ACLU Tells San Diego U.S. Attorney Laura Duffy To Shut It

Truth Seeker

San Diego's U.S. Attorney Laura Duffy sure has some strong opinions about medical weed.

At the beginning of the crackdown she dared to threaten newspapers and magazines for running medical cannabis stories and ads. Facing blowback for the threat, Duffy retracted her attack on the First Amendment, but has gone on to threaten local city officials in Del Mar with jail time for administering lawful medical cannabis regulations.

Last week, the American Civil Liberties Union told Duffy to can it. Registered voters in Del Mar will have a choice to regulate clubs at the ballot box this November, and Duffy's threats against Del Mar officials amount to "unjustified interference in local legislative matters," wrote David Loy, legal director for the ACLU of San Diego and Imperial Counties, in an open letter.

As far as we know, no city official in any medical marijuana state has ever been arrested by the feds for regulating safe access to the legal drug. Such a move would be political suicide for the U.S. Attorney who ordered it, and ignite a firestorm of protests not only from weed activists, but states'-rights types, and mainstream good governance lobbyists.
That hasn't stopped Duffy and other U.S. Attorneys from tacitly threatening state and city employees across the country with jail. Such threats have been used to buttress the efforts of local foes of medical marijuana, sometimes resulting in delays of entire state programs to get medical pot to seriously ill individuals wasting away from HIV, cancer, and other conditions that cannabis has been proven to soothe.

"This is just the latest in a series of misleading and inappropriate federal threats to state and local government officials across California and elsewhere," said Allen Hopper, director of the ACLU of California's Criminal Justice and Drug Policy Project. "Local and state officials seeking to responsibly regulate medical marijuana are not violating federal law and should never have to fear prosecution."

U.S. Attorney Duffy's priorities have never seemed more misplaced, especially after the recent death of a San Diego State University fraternity president from an overdose of prescription Xanax and OxyContin. Prescription opioids like Vicodin hook and kill tens of thousands of Americans per year now – more than heroin, cocaine and meth combined.

Last week, activists hoaxed Duffy's office with a fake press release stating that Duffy would be shutting down and seizing local pharmacies to fight the public health emergency of opioid overdoses. Of course, Duffy had to quickly issue her own press release saying that lethal, legal painkiller distributors are not a target, but the medical marijuana activists responsible for the hoax will face charges.

Welcome to U.S. Attorney Duffy's San Diego – the Alabama of California.

US_Attorney_Laura_Duffy.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: eastbayexpress.com
Author: David Downs
Website: ACLU Tells San Diego U.S. Attorney Laura Duffy To Shut It | Legalization Nation

I believe any goverment official that does the things that this woman is doing should be removed from office the fact that she is doing this during an election year is prof of how truly corrupt our goverment has truly become to go after a medicine that truely helps vesus the meds.such as oxy and other opiates makes you wonder how much money she is putting in her pocket fromthe companys that produce the

As a parent if she was in my are I would file a lawsuit for not doing her job for the death of my child. Going after legal patients of MMJ and not stoping the influx of pescription drugs to he black market for kids to get hooked on. Deffinately not doing her job.

I am a parent as well and I concur. Decriminalization and decreased federal spending are my two top priorities...I am voting people like her out.

This severe looking woman looks like she could use less alcohol and more bong hits. I kind of feel sorry for her, and her victims.

Sounds like Queen Duffy wants her own little fiefdom. Seen a lot of jurisdictions like this where they think they're lord of all that they survey.

Back
Top Bottom