39% extraction yield RSO

That was tricky job to work it out! What you say is use your creativity, to get constant temperature with what you got :winkyface:
I do not have gas BBQ or gas anything. I shall play with my electrical oven. I read about somebody using pizzastone to accumulate heat. I buy one of them and also oven thermometer, which I can check with an old type thermometer (which you have to take out to read). I do a dry run to test.

The key is that the bbq burner is a flame . So when you set that at the lowest temperature the flame stays at a constant slow burn unlike a electric stove where you may set it at 250f and it drops to 220f for 3-4 mins then spikes to 300f for 2-3 mins. The beauty about the bbq is that the heat stays constant , it is up to the individual to vent just right to get a constant 250f give or take a couple of degrees. It does take some patience that is why I use some shake & sugar trim first. I am sure cajuncelt, Motoco or labrat will shed some light on this subject when they read it, they are 3 very ingenious persons that I have gained so much knowledge from. Good luck! StayGold.

You probably converted all your THC to CBN, makes good daytime medicine as its non-drowsy, also just CBD lets you take less. If you leave it in storage for a few months a small bit of THC will become available again but it will never have a big head high.

decarb_graph_zps33f82670.jpg

Uh, I'm kinda getting tired of posting this chart.

With double boilers there's energy loss so the inner liquid never gets as hot as the outer one. I've done double boilers with water and the inside temp is around 8-12 degrees lower than the outer temp. So you got an outside water temp of 212 and an inside temp of around 200 degrees.

I would imagine with oil its the same; considering that the heating process its not immediate; I would take the oil up to 180 degrees (170 inner). When it hits 170, start your timer and raise your temp to 260 (250 inner). Giving it a few minutes for temperature rise I would do 30 minutes instead of 27 and just completely remove from heat.

Motoco has a pretty good guide on double oil boiler decarb on the main sticky thread.
Glad I found this since i recently did a hot oil bath and the same situation happened. I had the outer oil at 250f but the CO itself would only reach approx. 230f. I am assuming the ambient temperature will play a role also? The latest method I tried was to put a stainless steel measuring cup onto the candle warmer with a lid on it, I did reach a temp of 232f with a ambient temperature of 70f, thinking if I could get my ambient temperature up 15-20F I could get a constant temp of 250f give or take a few degrees. Do you think this is being over complicated? Or a risk of burning my oil where it is not in a oil bath? Thanks...appreciate any info.

"The key is that the bbq burner is a flame." Add a little alcohol vapor and............:oops:...bang!

:Namaste:

"The key is that the bbq burner is a flame." Add a little alcohol vapor and............:oops:...bang!

Sorry I should of explained a little more thorough, I use the BBQ for decarbing dry material (I do not decarb material anymore just the oil). Lol and NO I would never use alcohol near a open flame, My second time making oil I had a batch go " Bang" while evaporating off in a rice cooker, and that was outside. So now I always use a fan inside or out.

I also use rice cooker outside, and boil off ethanol, followed by decarbing of my oil ... sometimes I have a lid 1-2cm open, sometimes not. The lid has openings, from where the steam comes out. Did you have the lid closed when it "banged" ? Why it banged ?!? :hmmmm: you make me worried now, but better worried than sorry :winkyface:

I also use rice cooker outside, and boil off ethanol, followed by decarbing of my oil ... sometimes I have a lid 1-2cm open, sometimes not. The lid has openings, from where the steam comes out. Did you have the lid closed when it "banged" ? Why it banged ?!? :hmmmm: you make me worried now, but better worried than sorry :winkyface:
No I never use a lid, no lid and usually outside. The day it became a quick fireball with me had a lot to do with the very humid, no wind, low ceiling day it was. Of course if it is a little breeze I will not use a fan lol. What happen was the vapors from the alcohol hovered down below where the heating element was located causing it to ignite. Luckily I had the lid within in reaching distance or it could of been a lot worst, a little eyebrow scorch about it. Needless to say I always use a FAN now. Stay Gold /|\

To finish the alcohol burn-off and de-carb, I use an aluminum measuring cup on a Waring hot plate, outside with a fan... ALWAYS WITH A FAN. I never use a lid...you can't see when all bubbles and movement cease. I keep an LED thermo gun in my right hand to assure not going over 250f deg. I must keep turning the hot plate off and on to get to and hold the oil at that temperature. Stay with the process.

