Anderson OKs Moratorium On Medical Marijuana Outlets

City Council members here Tuesday night approved a 90-day moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries, saying they needed more time to study the issue.

The council's 5-0 vote on the urgency ordinance came two days after Anderson resident Gina Munday opened The Green Heart, a medical marijuana collective and dispensary. It's the city's first such business, which Munday opened sooner than planned to beat the proposed moratorium.

"I know the Mundays have opened their business and I don't know what we can do about that," Mayor Butch Schaefer said.

City Attorney Michael Fitzpatrick said the moratorium will give the city time to research medical marijuana dispensaries, collectives and cooperatives. The implication was The Green Heart could stay open for at least the time being.

Gina and Joe Munday were present at the hearing attended by about 30 people. Of the 15 people who spoke, a few were against medical marijuana shops, but most spoke in favor of medical marijuana.

"We're not trying to be a drug house," Joe Munday said.

He said drugs already were rampant in town and noted the red tape from city officials since the idea of an Anderson collective was brought up six months ago.

Council member Melissa Hunt moved to approve the moratorium with James Yarbrough seconding the motion. Hunt said she thinks The Green Heart should operate with a business license.

Council members heard from 66-year-old Bob Venable, a medical marijuana user who suffers from kidney disease and has had quadruple heart bypass surgery.

"The reason I use medical marijuana is that I can regulate the dosage - usually one puff is enough," he said.

Venable spoke in favor of local availability of medical pot. In the past, he's made 300-mile round-trips to Arcata dispensaries and feels terrible physically by the time he makes it home.

Gina Munday opened the shop on West Center Street sooner than planned on the advice of her attorney, Eric Berg of Redding.

She said this week that she has tried since late January to obtain the proper permits. She likens her dispensary to a medical office and doesn't believe zoning issues apply.

Munday cites California state law SB 420 as well as Proposition 215 that in 1996 legalized the possession and use of small amounts of marijuana and its derivative products by people with a doctor's recommendation.

Many California cities allow such dispensaries. Redding, which has four dispensaries, doesn't have a specific ordinance regarding medical marijuana and the operation of co-ops within the city limits. However, the city requires the nonprofit groups to do business in appropriately zoned areas.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Redding Record Searchlight
Author: George L. Winship
Copyright: 2009 The E.W. Scripps Co.
Website: Anderson OKs Moratorium On Medical Marijuana Outlets

Back
Top Bottom