1st time and having problems

jamminman

Trying this for the first time and it was going good up until now (week 7). They were looking great at week 5 when I was running 24/7. I kept reading people talking about 18/6, plants rest time etc so I dropped to 18/6.

Shortly thereafter they started looking sickly. I've read some conflicting advice on this forum so I'm a bit confused. They're getting taller (slowly) but aren't getting bushy at all. Very wilty etc. (see photos below).

First I thought too much water (was watering every 3-4 days or so when dry) dropped back to once a week. Have used some very light nutes a few waterings but not often (the soil was new "Happy Frog" organic). Being new, nutes confuse me the most so I've been very light with them.

I water when it's dry to about 2 inches into the soil but deeper towards the bottom it's still wet. Still too much water, too often?

They're in 3 gallon containers, didn't think they'd be rootbound but maybe?

Lights are T5 flourescents, an 8 bulb 2ft lamp above and a 2ft single bulb on each side. Hanging about 4-5 inches from the top and a couple inches from the sides. Currently in a closet with Fan.

The humidity is really low 25-30%. Temp in the 70's.

Leaves have always felt dry, even when the plants were healthy, I assume this is humidity related.

Thanks in advance.

DSC_3978.jpg

DSC_3979.jpg

DSC_3980.jpg

DSC_3981.jpg

DSC_3982.jpg

Looks like a combination of too much watering and the PH being off - they're starting to starve to death.. Do you have any way of checking the PH of the water you're using?

You can also try foliar feeding them for a few days to help them perk up a bit.

Peace
MC

I do have an inexpensive electronic ph/light/moisture meter and have experimented with testing the water but I can't say I trust the meter. It seems like everything I've tested gives the same reading (on the alkaline side in the high 7 range). I will try again.

In terms of watering, is once a week enough? Like I say, the top 2 or so inches dries out in 3 or so days but about 3-4 inches down it still reads as wet. It never seems to get dry deep in the soil. I assume that means there's a drainage issue, like I say the soil is "happy frog" organic and I was told it was good.

If there is a ph issue should I water with ph adjusted water right away, even if the soil is wet at the bottom (currently 3 days since last water) just to get the soil ph better? Or should I wait a while to let it dry out more before any more watering? I'm really concerned with the watering issue, don't know which would take precendent water or ph.

I assumed it was overwater, ph or rootbound so I guess I'm starting to understand a little.

Is a 3 gal pot big enough? If not I may transplant and then get the ph adjusted. I think next time I will do 5 gal from the start to be safe.

Didn't know this would be as tricky as it is, I have a bunch of houseplants that are healthy as heck with once a week water and never having nutes.

Thanks

Yeah - those kind of PH meters are crap. They will not work at all if just stuck straight into water. If you're in the USA using city/tap water, it's pretty safe to assume it's in the PH 7.5 - 8.5 range. Use a heaping teaspoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon to lower the PH into a more acceptable range. (and the plants love the fermented apple juice to boot)

So if the soil is really soggy at the bottom of the pot, it would probably be a good idea to re-plant them in some fresh dirt rather than waiting for the stuff in the pots to dry out - just float the old wet stuff off the roots in some water till they're clean and settle the plants back into fresh dirt. 3 gallon containers are just fine for the size plants you have.

If the roots look all brown and scraggly when you float the dirt away you can trim some of them off.. before re-potting....don't worry.. it won't hurt them.... it's like getting a haircut... just make sure you trim any sick or dying leaves off the canopy at the same time, and give them a light foliar feed when your done. After a day or two of shock they will start to perk back up and grow *MAD* healthy new roots in the nice fluffy dry soil.

That meter you have is good for testing the moisture level in the pots. Don't water them until it reads well into the RED or DRY zone at the very bottom of the pots.

Hope this helps

Peace
MC

They look tight so the light is good.
I agree too much water
"I water when it's dry to about 2 inches into the soil but deeper towards the bottom it's still wet. Still too much water, too often?"

Let 'em dry out.
RootBound, oh yeah and
A majority of your root system is in the bottom of the pot about now,
they can drowned or worse get root rot.

Wait till the pots start to feel light before you water, pick them up to feel the weight when wet and as they dry out they will get lighter, best way I know to gauge water needs.

ferts are easy , learn what NKP is.
High N and K for veg, High P for flowering.
Always follow the Directions On the Fert Container, key here :)

Vegetable 10-10-5 for veg
Flower 5-5-10 for Budding

I transplant a couple weeks before or more, before flowering,
since I mainly flower clones.
I feed depending on soil,
I reuse mine way too many times some times,
good fresh soil,
transplanted into less than 1 month, ferts once a week.
increase if yeilds seem low.

Beat and Used dirt,
every other day ...
start a weak feed/mix a few days after transplanting
high N going into flowering will reduce Hermies in clones
and give you a higher ratio of females to males in plants from seed

Mothers get fed about once a week.

Awesome, thanks!

I've never read anything about the apple cider vinegar but I will give that a try. My plan... repot (maybe cutting the soil a bit with vermeculite to help it drain easier), correct the ph and monitor my watering habits more closely.

BTW I have been using distilled water and have read differing opinions on that vs. tap water. Some say chlorine (chloride) is bad and I also read on Jorge Cervantes web site that "it's essential to the use of oxygen during photosynthesis and is necessary for root and leaf cell division etc etc..."

Not sure which way to go with that so I opted to be safe and go with distilled...

Don't forget to feed them when you re-pot - they are hungry and need some nutrients. A light foliar feed the first day will help them spread out into the fresh dirt.

If you're using distilled water then the PH is probably ok or a bit too low. If you mix 50% distilled with 50% tap water you should be about perfect.

Peace
MC

Back
Top Bottom