerate overnight or for several hours until well chilled.
9. Coat a large cutting board with sugar, and turn out the chilled block of gelatin onto it. Use small cookie cutters to cut out shapes; or, form gumdrops using a knife to slice the block into large strips and then into small squares.
10. In a bowl containing Magical Sugar, toss the gumdrops to coat them thoroughly.
11. Transfer the gumdrops to a colander, and shake off excess Magical Sugar.
12. Place your Magical Gumdrops on a sheet of waxed paper, and let them air-dry for a day or two to crystallize before storing them in an airtight container.
Add a pinch of granular citric acid to the coating sugar for extra sour power!