Another new guy here - hello, great community here! What I'm doing is...

CannabisMeds

Hello all,

Well, I really enjoy this forum. I've been admiring some of the journals and I must say that this is one of the friendliest forums I've seen.

I used to enjoy cannabis quite a bit when I was younger. I grew on occasion, twice outside and once inside, and these grows were 10+ years ago. Since then, I took quite a long break from Cannabis. Recently, however, my mom became ill and she got a med card so that she could use cannabis for pain, etc. I'm helping her out and I am planning on growing some High CBD strains for her, at first inside and next summer, outside.

Currently I've got a closet I'm working on that includes a clone called Blue Cheese along with some TGA Pennywise seeds that I'm trying to get going.

I have this older HPS 150W fixture that I used last time, but I didn't feel like it would be quite enough, so I purchased a 180Watt LED UFO 9 Band light off of Ebay. I also purchased a small heating pad for germination, because it's pretty cold right now.

Unfortunately, I haven't been successful yet in getting seedlings.
I started with two seeds on a very wet paper towel between two plates that I had on my heating pad. Within 24 hours, things looked pretty good, both seeds had appeared to open, but only one seemed to be growing a root. I waited 24 hours and then moved them both to soil. I'm concerned that there was either too much water, or too much heat from the pad. Anyway, I got anxious and put them in soil ( which was pretty cheap potting soil mixed with perlite ) and then stuck them on the heating pad, watered them well and put the humidity dome over it and stuck it in the closet. The temperature in the closet was around 80 degrees. I waited a few days and absolutely nothing happened. ( also note that I put the seeds about 3/4" down ) Yesterday I got impatient and started poking around slowly in the first container and I found the seed, and it had done nothing. It was still open and I could see a bit of white in there, but it just didn't grow at all.

The second one looked like it was or had attempted to grow a bit more, but it was still deep in there. I never pulled it out, instead just put a tiny bit of soil over it again and put it back in the light. I don't hold much hope for it. It's a shame because these puppies are $10 a piece! And now I'm a week behind at least.

So, I started germinating again yesterday. Two more seeds. This time I put them in with less water and created some extra space under the plate in order to help keep them less hot. Today I checked and one of the two has already grown a 1/4" root. The other looks like it's open, but no root growth. I'll check on them again tomorrow.
I'm going to use some better quality soil and perhaps add some vermiculite along with the perlite. I'm really hoping that I can get this round right and have some seedlings in the next 3 or 4 days. I just wish I knew what exactly went wrong the first time around. I suppose multiple things.

The grow closet is another work in progress. I was using the 150W HPS and that seemed to help bring up the temp in there a bit, but now with the LED, the temp is too low for optimal growing, so I've had to put a small heater in there. The problem with the heater though is that I can't put it on a timer and although it has a thermostat, it still runs when the light is off, so the temp at night isn't dropping. I was thinking of just hooking up the 150W HPS and run that as a sort of heater instead, although I'm sure that right now both of those lights at once is overkill. Plus, with nothing on at night, I imagine the temps in there are dipping fairly low ( if there is no heater going ).

If anyone has any input on my situation, I welcome it! I'm definitely on a budget here, esp for the short run, so I need to try and make things work with what I currently have, if possible.

As for lights, I imagine that the HPS is lower power than the LED is, so that means that the LED would be better for flowering, right? However, I'm also worried that the HPS might make the node length too long. Would it make sense to combine both of these lights at once, or should I strictly use them for separate purposes?

Thanks again to 420M for the great forum and hello to everyone. I look forward to some great grows, discussions and journals ahead!

Hi, CannabisMeds. :ciao: Welcome to :420:

It's so wonderful that you're growing for your mom. Best wishes for her. I hope she finds much relief through our favorite plant. :blushsmile:

As far as germination, I think there are as many techniques as there are growers. :laughtwo: I soak mine in room temperature distilled water for 24 hours and then put them in dirt whether roots are showing or not. It took 2-3 days for mine to pop up out of the dirt, but I don't think it's uncommon for them to take longer (if put in the dirt with no roots showing). I've seen different opinions on temperature while germing, but 80F is probably okay. I think you were probably on to something with reducing the water. I've seen videos of people doing the paper towel method and it's pretty damp, but not soaking wet.

What are your lights on/off temps?

I wish I knew more about LEDs. There are some well-documented fantastic LED grows going on here, and I'm sure the guys and gals would be more than happy to answer any questions you have if you visit their journals. Don't be shy - we are all super nice. :cheesygrinsmiley: We all want your grow to succeed! I also highly recommend starting your own grow journal and adding a link to it in your signature. Here are a couple links.

How to Make a Grow Journal
How to Add Links to Signatures
How to Grow Marijuana - Everything You Need to Know!

