Another Victim of Justice: Tyrone Brown

Stoner4Life

Tyrone Brown, 33, is serving a life sentence for testing positive for marijuana while on probation for a $2 stickup committed when he was 17.

No one involved seems able to explain the severe penalty. Brown's victim in the holdup said he rarely thinks about the incident, but points out that he was unharmed, that Brown returned the wallet to him after removing the $2, and that police apprehended Brown and recovered the money that same evening. Neither Brown's attorney in the trial nor the court-appointed lawyer who handled his appeal even remember the case.

Keith Dean, the judge who sentenced Brown to life for the failed drug test, also said he didn't recall the case when first asked about it. Legal experts say the legal system in Texas, where the incident took place, affords judges wide latitude in sentencing and requires little accountability. Dean now claims that professional ethical standards prevent him from discussing the case because he could have to rule on related cases in the future.

That seems unlikely now. Dean, who lost his bid for reelection in the 2006 midterms after nearly 20 years on the bench, came under national scrutiny after ABC's news magazine "20/20" aired a story contrasting Brown's sentence with that of another probation violator. Alex Wood, the son of a prominent Waco pastor, repeatedly failed the drug tests required by his probation for a murder conviction, testing positive for cocaine, among other substances. Not only did Dean decline to impose any prison sentence, he eventually allowed Wood "postcard probation," which requires only that Wood send a postcard each year giving his current address.

Meanwhile, Brown remains in prison, where he has been for the past 16 years. He does not come up for parole until 2009. His story has inspired activists to take up his cause, however, and people wishing to help him can visit.... www.savemrbrown.com

Tyrone Brown needs your support now as he is closer than ever to reaching his goal.

NewsHawk: Stoner4Life - 420Magazine.com
Source: Marijuana Policy Project
Copyright: 2007 Marijuana Policy Project

Dunlap said:
Wait... WHAT. They convict the guy for stealing $2, and give him a life sentence... but then they say instead of the life sentence have probation? I'm thoroughly confused here...

reread it again..... stole $2, got probation, violated beause of mj use...THEN given life sentence

mrnatural said:
There's something missing from the story. Nobody goes up for life just for testing positive while on probation.

Edit: Jesus H Crapshit..how the hell are things like this allowed to happen? Where was this man's representation in court? For the love of all that's just and ethical, stop this insanity.

I've opened this link in Internet Explorer and Firefox, there are no popups or popover ads:
Tyrone Brown, prisoner of the drug war
There's DEFINITALEY a lot missing from the story, it seems as if they just want people to go to this website and support the convicted person. It's impossible to be given a life sentence having to do anything with using marijuana.

If thats the whole deal then that is fucked up that he got a life sentence and the other guy "pastors son" only got postcard probation!! WTF!!!

Thats messed up man poor guy! thats totally FUCKED UP!!

blazingjoe619 said:
If thats the whole deal then that is fucked up that he got a life sentence and the other guy "pastors son" only got postcard probation!! WTF!!!
A sad sad course of (in)justice.......no doubt the 'color of his skin' would be the main factor in his sentencing by that judge.

I always thought that when probation is revoked for a violation that the sentence imposed was not to be greater than the original suspended sentence. In his case the sentence for petty larceny (a $2.00 item as I recall) should've been no more than 6 months/1 year in standard sentencing guidelines. How he could've been given life is beyond comprehension.......

I really should read through the entire case file or as much as they've allowed to be online as it is an active case.

EDIT: A $2.00 stick up says it all...... 'armed robbery' was the original charge I'm sure & hence the life term which is still completely absurd and unreasonable for simply smoking mj.

blazingjoe619 said:

WTF?, I'll tell you WTF. The pastors son isn't black.

Life imprisonment for either robbing (at gunpoint) $2 or smoking pot or both is absurd.

The good news is that texas voters aren't as stupid as I thought.

Stoner4Life said:
..I always thought that when probation is revoked for a violation that the sentence imposed was not to be greater than the original suspended sentence.

My guess is that the marijuana became a seperate charge that has strong penalites if commited by a convicted felon.

this is a valuable lesson. dont try to rob anyone. although i dont uderstand the harsh punishment. also staying off probation helps. two good tips for staying out of jail.

i dont know this for a fact but they may be saying the gun and drugs are a felony...guns make drugs felonies without a certain ammoutn

Back
Top Bottom