Agrosun/Hortilux the Whole Way

skatterbrayne

Anyone got any experience using either the hortilux or the agrosun hps bulbs for both veg and flowering? I'm currently doing it with 2 Lowryder and 2 White Widow...The lowryder are a week and a half old and doing fine,

PROBLEM: the white widows are about 3 days old and seem to be stretching a bit.

I had the hps about 28 inches away, since they are seedlings and it worked well for starting the LR. And the stems arent reddish or purplish so I dont think its a red spectrum issue. I moved the light closer to 18 inch away. Any other ideas?

From my understanding of Eye Hortilux and agrosun bulbs, they are all in the red spectrum used for flower. The sonagro has some blue spectrum of light in it which can be used for the whole grow Veg and Bloom

I have herd of some people who just use there HPS bulbs for the whole grow

From what I understand Eye Hortilux and Agrosun bulbs are in the red spectrum of light for flower. The SonAgro bulbs have some blue light in them for veg, so they can be used for the whole grow.

I have herd of people just using their HPS bulbs for the whole grow

If the agrosun is 430watt it has 30% more blue spectrum to it and should be very nice for vegging.

If it's the agrosun 400watt, then it only has 10% more blue spectrum to it, and should be ok too, but not as good as 430watt.

A 400 watt at 28inches away doesnt produce very many lumens at all, floros 1 or 2 inches away would prolly produce more honestly till you can move your HID closer.

There is a light chart somewhere on this site that shows lumens v.s. distance of light. I was shocked and disapointed at how much of the actual 45,000 lumens you really get at 12inchs.

Agrosun Red Sodiums are the best choice for flowering and supplemental greenhouse lighting. Due to the effects of their enhanced red spectrum, Agrosun Red Sodium bulbs produce more flowers, larger flowers and better quality flowers. They also do it faster than conventional sodium bulbs. AgroSun Red Sodiums are recommended for situations where high supplemental light is preferred. Available in 430 and 600 watt sizes for use in HPS fixtures.

AgroSun Red 430 Watt Specifications
Initial Lumen Output: 58,000
Mean Life Hours: 24,000
Color Temperature: 2050 degrees Kelvin
CRI: 25-30
For use in all 430 watt HP Sodium fixtures.

Philips SonAgro
430 Watt Universal Position
HP Sodium Bulb
The sun's spectrum contains visible light in every color of rainbow, as well as invisible radiation, i.e. heat (infrared) the red end of the spectrum, and UV radiation (ultraviolet) at the other extreme.

Plants need most of their light from the orange-red area of the Approximate Spectral Distribution spectrum, as well as energy from the blue region of the spectrum. The blue part of the sun's spectrum, in combination with other growth factors such as temperature, humidity and nutrition, ensures each plant's natural shape and prevents unnatural elongation of the stems. Regular high pressure sodium lamps lack this blue radiation, so new standards for optimal growth conditions were called for.

Philips SA430/U SonAgro SPECIFICATIONS
Initial Lumen Output: 54,000
Mean Life Hours: 16,000
Color Temperature: 2000 degrees Kelvin
CRI: 18
For use in all 400 and 430 watt HP Sodium fixtures; optimum performance achieved when used with 430 watt remote ballast enclosures.

first of all HPS are not good for Vege. the best are Floro or Metal Halide. the purple on a stem means that the plant is cold and is protecting itself, am today into flowering and my hps is a 400watt and is about 6-8 inches away, but then i have a Oscilating fan so the heat is blown away and fresh air is replaced. AIR, WATER and LIGHT are the main factors of growing MJ.

AgroSun Red
High Pressure Sodium Bulbs

Agrosun Red Sodiums are the best choice for flowering and supplemental greenhouse lighting. Due to the effects of their enhanced red spectrum, Agrosun Red Sodium bulbs produce more flowers, larger flowers and better quality flowers. They also do it faster than conventional sodium bulbs. AgroSun Red Sodiums are recommended for situations where high supplemental light is preferred. Available in 430 and 600 watt sizes for use in HPS fixtures.

AgroSun Red 430 Watt Specifications
Initial Lumen Output: 58,000
Mean Life Hours: 24,000
Color Temperature: 2050 degrees Kelvin
CRI: 25-30
For use in all 430 watt HP Sodium fixtures.

Philips SonAgro
430 Watt Universal Position
HP Sodium Bulb
The sun's spectrum contains visible light in every color of rainbow, as well as invisible radiation, i.e. heat (infrared) the red end of the spectrum, and UV radiation (ultraviolet) at the other extreme.

Plants need most of their light from the orange-red area of the Approximate Spectral Distribution spectrum, as well as energy from the blue region of the spectrum. The blue part of the sun's spectrum, in combination with other growth factors such as temperature, humidity and nutrition, ensures each plant's natural shape and prevents unnatural elongation of the stems. Regular high pressure sodium lamps lack this blue radiation, so new standards for optimal growth conditions were called for.

Philips SA430/U SonAgro SPECIFICATIONS
Initial Lumen Output: 54,000
Mean Life Hours: 16,000
Color Temperature: 2000 degrees Kelvin
CRI: 18

weediologist said:
first of all HPS are not good for Vege. the best are Floro or Metal Halide. the purple on a stem means that the plant is cold and is protecting itself, am today into flowering and my hps is a 400watt and is about 6-8 inches away, but then i have a Oscilating fan so the heat is blown away and fresh air is replaced. AIR, WATER and LIGHT are the main factors of growing MJ.

:peace:
I hear you man, good point. its the hortilux bulb, which has more of the blue spectrum for veg growth. Also, it should be noted that I said my plants DO NOT have purple stems. You are right, that is a symptom of cold stress, but also can occur from phosphorus deficiency or if too much of the red spectrum is being introduced. Exactly why you'll have long thin red stems if you put an incandescent bulb above a MJ plant.

My thoughts were, since the stems ARE NOT purple it was not an issue with spectrum, but perhaps distance, so I moved it closer. I know it shouldn't be a P def this early on.

by harvest of my 1st grow, I had this bulb about the same distance as you're using now 6-8 inches, got the fan thing dissipating the heat as well.
I do have floros, but wanted to test this lamp start to finish since it's been reported to have good results for veg + flower to see for myself.

Lil Stinky,
those are eye opening numbers for the agrosun. Does that apply to the hortilux as well? My bulb was rated as having 25% more blue spectrum than normal hps w/ 55,000 lumens. Is it only 10% then?

Thanks Torco, I didnt realize that the hortilux and agrosun have that many differences. It seemed like everywhere I checked, people were like "if you wanna use 1 light the whole time, use a hortilux or agrosun" and left it at that.

Weediologist, Lil Stinky, Torco, very good info, thank you for the responses.
:headbanger:

Yes I guessing you prolly have a 400watt hortilux since the 430watt bulbs are somewhat of a specialty. So it would be around 10%yes, but having blue in spectum is good. The 430watt bulbs has an extra 30watts for just blue spectrum ive read, so thats why it's more.

When I called my growshop, the guy there told me hortilux was slightly better than agrosun cause hortilux is newer HID technology. Here is the lumens chart.

distance_chart.JPG

Ive read that in the best and sunniest places in the world near the equator, its about 50,000 lumens, and upwards of 100,000 lumens will kill a plant cause that like statosphere brightness and stuff.

Glad to hear that about the Hortilux. The people at my hydro shop preferred it over the agrosun as well. Reassuring second opinion. Thanks for the chart. That'll help out.:allgood:

Back
Top Bottom