Stay with the process to avoid overheating the oil.

I have never used an oil to heat with, and I've never burned my cannabis oil. Good luck!

I can't believe this thread is still alive. For a very long time I focused on figuring out ways to extract more oil than with the usual methods. Unlike several here I need to take a permanent dose for life and I kept running out.

An ounce of bud has about 5 grams of cannabinoids in there or about 17%. Any more than that and you're just pulling chlorophyll and plant waxes and even if you filter and winterize it will be hard to go under 10 grams with the heat method. By going hot you are diluting your medicine and the excess chlorophyll will just make it taste stronger.

You can do everything the same but place your alcohol and ground up bud in the freezer for 24 hours, then mix and leave in the freezer for 12 hours, give it a good shake and leave in the freezer for another 12 hours. Strain and filter through a coffee filter. Your oil should come out cleaner and more concentrated.

And then do you de-carb with heat?

Personally I decarb before but whatever works best for you; in my case I don't need THC so I don't boost it and try to get rid of it instead. In other words I decarb to decrease THC content or over decarb on purpose.

Too many people are boosting their THC content and then complaining about the psychoactive effects.

I can't believe this thread is still alive. For a very long time I focused on figuring out ways to extract more oil than with the usual methods. Unlike several here I need to take a permanent dose for life and I kept running out.

An ounce of bud has about 5 grams of cannabinoids in there or about 17%. Any more than that and you're just pulling chlorophyll and plant waxes and even if you filter and winterize it will be hard to go under 10 grams with the heat method. By going hot you are diluting your medicine and the excess chlorophyll will just make it taste stronger.

You can do everything the same but place your alcohol and ground up bud in the freezer for 24 hours, then mix and leave in the freezer for 12 hours, give it a good shake and leave in the freezer for another 12 hours. Strain and filter through a coffee filter. Your oil should come out cleaner and more concentrated.
I just finished trying this method. Good yield and clean medicine. Great work as usual LabRat. So you do prefer this method over the QUICK WASH for a clean and concentrated medicine?. /|\

Wow, its like I'm speaking a weird unknown language.

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD ANYMORE !!!! The high yield is due to the chlorophyll content being higher but cannabinoid content is very similar.

I would recommend the slow and cold method to keep the chlorophyll locked up in a frozen state.

Wow, its like I'm speaking a weird unknown language.

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD ANYMORE !!!! The high yield is due to the chlorophyll content being higher but cannabinoid content is very similar.

I would recommend the slow and cold method to keep the chlorophyll locked up in a frozen state.
LMAO...sorry bud , just so many contradicting methods out there. Just had to be sure considering you are one of the most knowledgeable around on this subject. Thanks again. Stay Gold.

Admins, I deleted the videos, please close this thread.

Bummer you deleted the videos. I watched them several times before trying the method myself, and planned to do so before making it again... Oh well I guess.

I get 4 grams from 1 oz of buds with the fast freeze wash and boil off. I'm confused why you can't get below 10 grams per oz. and what we did differently. My oil also put my cancer into complete remission, so I KNOW it's effective. Still, I'm up to use the cold method next to compare. Thanks for your info LabRat.

Hello. I am very new to this information and need it QUICK. I'm sure you understand. I am not being lazy, but there are literally 100's of places to look for all the info on this website. Can you please point my to a website where I can learn all of this, quickly, quickly.
I get 4 grams from 1 oz of buds with the fast freeze wash and boil off. I'm confused why you can't get below 10 grams per oz. and what we did differently. My oil also put my cancer into complete remission, so I KNOW it's effective. Still, I'm up to use the cold method next to compare. Thanks for your info LabRat.

Hi Greenliv, welcome.
In my signature (below 'JohnnyOilseed'), you'll see green type.
The second line will tell you how to make CCO (95% cannabinoid medical oil). It's a link...left clicking it takes you to the thread.
The third line in green tells how to use it. Left click it.
The first green line will take you to a bunch of oil makers and users. Left click it too.
First few pages of 'Making' and 'Tacking' threads will get you going fastest.
Best of health and luck to you, Greenliv.

JohnnyOilseed

Back
Top Bottom