Additional lighting?

Lottobeats

420 Member
To begin with, I lost a lot of veg time outdoors due to overwatering or some sort of issues. Plants are growing slowly, but recovering. I wana put a 600 watt HPS outside porch in the last’s weeks of this month before we go into flower, and extend my veg time until mid August ( first week of August flowers start to appear here ) or a wee bit more to let the clones recover and catch up. Im not looking for heavy yields, only want healthy full developed plants going into flower. The area where I want to hang the 600 watt is a porch but acts like a green house if that makes any sense? The plants will get natural sunlight all day and 2 hours of HPS from 8:30 pm to 10:30pm every night until plants veg out right. Ive spent a lot of time, money to just let them flower 3 weeks from now. So If it works I’ll be harvesting by halloween instead of the first weeks of October.

You're trying to prevent the switch to the flowering phase for a time? Yes, the addition of artificial lighting can do that. Not sure I'd spend the money running a 600-watt HPS when a few strategically-placed CFLs can accomplish the same thing, lol, but if they're in a location where they're not getting full normal sunlight for much of the day (or your weather sucks and it's overcast a lot), then you could see a higher rate of growth from doing so, I suppose. Depends on exactly what you're trying to do. Would also depend on lighting placement, choice of reflector(s), et cetera, of course.

Where the question mark in post #1 is, lol? My thought was, "Yeah, I guess it makes sense - if your porch roof is made of glass or clear plastic, and you've added walls of the same material." But I tried to ignore that thought so I could answer the question they (might have?) wanted to ask instead of the one they actually did. <SHRUGS> I interact with a lot of old people, and I've found that their communication skills are just about as hopeless as my "people" skills, so I've learned to try to go beyond what's actually said/asked.

BtW, I've been working on those people skills. I figure this might serve me if I ever end up in court again, lol.

the additional light ( unless autoflower ) will keep it in veg. I've seen people flower a plant to sex it then put it back in 18\6 to go back in veg. The hps system will be more then enough. It's the hours that tell it when to flower.

You're trying to prevent the switch to the flowering phase for a time? Yes, the addition of artificial lighting can do that. Not sure I'd spend the money running a 600-watt HPS when a few strategically-placed CFLs can accomplish the same thing, lol, but if they're in a location where they're not getting full normal sunlight for much of the day (or your weather sucks and it's overcast a lot), then you could see a higher rate of growth from doing so, I suppose. Depends on exactly what you're trying to do. Would also depend on lighting placement, choice of reflector(s), et cetera, of course.
That’s exactly what I’m tryna do is stop them from budding like I said first week of August here we see flowering. I wanna keep them in veg till mid August then let them flower the porch area I got has no roof so sun penetrates nicely. There’s beams running across porch will will allow me to hang a light/lights

Adding a light wiil kkep them in veg. How much you get out of that veg will depend on wattage. 18hours of light should be fine, but i like 24/0 for veg.
I only want a light to keep them from budding. They get a lot of sunlight outdoors, these are outdoor plants in 20 gallon containers they’re 3 weeks behind on veg time outdoors. I’m just looking to hang rope lights or a 600 watt HPS for a couple hours after sunset to keep them from budding.

Back
Top Bottom