18 hour light cycle or 24 hour light cycle

I have always had my plants on a 24 hour light cycle throughout the veg. I have noticed that several growers do thier veg in an 18 hour light cycle.

Is there an advantage to an 18 hour light cycle other than energy savings? If there is an advatage what is it? :scratchinghead:

Go with 18/6. Here's some science behind why it's better than 24/0.

"It is safe to assume that you know about day and night and circadian rhythms and the bodies biological clock, well plants have them too. There is such thing as a time keeping protein and repressor proteins. In plants this protein is sensitive to light on the 24 hour cycle of light to dark, this protein in plants is called TOC, here is the latest information on it. At dawn repressor genes are activated by light witch over the course of the day slows the production of TOC and therefore decreases concentration, at night when there is no light to produce repressors, TOC levels rise and are circulated through the plant, especially near meristematic tissue where ALL plant growth occurs. It is this oscillation of TOC and repressors over the 18/6 cycle that keep hormones in regulation for vegetative growth.

During the 12/12 cycle- TOC and its repressors are at a certain chemical equilibrium(keep in mind the concentration and therefore times in cycle are different for all plants, cannabis seems to like 12/12 for its hormone equilibrium for flowering) anyways 12/12 TOC levels stimulate the production of flowering hormones- confused yet, hormones are coming up. Just like an athlete using steroids, never using your god given testosterone means you'll have stunted testosterone production when you kick the steroids. Same in plants, if you leave it on 24/0 cycle, you'll never achieve the proper hormone regulation for flowering, well you will get better vegetative growth,and buds too, just not nearly as potent as if you had done it the way natures intends, so remember, light and dark, cycles of TOC regulate expression of hormones, mainly gibberellins and ethylene."

Go with 18/6. Here's some science behind why it's better than 24/0.

"It is safe to assume that you know about day and night and circadian rhythms and the bodies biological clock, well plants have them too. There is such thing as a time keeping protein and repressor proteins. In plants this protein is sensitive to light on the 24 hour cycle of light to dark, this protein in plants is called TOC, here is the latest information on it. At dawn repressor genes are activated by light witch over the course of the day slows the production of TOC and therefore decreases concentration, at night when there is no light to produce repressors, TOC levels rise and are circulated through the plant, especially near meristematic tissue where ALL plant growth occurs. It is this oscillation of TOC and repressors over the 18/6 cycle that keep hormones in regulation for vegetative growth.

During the 12/12 cycle- TOC and its repressors are at a certain chemical equilibrium(keep in mind the concentration and therefore times in cycle are different for all plants, cannabis seems to like 12/12 for its hormone equilibrium for flowering) anyways 12/12 TOC levels stimulate the production of flowering hormones- confused yet, hormones are coming up. Just like an athlete using steroids, never using your god given testosterone means you'll have stunted testosterone production when you kick the steroids. Same in plants, if you leave it on 24/0 cycle, you'll never achieve the proper hormone regulation for flowering, well you will get better vegetative growth,and buds too, just not nearly as potent as if you had done it the way natures intends, so remember, light and dark, cycles of TOC regulate expression of hormones, mainly gibberellins and ethylene."

Thanks Twelve 12! Your answer makes sense. I had to read it twice to completely comprehend!! I am always looking for the most potency. I will try the 18/6 schedule for my next grow!!:thanks:

What do you think about starting the plants on a 12/12 light cycle and growing more plants in the same space? :morenutes:

What do you think about starting the plants on a 12/12 light cycle and growing more plants in the same space? :morenutes:

Going straight to 12/12 from clone/seed will work, when the plant is matured it will just flower. Also, you'll be saving some $ on electricity. Keep an eye on the plant after 3 weeks from seed to take clones before bud productions starts. For clones straight under 12/12 after they rooted will just bloom in 1 week. See 420fied journal for more plants in the same space.

Great info!!! Thanks! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom