600 Diy Wood CAB - Desperate help

stealthed-up

Excuse my nickname but ive gone from stealth to quite obvious :Namaste:

Hey guys ive had another post considering my grow cab but ive changed up alot of things

Instead of using PVC im changing to wood as im hearing the pvc is toxic to the plants..... im using black&white silage, basically the same as panda film with 150pp. My wood cab design is gonna consist of planks with the following dimensions

110cm x 110cm x 190cm
43 x 43 x 75 inches

Ballast 600w Accendo Electronic Ballast
Decided.

1x Birdwing reflector hope i wont run into heat issues..

Lamps

Veg Metal Halide :
600w ( Unknown still on the search )

Flowering HPS :
Ge Lucalox PSL 600w
or
Sylvania Growlux 600w

Please advise me which hps would be most suitable for flowering, On the Metal halide side i may be able to pickup a Son-t if that will work well ?

Inline extractor 350 or 550 cfm ?

1x Centrifugal Fan Inside
2x Intakes for air (Passive)

I will be getting a thermometer.ph testing kit,nutes,organic pro mix&some clones going aswell, really would appreciate some input thank you people ! :thanks:

like ive told many befor if you run a passive intake buy an air cooled hood and exhaust the room thru the hood. not only will it pull the hot air from the top of the grow room since heat rises, it will also pull heat off of the bulb allowing you to get the light closer to the plants with out burning them. a inline fan at 450+ cfm will work fine with a scrubber for just the 1 600watt light. also look up ushio bulbs there a little cheaper and doing a side by side vs a eye hort super hps, the ushio hps out performed and are made for digital ballasts.

Thanx for the input Trunk5, i have managed to find a source who can import these hoods for me, please advise me which one will do better with a 600w hps, either the 6 or 8" Duct

ImportItAll.co.za - Buy a Hydroponic Little Sun Air Cool 6 Panel German Aluminum Hood Reflector w/ 6'' Ducts and Fully Covered Glass Panel

ImportItAll.co.za - Buy a Small 6" Air Cooled Reflector

or 8 Inch

ImportItAll.co.za - Buy a Medium 8" Air Cooled Reflector

Trunk5 i see where you coming from though, really going to get one of these, definately going to be playing a role in bud production ( getting the light closer ) i will get a inline of 450 to 500 & start sucking the air up. I have looked at ushio but they do not stock any over here bro, Would you not recommend Sylvania Grolux or Ge Lucalox psl ?

as for the hood i would go with 6 inch, the venting will be cheaper and less cumbersome in a smaller growing environment. also with a 450+ cfm fan you shouldnt run into any drastic heat problems a simple oscillating fan wont fix. ive never used those bulbs so i cant tell you from experience, but i have heard good things about the grolux bulbs.

Done 6inch hood & 530 cfm inline fan. Trunk5 what do you think about a small oscillating fan just to get the plants moving a bit ? i have read some good things about the grolux too, i really want to go metal halide for veg but i might have to do this first grow with just my hps, thank you again for your input bro

funny you say that i veg under cfl's untill there where i like them to be, i ditched the mh light a long time ago.. most of the newer hps lights have more blue in them so ive veged under hps with no ill effect at all. but yes get a fan in there to move the plant around it will make stems stronger and help dissipate the water the leaves give off. youll notice once it gets bigger and the lights turn on under the leaves youll find little spots of water. if the light hits them then it will magnify the light and burn the plant leaving spots that look almost like a deficiency.

Would you say you would get faster veg with cfl's or with hps because i heard plants can only use so much when they small is this correct ? i will eventually get cfl's though to veg while flowering is going on with the hps, so for now its all good. Ill be making sure there's enough circulation in there, would you say 1 oscillating fan would be sufficient in such an area ?

Ive also been thinking the grolux sounds the best especially because im going to be using a electronic ballast i do have a option for the GE Lucalox Psl though
GE Lucalox PSL
or
Sylvania Grolux

almost got everything together : ) ! Kind thank you for the help bro ! :thanks:

:420:

i just use cfls because i never veg past 3 weeks, i start my veg once the plant starts its second node and you see the 3 blade leaf. the time befor that i consider seedling stage. yes you can veg under your hps but if its a small seedling the light maybe too hot for it to handle. so i suggest if you do use it to veg wait untill the plant has a good 3 nodes so it can handle the heat and light intensity of the hps. the one fan should be enough for inside the tent/cab you didnt skimp on your exhaust so youll be ok.

Trunk5 what cfl's are you using if i may ask bro ? im considering either cfl's or using my 250watt metal halide for now, does make good sense using the cfl's bro, i just eventually want to have my setup so that i can harvest every 8 weeks, also considering & not considering a carbon filter seeing as it wont really be necessary with the smell given off in the specific spot im growing. Appreciate your help very much thanx again dude !

i was useing 42 watt cfl's for veg in the daylight spectrum. you could get away with a 250watt mh for veg no problem, id suggest that over the cfls. but if you use it for seedlings make sure the light is nice and high above them and check to see that the heat from the bulb isnt blasting on the plants.

i feel you on a perpetual grow, i run 2 400watt lights one burns durring the day the other at night and i harvest one plant every 4 weeks. i get about 8oz if not better per plant.

