Amber Trichomes - Reality or a Myth

2 weeks is a fair average too, so yes, go from the date ~2weeks AFTER you flipped to 12/12. That should give you a better idea, and usually if a strain description says 7-9 weeks, expect 9 to be closer to what you expect.

What Gov said about them turning quickly is correct. I looked at my 2 plants that had only 2-4 on a sample clipping 4 days ago to what I think is about ready to harvest today. My Sativa strain Vortex did not gain that many but has had amber trichs for about 10 days. the hybrid Angry Ape (AK47XGrape Ape) went from only 1-2 to about 40-50% in the 4 days.

My 2 plants. the bathtub tiles are 4" for a reference. Angry Ape on the left. Vortex on the right.
2014-08-16_00_59_21.jpg

Trichomes after 4 days from the Vortex
Sativa16.jpg

Sativa51.jpg

Trichomes from the A.A.
Hybrid1.jpg

Hybrid.jpg

Back to the microscope issue/question. I bought an Iwobac a nice one that signals in Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, and I see it on my phone, iPad, pc, etc. it’s $22 at Amazon. The best thing I can say about this company is the fully back their products. Mine stopped working after 2 months, and I emailed them and got the best possible response—they replaced it. I took this picture with it and I can barely hold still.
BB9EA9B6-8335-45AA-BCF5-A6F4D605DFD5.jpeg

I am once again at that stage in my grow where the plants are showing all the signs that they are ready. Lots of red and brown pistils, milky colored trichomes. But according to the articles I'm reading, that big pain relieving, "couch lock" high I'm seeking will only be obtained if I wait for some of the pistils to start turning amber. These two plants have been showing milky trichomes now for about 3 weeks. I examine them closely under a 30x lens almost every morning and there is not yet been even a trace of amber color to show up in the trichomes. This was the same in my grow last year. The smoke turned out great but most of it was that light, heady high, not the deep, narcotic, arthritic pain relief I'm looking for.

So can anyone enlighten me on this. I know the standard answer is "depends on the strain and growing conditions". But what can I use as some measure of time needed to start seeing amber trichomes after the they go from clear to milky? Is it a few weeks or a months before the THC starts to change properties. And when will I know that I waited too long.
Check this out, I've been growing for about 35-40 years outdoors. Here's the trick, you harvest 1/3 of the plant at a time. You leave ample time , weeks in between each harvest. And you will actually have three different highs from the same plant. Enjoy!!! Donald's Duckfoot. My personal strand and brand if you ever run across it.

Ample light will help mature trichs. Lower secondaries will take longer than tops because of less light. Pull back on nutes a bit but feed to the end. Shortened light cycles play in to. I often harvest the top colas first then a week or so the rest of the plant as Dokota mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom