A Midstream View - Legalize Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

In 1971, President Nixon declared a war on drugs; it has cost us approximately $1 trillion and counting, jailed or imprisoned thousands of people, been responsible for many deaths in Mexico and our country and has not reduced any drug's availability. By most accounts, our much ballyhooed war has been a fiasco.

In 1975, Consumer Reports, a well-known and respected magazine, wrote that possession should be decriminalized because research had failed to prove that pot was either harmful or harmless.

Isn't that still true today? There are many sincere people who believe marijuana is a gateway to more dangerous drugs and they cite studies allegedly confirming that claim. I believe many studies are conducted by advocates of a certain point of view, including, of course, studies proclaiming the great medicinal qualities of marijuana. I read the results of most studies with several grains of salt.

A friend suffers chronic pain from a life-long medical condition; he is certain marijuana eases the pain substantially. I have no reason to doubt him or the many others who proclaim the medical benefits. Multitudes of people use marijuana strictly as a recreational drug, including too many young people apparently. Teachers I have talked to say marijuana usage has noticeable undesirable effects on youths, including a learning disability. That is a problem only parents and possibly teachers can address. Adult users claim no adverse effects if the drug is used in moderation, which any drug should be. I remain unconvinced marijuana is any more a gateway to more harmful drugs than is alcohol, my drug of choice. Used in restraint, and restricted to adults, I don't believe either drug is harmful. According to California Highway Patrol officers I have talked to, alcohol is still by far the biggest drugged driving problem.

I am convinced there are two main conditions that lead people to abuse either legal or illegal drugs: physical and emotional pain. There are far more dangerous and addictive drugs than marijuana readily available including many that are legal when prescribed by a doctor, including fentanyl, the drug deemed responsible for the well-known artist Prince's death. One expert described fentanyl as "heroin on steroids." Accidental or intentional, it is understandable that persons in constant and extreme pain, mental or physical, will find high-powered drugs hard to resist. According to published studies, drug-induced deaths, legal and illegal, are responsible for many thousands more deaths than motor vehicle accidents. What we can do to lessen the toll is the big question.

Some people blame doctors for over-prescribing dangerous drugs and doubtlessly there are a few careless or lazy physicians who do, but the primary responsibility for correct usage lies with the patient. Prescription users should remember just whose life is at stake. Too many people overdose, either purposely or unintentionally. Many people, tired of living for whatever reasons, overdose purposely; all others should keep in mind carelessness can be fatal.

The acknowledged problem lacks an easy solution. Passing more and tougher laws isn't the answer. Uunless people believe certain rules make sense, they will ignore them.

Our failed experiment with Prohibition (1920-1933) should be a lesson for today. The ban on alcohol was promoted by several organizations reportedly because they were trying to eliminate a few social ills including alcoholism and drug addiction. As is often the case, it was probably a vocal minority that convinced the majority that Prohibition would be beneficial to the country including leading to more prosperity, a drop in crime and a happier citizenry. It didn't happen. Income from taxes on alcohol, on which many states and cities heavily depended, evaporated along with paying jobs for taxpayers working in the industry. As almost invariably happens, when a popular substance is banned, undesirables, having no regard for laws, stepped in to fill the vacuum. Criminal organizations fought for control of the lucrative market. Their wars lead to many killings, including those of some law enforcement officers. No one claimed income or paid taxes from involvement in the illegal enterprises. Some claim the consumption of alcohol did not decrease, but who could positively know? Even though Prohibition proved a major disaster, it was 13 years before it ended.

That well-intentioned but disastrous mistake should be a lesson for us today. Many years ago, a much smarter person than I (George Santayana 1863 to 1952) stated, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." How many times must we be hit on the head to learn?

Spend the money on educational drug reduction programs. Reduced demand would lead to reduced crime. Could everyone be reached? Of course not. But why not try a different approach? It would require a few years for the crimes, including drug-related murders, to decrease. But conditions improved after Prohibition ended. I believe and am hopeful the same will occur if we end or at least drastically revise our failed war on drugs.

Getty.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: A Midstream View - Legalize Marijuana
Author: Ted Shannon
Photo Credit: Getty

Back
Top Bottom