A Letter To WestCoastCannabis: From the Maryland Mayor Whose Dogs Were Shot

Founder
In August of last year the home of Berwyn Heights Mayor Cheye Calvo and his wife Trinity was raided by a SWAT team. Officers Shot and killed the family’s two Labrador retrievers during the raid. Here is the letter that was just written to us by Cheye as well as the story regarding what occurred from August.

Dear Bryn, I write these many months later to thank you for reaching out to comfort my family and I after last summer’s terrifying SWAT attack of our home. The tremendous outpouring of support that we received from our friends, neighbors, and so many complete strangers sustained us through the worst of it, and I continued to find comfort in the kind words as I read the emails well into the fall.

Trinity and I continue to heal, and we always will miss Payton and Chase terribly. One thing that has helped is that we’ve adopted another black Labrador, Marshall. As you can see from the picture, Marshall has brought incredible joy to our lives.

After the incident drew international attention and outrage, Prince George’s County police finally exonerated my family and me of any wrong doing. However, they have refused to apologize and continue to defend their actions in my case.

Over the last several months, I have undergone a personal journey to try to understand how this terrible incident could happen. My initial reaction was that it was a terrible mistake. However, as I have learned more, I have come to understand that what my family and I experienced is part of a growing and troubling trend where law enforcement is relying on SWAT teams to perform duties once handled by ordinary police officers.

In our case, the police deployed a SWAT team without performing basic investigatory work and apparently without considering more measured approaches. Prince George’s County recently has acknowledged that it indiscriminately deploys SWAT teams to serve drug warrants. Preliminary estimates suggest that the county deployed SWAT teams as many as 700 times a year – that is twice a day! Other counties in Maryland also report hundreds of SWAT team deployments a year, and we have uncovered numerous other stories of botched and inappropriate raids, innocent families terrorized, and family dogs killed.

In fact, the inappropriate use of SWAT teams seems to be a national problem. The number of SWAT team deployments nationwide has grown exponentially from about 2,500 per year in the early 1980s to over 50,000 in 2005. SWAT teams used to be reserved for unusually dangerous situations such as the arrest of major criminals known to have high-powered weapons or hostage situations. However, many police forces are using them today against people they suspect of recreational drug use and other much smaller crimes.

The more I have learned, the more I feel obligated to do everything I can to rein in over-aggressive policing. I am working with Maryland lawmakers to pass legislation requiring the number of SWAT deployments and their outcomes to be regularly reported to civilian authorities. By shining a light on paramilitary police activities, law enforcement agencies should find it in their best interests to change their practices and limit the use of SWAT teams to situations where the charges are grave and a violent response can be reasonably anticipated. The Senate passed SB 447 unanimously yesterday, but we expect to run into more resistance in the House of Delegates. As soon as we enact this legislation in Maryland, I intend to work with lawmakers in other states to pass similar legislation. We are also considering actions that can be taken on a federal level.

To help in this effort, we have created a web site, SWAT Raids Are Violating Our Civil Liberties | Make Maryland Great, which tells the stories of a number of innocent victims of traumatizing SWAT raids. It also contains media clips of the coverage we’ve received and information about our legislative work. If you are interested in staying informed about this issue, please sign up for updates that I’ll send every month or so. Also, if you could volunteer for citizen advocacy or policy development work, I would really appreciate your help. Our next citizen advocacy project is a Lobby Night on Monday, March 23rd at the Maryland Capital.

Thank you, again, for your support and encouragement!

Warm regards,

Cheye

Make Maryland Great, Inc.
P. O. Box 4343
Annapolis, MD 21403
(410) 757-2811

News Hawk: 420: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: WestCoastCannabis
Copyright: 2009 WestCoastCannabis.com
Website: https://westcoastcannabis.com/2009/...-from-the-maryland-mayor-whos-dogs-were-shot/

Re: A Letter To WestCoastCannabis: From the Maryland Mayor Whos Dogs Were Shot

Yeah they're not just in Maryland, they're everywhere and its time to reign them in. Here in Washington the swat team is automatically called out on any drug investigation. This country has become way to militarized. Maybe its time we have an open honest debate about disarming our police forces. I don't particularly like the idea but something has to be done about the over aggreassive responses of our police forces.

While I feel sorry for the mayor, maybe more politicians should have their homes raided and their lives put in danger by these overzealous destroyers of basic human rights so that we can finally get a rein on the idiots and get back to working on the real problems in the world.

Hey Tractor sorry to hear about your run in with the man, but you need to sit down and spark up a nice big blunt.
We need to leave the negative and violent attitude to the others.
Pot has always been my drug of choice because of the non-violent tendencies of the people involved in the whole deal. Yes there are a few bad apples, but as we all know you can't have one without the other.
I hate cops as much and probably more than most for the hurt they have put on our society and myself, but as long as I know that at the end of day I can go fishing and spark up a blunt, then I have to just keep on truckin'.
I will not let the bad control my life and ones I love.
Stay positive for yourself and your family.

in response to tractor, i had numb thumbs and marks on my wrist for two years after being arrested for a theft charge that i was not even guilty of. the cuffs were so tight it was ridiculous. my nephew and i were left in the back of a patrol car for over four hours with our hands behind our backs while they served warrants on other people. when i asked the detectives to loosen the cuffs they said, fuck you asshole. the way they burst into my home to serve the warrant you would have thought that i was a major criminal. on another note i was watching a police show the other day and they busted someone in tenn. for 5 plants in the backyard. the plants were no bigger than 6 inches and since they had roots they charge each plant as a pound. totally ridiculous. i know that we need the police but there are too many of them that take their badge just a little too far.

i am sorry to say that i have had my experiences with the judicial system on more than one occasion(nothing serious) and the overwhelming majority of them has been negative. i was treated like a piece of shit by the majority of people that i came in contact with. i can say from personal experience and from the experience of a few friends that the police lie alot. they do whatever is necessary to make the case in their favor. again let me say that there are many good police officers out there and without them you probably would not be able to leave your home but when you run into some that think they are judge and jury they can make your life miserable. the court will believe them everytime.

Weed420, It is way past the time to have "an open honest debate about disarming our police forces". Question: what is it exactly that "you don't particularly like the idea"of? Dis-arming over aggresive LEO's?
We still need a police force of some type and it can be dangerous out there. I want our police forces to be able to protect themselves. Me personally I don't care if there is a police force or not. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. But I understand that a lot of people can't or don't want to protect themselves so I suppose something has to be done.

Weed420, It is way past the time to have "an open honest debate about disarming our police forces". Question: what is it exactly that "you don't particularly like the idea"of? Dis-arming over aggresive LEO's?

What I believe the open-honest debate should be about isn't so much disarming our police, it is bringing into question policies and how the policies are being enforced and what can be done if an officer, or in this case and many many more, or SWAT violates such policies or is called into action for a minor 'crime' such as possession.

I do not however agree with disarming our police, though firearms should be the final straw in the line of duty, there are still multitudes of highly dangerous situations that can occur, as an example the deaths of Philadelphia police officers, 5 since '06 and 3 of which in the space of a week in '08.

As per my experience these police are generally decent people who don't seem to care about things such as bud, and know that there are much more important crimes that need be dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom