2 D-Papillon 315W vs 2 600W HPS - RDWC - Grow

uk grower1

Thought I'd do a grow journal after months of searching and looking at many types of lights to replace my 3 600w lights to try and bring my electric bill down, I went for the D-papillon 315w lights.

I looked at many different lights led's etc. the reason I went for the 315's was because I went to my local shop and started talking to the guy about lights, he showed me a few but the 315's stood out the most. I liked that the 315's (apparently) can match a 600hps with nearly half the electric and less heat...

So I forked out the £940 on 2 lights!! :bitingnails: I was told to run the lights side by side with the 2 different bulbs (GreenPower and Daylight lamp) when I first powered them I was like WOW! The brightness hurt my eyes!

So after about 14 hours with 2 MH set to 250w with my digital ballast's and the 2 315w D-papillon I'm not too impressed with the temperature I thought it would be cooler, my fans are running full as well with outside temps around 13oC. But we'll see how it goes...

System: twelve 25lt pots rdwc with 350 cooler. 400lt rez tank
Fans: one 8" inline exhaust with a T piece to two 5" carbon active Swiss made filters. One 6" inline inlet.
SMSCOM twin fan controller.
Plants: channel plus clones. Not looking to happy tho because I should of potted them nearly 2 weeks ago.

image24580.jpg

image24581.jpg

image24585.jpg

image24586.jpg

image24584.jpg

Water temps

image24587.jpg

Room temperature

image24582.jpg

Temp at plant level light about 18" above...

image24579.jpg

14 hours later, outside temperature around 10oC. Better but fans still running full power none stop, they are a good few years old now so think I'll upgrade the exhaust to a 12" and set it to run about 70% because they are a little noisy...
image24628.jpg

Little update...not much happening at all after nearly a week, no growth on top few little roots starting to show from the net pots so iv upped the temperature a little to 18-19oC. I'm thinking the water might be a little too cold.

image24838.jpg

image24839.jpg

Brought a new controller to get even more control over temps & heat

image24837.jpg

Still very slow but leaves are turning from a pile green to a darker green, iv just increased the water temps so it's now 19-20oC (66.2-68)
I'm feeding with the gh 3 part flora series. I put them up to 4ml per 10l of water yesterday, now I don't know if I'm being paranoid but are some of my roots a bit brown/yellow!? I'm hoping it's because iv gone from 2.5ml to 4ml and the micro in the 3 part feed is a very dark brown...

image25050.jpg

image25051.jpg

image25052.jpg

AAAGGGGGGGRRRR!!! White algae slime!!!! Found a little bit hanging from one of the roots last night, then woke up this morning to find it had more than doubled in size!! So drained the system washed off the roots with a hose pipe. Sprayed roots with h202, then filled system with water and a lot of h202. Let it circulate for a few hours it's now draining again.

I've got some dutch master zone so gonna refill the system with zone in and hope for the best!!! I did find a very very small light leak, I can't see that being the problem but I have put silver type round all the air pipes that enter the buckets.

image25213.jpg

image25212.jpg

image25214.jpg

image25215.jpg

Light leak...
image25216.jpg

Dm zone, fingers crossed this sorts it

image25217.jpg

Not sure if anyone's follow this but I'll keep updating anyway hopefully it will help someone out one day :thumb:

Well not getting excited but 14 hours later not slime on the roots, and plants look the best they've looked in the 2 weeks they've been potted up! So maybe the dutch master zone is going to work...

Sorry the photos keep going on their side they upload like that!? I don't know how to rotate them...

image25278.jpg
image25277.jpg

Thank You for taking the time to post Amigo..... I have been searching for months for a good site and 420 is the Best!!!! I have 2 lowryder autos that are in rockwool and have been 4 inches for 6 weeks... about to drop them into DWC at 50% and double check nutes ppm tds and Ph..... 1st for me at 57 yrs old but I have to.... Can not afford the junk on gets on street and THAT does nothing for my Nerve Damage pain which leaves this old man in tears.... I will not give up and again THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO JOURNAL, you are most appreciated.....

Hi buddy! Good luck with the dwc just make sure you learn from others mistakes, and mine...haha no light leaks, keep the water cool and I'd run dutch master zone all the time from as soon as your plants go in!

My roots are now pure white and plants are looking great! :) I'll upload some new photos soon :thumb:

Hi buddy! Good luck with the dwc just make sure you learn from others mistakes, and mine...haha no light leaks, keep the water cool and I'd run dutch master zone all the time from as soon as your plants go in!

My roots are now pure white and plants are looking great! :) I'll upload some new photos soon :thumb:

:thumb: :cheer: Three Cheers for the UK Grower !!!!!!!! Thanks Mate... You have no idea how much I appreciate that..... Please keep me posted..... I go dwc today...:thanks: :thanks:

Starting to see a difference between the 2 sets of lights now. The MH are on 400w now been on 400w for about 4 days. The ones under the papillons have more side arms compared to the MH side. The photos speak for themselves...

image25670.jpg

image25668.jpg

image25671.jpg

image25672.jpg

image25669.jpg

I added regen a root 24 hours and there's a big difference from a photo taken 48 hours a go...

image25560.jpg

image25667.jpg

Nearly a week on now from the last update things are 'growing' great!

400w MH plants

image25976.jpg

image25971.jpg

image25977.jpg

image25975.jpg

Papillon plants, light looks a lot dimmer but the plants are more bushy than the MH plants!

image25980.jpg

image25979.jpg

image25984.jpg

Doing a bit of babysitting as well for a friend that's gone away today for 10 days, he only grows 1 plant at a time. This is afghan Skunk, hopefully under the papillon lights it will stop growing so tall!

image25982.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom