(2) 400 watt hps vs. (1)600 watt hps

ejb2219

would it be more cost effective or more productive to have 2-400 watt hps lamps flowering around 12-15 plants on a rolling table, and when the 12 hour cycle is up move this set of ladies into a sleeping section in my room, and bring out another set of 12-15 ladies which had just been sleeping in the dark section so the lamps would be running 24 hours.........................OR have (1) 600-800 watt hps lamp flowering around 25 ladies at one time so the lamp would only be on for 12 hours.

Sorry for the confusing question

Thanks. About what dimensions of an area will these (2) 400 watt cover. Would it be sufficent for a 5' x 5' grow area with a perpetual harvest theory of a mixture of bigger and smaller ladies. This is strictly a flowering area. And would you reccomend any kind of side lighting.

25sqft /800watts = 40watts per sqft
you need minimum 50 for veg,
I like 80+/sqft to flower

reduce the sqft you use or increase the wattage

Side lighting, you plan to grow them over 3 feet at finish?
4 feet or more and I would add some warm floros for the sides.

so I have a new idea, what do you think. For the perpetual harvest I was thinking of having one 400 watt hps and one 600 watt hps light flowering a 6' x 6' area, where the 400 watt is mainly over the new vegitating (3-5week old) ladies, and the 600 watt hps is mainly over the older, bigger (5-9) week ladies that are on their last leg in flowering process until harvest. This would be one grow area, so the lights would overlap and have reflection from both lights at the same time. But is the combined total of 1000 watts sufficent for the 6' x 6' flowering section

Why build a square space? Many fixtures throw a rectangular footprint. Also you can then put a light rail to work.

That's not much light for 36 square feet.

That area would be happy with three high-quality 600-watt HPS I think.

Either in a 4' x 9' or 3' x 12'.

Hang mylar tightly (no bunches, sags, or ripples) everywhere or paint everything flat titanium white and you better invest in a good pair of sunglasses (the safety sunglasses
with the tinted sideshields are very nice for gardening lol).

The 400-watt and 600-watt would probably be adequate for an area of 20 square feet but due to the uneven coverage you would be ahead designing an odd-shaped room which might further hurt your effective efficiency.

As always, just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom