A learning experience

Elorian

Hey All!

I decided a while back to give this a go. I have a closet in an interior room that is close to my bathroom, power outlets and no reason for anyone to be near (service people, etc...). I painted the walls flat ceiling white for maximum reflectiveness and set up a 150w grow light.

I took a five gallon bucket and cut a hole for a 10" net basket. I used the planting plugs (2x2 inch) I got from the nursery as a medium to sprout my seeds. I am a somewhat paranoid person so I didn't buy seeds, I had some really good smoke a while back that had a few seeds so I used them. I started with 7 and watched them go for a week or ten days then chose the strongest one and euthanized the rest.

When my baby got about 4 or 5 inches I buried the plug in 1/2" lava rock type material in the net basket and settled it into the lid of the bucket. I filled the bucket with water and added just a single type nutrient that I can't remember the name of right now. It's a general root stimulator and veg growth nutrient mix. I set the water level so the net and rocks were one inch into the water. Then once the roots began to reach the outside of the netting I lowered the water level to one inch below the netting. This took about a week and for the next week I still dropped in water/nutrients from the top to be safe. I do have a flat, round bubbler in the bucket and a powerful air pump.

I did this only to see what all I still didn't understand and to see what I needed to learn and what equipment I still would need if I wanted to try again. The plant is about 6 weeks old and a good 2.5 feet tall with beautiful color and massive growth at all points. I have topped it a few times to discourage height and to creat as many grow points as possible. I have not trimmed anything like the fan leaves, just the topping. This Friday I plan to set the timer on my light for the 12/12 hour days and let it do its thing.

This has been fun and the plant has been a model teacher. At the beginning I had a really cheap grow light system that caused my plant to stretch really bad so I bought a different one - still trying to stay cheap - that worked for a week and then cut out. So I splurged and got the bigger one. It's 150w and small but works great for the small space I have. Once I put the new light in my temp shot to the moon! When I got home from work the temp was over 105. I got a small fan and put it at the bottom of the door to blow under the door. Believe it or not this works well. My temp stays between 77 and 85.

The only other problem I have had is I have absolutely no idea if this plant is male or female. And honestly it doesn't matter to me. I just wanted to explore the process. I am hoping that after I go full on flowering I find the little hairs but if you knew my luck you wouldn't put any money on it lol. But now I know what I need to get and what is a waste of time for my own situation so if I do try to do it seriously I will be able to. Someday I might make it to a place where I can buy seeds in person and try again. I'd love to try some of the named strains I've seen here.

I did get ALL my info from these forums. I just used what was applicable to me, as it should be. So thanks all for the great info and wish me luck on the sexing of my plant!

Elo

I've been studying the nutrients to see what I need. I have Fox Farm Grow Big for the veg stage. I mixed it as the label said to. But I want some really good flowering mix. Some posts really like this stuff, other posts favor that... I am planing 12/12 lighting period - mini sunburst full spectrum all-in-one 150w. I'm looking into a UVB light too for a few lighting periods in the middle of the "day". But I do not have any idea what nutrients to try. Or should I go with the old school recipe in How-To section like a mad scientist and mix it myself?

My ph is 6.1 out of the tap and I use vinigar to bring it down, I try to keep it around 5.7. I only check it once a week and I change the water out every two weeks. I have a couple buckets so I mix up everything and move the lid to the new bucket. I don't look at ppms. I wanted to add this in case anyone wanted to know. I was away when I posted earlier and didn't have specifics. This site is very helpful because of specifics.

Back
Top Bottom