2017 Outdoor - DIY Highbrix bed opinions

FuzzyGreen

So I'm going to jump right into this topic...

I'm building my first hoop house for this seasons outdoor grow, it's going over an existing garden plot. The soil underneath is bad, just 8in deep there's lot of construction sand, and what soil use to sit above the lawn height is now sunk lower within the bed. It's compact, can't drain because it's lower than the lawn, and frankly it all needs to be covered in plastic sheeting for this grow. Tons of weeds and an infestation of mint.

So to conquer this problem I want each of my six plants to reside in their own garden beds... So far I started eye balling the various sizes that are offered with this corrugated round...

Pallet.jpg

Metalgarden.jpg

Vegmetal.jpg

If anyone's used these... what size and how much soil fit, or if you have an idea for individual raised beds let me see em! Drawings, photos, or easily searchable terms are appreciated.

I'm hoping for a big season with a large harvest... if anyone's wondering scale of the garden

Hoophouse.jpg

My buddy is 5'10"... the peak will be roughly 12' off the ground after adding wood borders.

Definitely start them now indoors so you have nice big healthy plants to start outside.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hello FuzzyGreen. Maybe that space looks too small for 6 mature outdoor plant and whatever container you use will lessen the height available as you are sitting them on ground level. I would put the plastic down,cut a hole in it same shape a container and dig it out to whatever depth fill back up with good soil to plastic level and put your container on site. lots of sand is good drainage and those trees all around will drink a lot of water so cant see flooding there. just me thoughts. lucky you being able to grow outdoors wherever you are. regards

Definitely start them now indoors so you have nice big healthy plants to start outside.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App
I have some I'm planning on using going in my grow journal! I'll take cuttings late Feb when theyre big and have the greenhouse up in March with supplemental heat to start thawing it faster, and just in case it snows again.
Hello FuzzyGreen. Maybe that space looks too small for 6 mature outdoor plant and whatever container you use will lessen the height available as you are sitting them on ground level. I would put the plastic down,cut a hole in it same shape a container and dig it out to whatever depth fill back up with good soil to plastic level and put your container on site. lots of sand is good drainage and those trees all around will drink a lot of water so cant see flooding there. just me thoughts. lucky you being able to grow outdoors wherever you are. regards
It will be much higher than where she stands now! Once the frame is in etc. I'll take pictures of the whole bed next chance I get... I'll draw the floor dimensions onto the picture for yah. I can also borrow a Kubota tractor for a day to dig things out, buddy can bring it by to dig and hold up framework. What kind of height should I look for? They'll be in a trellis by the time they get larger, I'll be training them all to 'lean in' towards the peak and use the borders as my working space

How much do these pack, and what soil are you gonna use?

Ok, but how much do these pots hold? The more soil you give them, the healthier plants you're gonna have.

Ok, but how much do these pots hold? The more soil you give them, the healthier plants you're gonna have.
Based off size the smallest set could hold 25gal, there were 2 larger sizes than that as well. I don't think I'll end up using them, Doc and others brought up their concerns in the high brix q and a thread about potential leaching from the galvanizing...

I use air-pots myself, but I dunno how you feel about them.

Back
Top Bottom