Anti prohibtion rally in nepal

tintala

Plant of the Month: Third Place Winner
The people of Nepal held an anti-prohibition rally in the capital Kathmandu on June 26, 2009. The rally was made up of 30 cars, decorated with pro-legalization and anti-prohibition signs. Organized by a young man named Sujan, the organization responsible for the event is made up of an alliance of taxi drivers, individuals and various cultural communities in the country.

After a long history of safe and effective use the Nepalese government recently banned marijuana in the country. Starting in 1973, the government, at the urging of the United States who paid the king 40$million , began to arrest those who grew, sold, or consumed marijuana.

According to event organizer Sujan, the purpose of the rally was to “to open public debate on the current drug scenario” and “tourism will also increase. It means development of Nepal“. There were no reports of arrests or confrontations with police at the scene.

Hindu scholars and priests openly smoked marijuana in Kathmandu to protest Nepalese prohibition as recently as 2006 . In the same year, the King of Nepal aquired control of the country to a huge uprising demanding l democratic government. In 2008, elections were held for the newly formed House of Representatives, with the Communist party winning the most seats, forming a coalition government with most other parties.

I wish I could have been there for the rally, I have thought long and hard about why Nepal doesn't abolish the cannabis laws there, it would be incredible for tourism as CANNABIS and KATHMANDU are one in the same as well as trekking in the Himalaya. It was actually legal until 1973-74'.. and Kathmandu had hash shops.

Back
Top Bottom