Fresh air in winter and room temp questions

Reetafour

I'm about to dive into a tent or room, it's clear that fresh air is crucial but up in New England fresh air between Nov-April is pretty cool. I'm thinking of a 6X6X7H room, with either a couple of 400W or a 1000W setup. Is the trick to use a small cfm fan or narrow duct work thereby limiting the amount of cold air coming in? I haven't heard of a preheater type to warm the air before it gets into the tent, but it seems that bringing in air that's 10-40 C isn't in the best interests of my girls. But I also read a lot about air exchange rates that is hard to reconcile with the temp problem.What have you other northerners done?

Thanks trichomes,
I should have mentioned this will be in my cellar, so ambient temps are pretty constant at mid 50's in winter. I'm not as concerned about keeping it warm as I am about injecting air that is too cold, although as I read that statement it sounds like it doesn;t make any sense. But as my wife says, Oh you know what I meant!

I think you mean 10-40F not C. But you could pull air into the room and it would heat up some before going into the tent. I live in the Mid Eastcoast and in winter I don't pull air in from outside I just keep the room the grow tent is in shut and it doesn't get much heat so it stays cold enough in the room itself to cool the grow tent and then reroute the heat into the rest of the house as best I can unless it's really cold then I just exhaust back into the room. But being that it's a cellar grow and it stays at Mid 50's in winter I wouldn't worry about about pulling air in. At about 50-60 degrees room temp with a 1kw HPS my tent only reached 86F without pulling air in and exhausting air back into the room. But when lights are off you might want to supplement some heat because with out the light on in my grow I noticed the temp swings were too large.

Maybe I'm confusing "fresh" air with "air from outside". There is probably very little "fresh" air in the cellar between Nov-April as I don't open the windows during that period. So is all I really need to do is exchange what air there is, and be mindful of temps of course and that will be good enough? And yes you're right it is Fahrenheit.

Yea thats good enough to get started growing with. Then after a few grows in that space you can find out what works for you and your situation. And what you can improve on.

Thanks High Flyin5. I will be harvesting my first bud on Monday 9/24. This is 1st grow in decades and it's some seed that was laying around so I'm anxious to see how the quality changes from early harvest to later harvest when trichomes are starting to milk up a little, right now they are clear. I know it will be better than the original since I'm taking such care. My earlier grows back in the 60's were all outside, so this is all new. The issue of "fresh" air was never a concern.

Back
Top Bottom