And here is one that caught my eye for you.
Jon705's Multi Strain HPS LED Hybrid System

I know some of the journals are intimidating because of their length, but the "Search Thread" button right above the top post of each page is a lifesaver.

Good luck with germing those seeds! I think since you got a taproot so quickly with one it means you're doing it right :thumb:

Hi Dresney, thanks for the welcome and for all the great links. I love the journals on this site and perhaps I'll even get one going once I get some seedlings.

Yes, I'm very excited to help out my mom. One of the things she's going to try is juicing it raw, as well as making some RSO.

The temps right now are a bit mixed, since I just switched from the HPS to the LED. With the LED and no heater, I saw the closet dip down to about 60 at one point with the light on. I got it up to 75 with the heater in there. I've had the heater off for most of the evening and the temp is around 70 in there now. The HPS definitely acted as a heater, as the ballast and light are together. The temp was probably a steady 72 or something with that in there. Although I'm sure it was getting colder when the light goes off.

Thanks again for the welcome and good wishes. Right back at ya!

I swear that LED search link worked last night. :scratchinghead:

Yeah, 60 is a bit nippy with lights on. Optimal temperatures are 70-90F with the higher end of that range being more efficient with supplemental CO2. I don't think a drop down to mid-60s with lights off will hurt anything. Mine get down to 64-66 every night. There is one journal I can think of with a beautiful plant that has turned purple due to low outside temps (I think I remember reading below 50F/near freezing. Hi, Ricorico :ciao:)

It is indeed tricky to find a good balance between heat, humidity and lights. I went through the same thing, as I'm vegging in my chilly basement with CFLs. I hope you get it all figured out :thumb:

Post here if you decide to start a grow journal - I'd love to follow along with your grow. :high-five:

Hi CannabisMeds and welcome to :420:
Its wonderful that you are able to help your mom out!

I have a couple thoughts about the trouble germinating.
First heating pads keep their temps about 20 degrees warmer than the room they are in. If your area was 80 degrees at the time, that means that the heating pad was around 100 and that probably cooked them a bit. Your idea about raising them up is excellent.

I'm pretty careless when it comes to starting seedlings. I only soak the seeds for about 6 hours and then pop them into root riot cubes elevated about an inch above the heating mat. Mist the cubes a couple times a day, cover them with a dome and ignore them. They sprout in about 2 days and then I remove the heating pad and switch to light as heat from below can make them stretch away from it.

As far as lights go I would definitely veg with the led. Hps is great for flower but not the greatest wavelength for vegging. When you flower I'd use both lights in order to up your yield. More light= more buds.
Have you thought about using a timer for the heater so it wouldn't run nonstop?
And again welcome to 420- lots of good information and people here- you're going to love it!

Hi Flower Child, thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, I am going to have to find a way of measuring the temperature of the plate when trying to germinate that way. I'm guessing it was just too much heat and water combined, and perhaps you're right, they got cooked a bit.

Over night, the one seed with the tap root continued to grow a bit longer and I'm going to put it into some soil today. The other one seems to be stalled and isn't really growing a tap root yet, but I'm not going to give up on it yet.

If I had some cheapo seeds, then I would do a variety of experiments just for kicks to find a method that really worked for me. But these suckers are sort of expensive and I only have one left after these two.

My previous growing experiences were all when I lived in a warmer climate. So growing in a colder climate, in a house that is colder, is more of a challenge! I'll figure out a solution though, eventually. I just hope I won't have to buy anymore of these seeds. I wish they had a germinate guarantee!

Thanks again and I'll report back soon enough. Thanks again Dresney, and I'll definitely report here if I decide to start a journal!

Have a great week.

Well, my previous soil mixture was definitely bad news. I'm now using Fox Farms along with added perlite and vermiculite. The difference is dramatic.

I dug up the remaining first round seed to inspect it and it looked like it was just barely alive. I could see some green on it and the seed shell is gone, but there isn't much of a root. I transplanted it into the new soil mixture as an experiment, although I don't expect it to survive.

I planted one new seed into a 1 gallon fabric pot with the new soil mixture. This seed has a 1/2" tap root and I placed it gently into its new home, just barely under the soil. I have a really good feeling about this one.

The final see that is germinating is going slowly. It's open, but I don't see much tap root action yet. It's still in there and I'm hoping by tomorrow something will be showing and it will be ready to plant.

I'm considering transplanting the Blue Cheese clone into the new new mixture, as the current soil mixture is just not very good. However, it's been in there a week now and I'm a bit worried about shocking it yet again. So do I leave it be, or do I take the chance of giving it much better soil? It's definitely growing in there, just a bit slowly.

Anyway, I am totally expecting a new seedling in the next couple of days! I just need to keep the temp right and make sure the moisture levels are good enough.

Back
Top Bottom