I was wondering about the cfl's and the mh although i have a smaller grox box already done it was meant for my 250w but i couldnt get away with the heat its only 100cm x 50 x 50, cfl's will do much better here right ?

With the main 600w Grow box im also a bit concerned with air flow i know that a carbon filter will half the air flow & a little will be lost along the ducting, how would i work out more or less how much im sucking out with a carbon filter on top of it ?

the cfl's in the smaller area will be your best bet, i know everyone says oh veg under mh bulbs blah blah, its only because they are high intensity and just so happen to be the right light spectrum, as only useing a 250watt mh you would be better off useing the same wattage in cfl's with half the heat issue. only time ive seen mh bulbs do better in veg is when your using 400 to 600 watt mh for veg lighting for plants that will go under 1000 watt hoods. most people i teach ill tell them to use there hps lamp for a 1 week veg right befor there ready for bloom, gets the plant use to the light and youll see the explode in growth you want befor you kick it into bloom. other then that a few cfls will get a plant vegging quite big. i had an og bush that was 11 inches tall and 18 inches wide after 3 weeks under a cfl from seed. just an example..

as for the carbon filter question, i cooled a 2 chamber tent with one fan and one carbon filter. with out the filter my daylight temps were 79, with the filter on it bumped them up to 83. so as long as you get a filter rated for your fan i dont see much of an issue there.

i just use cfls because i never veg past 3 weeks, i start my veg once the plant starts its second node and you see the 3 blade leaf. the time befor that i consider seedling stage. yes you can veg under your hps but if its a small seedling the light maybe too hot for it to handle. so i suggest if you do use it to veg wait untill the plant has a good 3 nodes so it can handle the heat and light intensity of the hps. the one fan should be enough for inside the tent/cab you didnt skimp on your exhaust so youll be ok.

Not to Hijack this thread, but I have to ask..Trunk, you are talking about going into Veg after the second set of leaves right? not counting the first two round ones, you have the single blade come out and then the 3 blade, so that would be the start of my veg period? I ask because I have been trying to figure out how old my buddies plants are, don't recall when they popped..but a few are getting nice size and showing pre-flowers so I kind of wanted to now just how old, so I can use your veg time as a rule of thumb for checking their age I guess by just counting the second node as week 1..sound right?

thats just when i like to start my veg time, thats when i know the plant will be able to start to take some abuse. everyone is different. in my experience most plants start to preflower around there 4th, 5th week of veg.

Another thank you for your reply trunk5, so i rate i sell my 250w mh & ballast then. I can get these specific cfl's they range from 30-250watt picture as follows
Link
1663442133113.png

They are all 6400k-6500k
150w 5500 Lumens
180w 8640 Lumens
200w 9600 Lumens
250w 14850 Lumens

Veging with the hps for one week before blooming sounds perfect dude, i will definately stick to that way.

Trunk5, could i ask what extractor fan you are using & what size carbon filter ? Kind thanx for the help dude! :Namaste: :peace:

:420:

im useing a 6 inch hydrofarm inline fan, and a can 50 filter. yeah those will work for veg lights, or look into 2 foot or 4 foot t5's, they make them in 2 bulb , 4 bulb, 6 bulb, or 8 bulb pannels. i my self have been looking into a 2 foot 4 bulb panel.

Sorry dude, dont know if you noticed i dont live in America? so i dont have 600$ to import a hydrofarm cool hood, do you maybe have any other good alternatives i could look at ? Ive looked into t5's they give 1300lumens for the ones i want & it has a ballast to run 4 of them, wont cost alot but all that work for 5200 lumens ? lol

i was just telling you what i run, so if you can find equipment in your area that is replicas or different name brands by all means pick thoes up. just giving you ideas. personally i went with the hydro farm fan because it was the same cfm as the 6 inch vortec fan but $40 cheaper. also if you cant find a air cooled hood for a decent price the cool tubes work great as well and are on the cheaper side as far as air cooled hoods go.

im useing a 6 inch hydrofarm inline fan, and a can 50 filter. yeah those will work for veg lights, or look into 2 foot or 4 foot t5's, they make them in 2 bulb , 4 bulb, 6 bulb, or 8 bulb pannels. i my self have been looking into a 2 foot 4 bulb panel.

Hey Trunk, I have a 6" hydrofarm air-cooled reflector, I bought a 6" Vortex CFM (420 I think)115V I'm going to use this in a 5X5 tent, is that fan strong enough to pull air out of the tent through the filter, and through the light? in other words the fan would be on the outside of the tent, I think this may be thread I saw the drawing in that gave me the idea....maybe not LOL I'm using a 400w MH and will switch to a 600W hps to flower, thanks guys

yeah that will be plenty to cool the light and keep your temps where you want them to be, im constructiong a 5x5 tent with a 1000w for someone i know. just picked up his vortec fan yesterday got a used one for $120 works like brand new. ran the tent, and the temp is at 81degrees about 12-15 inches from the hood.

Back
Top Bottom