Air cooling lights. effect on temps

anonymoose

420 Member
Hey all. I'm in the process of completing my grow room, and I'm having some temp issues. The veg area, a closet (5x2x8) is running at 95 degrees w the light on. The box fan drops it a few degrees, but not enough. Last night I did a test run w a jerry rigged exhaust (an old duct booster, 6"), and the change was negligible. I'm going to buy a proper fan tomorrow. I found a used vortex 6", and also a 1000w hps that will go in tje bedroom as my flowering light.

I'm wondering, how much does air cooling one's light drop the temerature? I've ordered glass and duct vents for my 430w... and the 1000w come w an air-cooled hood. Does it make a difference, temp wise, if the fan is blowing air in vs sucking it out?

Lastly, would a ~500 cfm fan be able to sufficiently cool both the 1000w and the 430w simultaneously? The bedroom is about 10x12x8, excluding the closet. The guy I'm getting the fan from has two for sale, but I don't wanna buy any more than I need I'd much rather put the extra money towards a carbon filter.

And for what its worth, there is nothing in the veg area yet, so nobody gasp in horror at the 95 degree temp comment. Only clones on the top shelf, where the temp stays between 70 and 80, even w the 400w on directly below. I can't move anything under the hps til I get my temperature under control. I know ill need to add a window unit AC at some point, but hopefully I can put it off for a couple months.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Re: air cooling lights... effect on temps

Hey all. I'm in the process of completing my grow room, and I'm having some temp issues. The veg area, a closet (5x2x8) is running at 95 degrees w the light on. The box fan drops it a few degrees, but not enough. Last night I did a test run w a jerry rigged exhaust (an old duct booster, 6"), and the change was negligible. I'm going to buy a proper fan tomorrow. I found a used vortex 6", and also a 1000w hps that will go in tje bedroom as my flowering light.

I'm wondering, how much does air cooling one's light drop the temerature? I've ordered glass and duct vents for my 430w... and the 1000w come w an air-cooled hood. Does it make a difference, temp wise, if the fan is blowing air in vs sucking it out?

Lastly, would a ~500 cfm fan be able to sufficiently cool both the 1000w and the 430w simultaneously? The bedroom is about 10x12x8, excluding the closet. The guy I'm getting the fan from has two for sale, but I don't wanna buy any more than I need I'd much rather put the extra money towards a carbon filter.

And for what its worth, there is nothing in the veg area yet, so nobody gasp in horror at the 95 degree temp comment. Only clones on the top shelf, where the temp stays between 70 and 80, even w the 400w on directly below. I can't move anything under the hps til I get my temperature under control. I know ill need to add a window unit AC at some point, but hopefully I can put it off for a couple months.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

You can knock those temps down & run the 1k & 430 on the same air circuit by doing several things...

Run the lights at night and use an outside fresh air line dedicated to the lights. If you can bring in air at around 65-70 degrees and pull it over the lights at a rate of about 1 cfm per two watts of lighting it will eliminate the heat and run the lights at a cool 75-80 degrees or ambient grow room temps. For your 1k & 430 I would go with at least a 10" inline blower. The sixer probably wont give you the cool down your looking for by leaving hot spots on the reflector & glass. But then if you got both sixers then you could have one push cool night air on the lights and then the other pull that air off the lights. That might do the job
You can also cool the room by splitting the fresh air injection to cool the lights and provide fresh air to the entire room.
The 400 can have the heat eliminated by something in a 200+cfm range if it's in an air cooled reflector. Open reflectors like bat wings are a big uphill battle to contain and eliminate heat
Hope this helps! :goodluck:

Re: Air cooling lights... effect on temps

Thanks man!!!! I've just gotta figure out how to bring in the cool air from outside...
I've got an electrician buddy whose gonna dedicate a circuit to each light, maybe he can help me out w the ventilation too. I know he likes to push the hot air through his lights, but I'm not sure what he does about bringing in cool/fresh air.
Depending on what this other guy wants for his fan(s), maybe ill just get one of those el-cheapo fan/ carbon filter combos, if I can find a 10". While my room is 10x12x8, the flowering area will only be 5x5x8. If In were to encase the area in a tent type structure (like a frame and 4 walls of panda poly) would that decrease the amount of cfm I need to be able to move? Wouldn't it help to localize the heat to mostly within the tent?

Or.... maybe I can connect my duct booster (which is around 300 cfm, i believe) to the 430 and that would suffice.... then the 6" can clear the air in the main room..... time for some Mr. Wizard experiments!!!

Also, I may not have been clear.... I will only have two hid's, the 1000 for flowering and the 430 for veg. I said 400 one time and 430 another, which may have implied I have 3 lights. Not sure if that makes any difference on my fan requirements.

Bandit is right on, as usual!

Just some tidbits of info...

Centrifugal fans are more efficient at pushing air then pulling it

Depending on the type of dwelling your in, you may be able to draw air from another source. The cooler the air source, the more heat the air will absorb as it passes thru your lites.

There are also reflector blankets that block the radiant heat coming off of the reflector from influencing room temps.

And one last item, your room ventilation should be capable of exchanging the entire volume of air in the space from 3-5 times per minute.

Back
Top Bottom