600w GYO HPS system. Any good for $122?

properdoodles

600 Watt Switchable Ballast Hydroponic Grow Light Lamp $122.50

Reflector looks chince, but that is easily upgraded for the money saved on this system.

Any reviews out there?

According to that ebay listing, it comes with a MH bulb.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the GYO stuff. That looked like a good deal, as they sell the same system for almost 300 bucks other places.

unfortunatly I don't know about GYO. never seen one. sorry. I didn't know they are making any 600mh bulbs other than conversions. Thats cool if they are, I'm a little behind on lighting. lol

I'm still pretty new to this. I assumed (doh) that MH were just as common in 600 as 400. But now that you mention it, I see only conversions for sale. Hmmmm indeed. I wonder what will arrive. :/

even if they do send a 600w MH conversion lamp your getting a good deal. The conversion lamp alone is like $79. I'm wondering if it doesn't maybe convert down to a 400MH or something? It will be interesting to see what you get. I'd just keep your receipt and put your hand on the digital ballast every now and then to make sure it's not getting too hot. I do like the digital ballasts, but when they were first introduced into horticulture they were notorious for breaking. I do believe that for the most part they're better now. I hope you update us when you get it!!
:peacetwo:

update:

Came with a 600w MH bulb as the auction stated. Seems to work great. Freakin thing is bright. :trance:

Its the same as the one they list on their site. I wont link to it as I dont know what the rules are.

Specifications:
Power: 600W
Initial Lumens: 54000
Color Temperature: 6500 K
Bulb Shape: T24
Base Type: Mogul E39
Rated Life: 10000 hrs
Color Rendering Index: 65
Installation Position: horizontal

From what I can tell, it appears to be a phenomenal deal. The items appear to be much higher quality than they appear in the pictures. I'll still probably upgrade the reflector at some point here.

Is it wierd the ballast doesnt have an 'on switch'? or is that normal?

update:

Came with a 600w MH bulb as the auction stated. Seems to work great. Freakin thing is bright. :trance:

Its the same as the one they list on their site. I wont link to it as I dont know what the rules are.

Specifications:

From what I can tell, it appears to be a phenomenal deal. The items appear to be much higher quality than they appear in the pictures. I'll still probably upgrade the reflector at some point here.

I picked up a 1000w switchable from ebay as well not sure of its name to tell the truth but when tested it kicks but the mh is producine 120k lumens under a lux meter and the hps is 145000 under the lux meter and also showed it was producing 250w of blue light as well.

Any reviews out there?

GYO systems review...

1seaweed1 got two and one failed within a few hours.

Came with a 600w MH bulb as the auction stated. Seems to work great.

The bulb pictured looks like the 600-watt conversion bulbs that I've seen. You're sure it's an actual MH? What's printed on the bulb itself?

Glad it's working for you, btw.

I've seen switches on lower-wattage "all-in-one" setups such as 150-watt HPS fixtures but I'd say that on higher-wattage remote-ballast systems it would definitely be the exception to the rule. Guessing that a person is expected to use a timer instead of a manual switch.

The bulb doesnt have anything printed on it. The box the bulb came in only specifes that its 600w MH and the color temp. Doesnt mention anything about conversion bulbs anywhere. :smokin:

Ok. Thanks for checking. I have no reason to doubt GYO's word, it's just that if there are 600-watt MH bulbs out there, they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth.

Hope you'll let us know in a while how your light held up and how you liked it.

I just now gave it another look and there isnt a letter or word of any kind on this bulb. Can you tell if its conversion or not just by looking at it? I took pics.

:hmmmm:

The bulb actually looks like a generic equivalent to a SolarMax (or like brand) 600-watt MH conversion lamp - only without the metal reinforcing "band" around the glass at the base - to me, but I could be wrong.

Most MH bulbs are "inflated" to the shape (slightly) of a football.

A conversion bulb is not a bad thing. It'll be somewhat less efficient than a true 600-watt MH would be, but still produce lots more light than a 400-watt MH (and you couldn't use one of those anyway, lol).

The bulb actually looks like a generic equivalent to a SolarMax (or like brand) 600-watt MH conversion lamp - only without the metal reinforcing "band" around the glass at the base - to me, but I could be wrong.

Most MH bulbs are "inflated" to the shape (slightly) of a football.

A conversion bulb is not a bad thing. It'll be somewhat less efficient than a true 600-watt MH would be, but still produce lots more light than a 400-watt MH (and you couldn't use one of those anyway, lol).

Yea, and those arent cheap. You got a nice deal either way!!:rollit:

So using the 600w MH conversion would still be better than veg'ing with the 600w HPS correct?

I'm still kind of nub when it comes to HID lighting.

Back
Top Bottom