Any flaws in my first grow?

vickg35

I'm working with a 2x4x5 tent. Trying to keep it small for my first time.
Apollo 400w mh/hps cooltube
Happy frog medium (might add things when transplant)
4" inline fan/filter 190 cfm
6 Og Kush fem seeds
Floranova Grow 7-4-10 (when veg then floranova flower)

My main questions are

1. Will a 4" inline fan do the job?
2. Is 400w good for the size of tent?

I'd appreciate any other suggestions, first time grow and I'm open to suggestions

Thanks guys!

no real answer on the light for the tent. I mean u could run a 1000 watt if you want. Is the fan pulling air through the tube out of the tent? How is it setup?

Filter>tube>fan>out
I'll try to keep ducting straight as possible.
The fan I want to purchase is a 4 " 190 cfm

Technically that is the proper size fan to cover your tent. However lights but off alot of heat so normally what i do is have them on their own closed loop ducting. My personal opnion would be to go higher on the cfm to accommodate for the heat the light puts off. What about fresh air? Are you running another fan to pull fresh air in?

It does have vent, I was originally thinking a smaller fan for intake not a inline fan

Smaller fan?

So proper ventilation is going to be fresh air drawn or pushed in the tent.
Vent and hot air being removed.
Then you want some circulation fans to push air around in the tent to mimic the wind. This helps grow strong healthy plants

It does have vent, I was originally thinking a smaller fan for intake not a inline fan

You dont "need" a intake fan if you have the nets in your tent that you can open and allow the air to come in through there. ventilation not being setup right to exchange air can cause big problems.

No need for an intake fan ever really. You can just increase the size of the exhaust fan and get the same result, except this way you save a lot of money. I put furnace filters over by passive intakes, gets rid of all the dust and other particles. 190 CFM will work for your room but you may have to run it close to full speed depending on the heat build up produced from the bulbs. Normally you want 50W of light per square foot (I think thats the right ratio), so your area is 2 X 4 or 8 square feet, so you want at least 400W, like you have. Side note, you should also have at least 150W per plant in your grow area ideally. How many plants are you trying to end up with from those seeds?

No need for an intake fan ever really. You can just increase the size of the exhaust fan and get the same result, except this way you save a lot of money. I put furnace filters over by passive intakes, gets rid of all the dust and other particles. 190 CFM will work for your room but you may have to run it close to full speed depending on the heat build up produced from the bulbs. Normally you want 50W of light per square foot (I think thats the right ratio), so your area is 2 X 4 or 8 square feet, so you want at least 400W, like you have. Side note, you should also have at least 150W per plant in your grow area ideally. How many plants are you trying to end up with from those seeds?

I agree with most of this statement, other than needing a intake fan. There are many cases where you need one such as Co2 being used. Using a tent will keep stale air in the tent if its not exchanged. Using those mesh vents for fresh air will work in some scenarios but not all. For example if your tent is in a room that receives light from windows or other lights. Problem being that light will seep through the vents during your no light cycle.

In my opinion ventilation is a huge deal in growing marijuana and poor ventilation can cause alot of problems. Why take the chance over saving what $75 for a 4in fan and some ducting.

I' hoping to have 4 I the tent. Decided to germinate 6 just in case. I was thinking of adding a few CFLs to help out a little bit.
Really appreciate all the help guys

I agree with most of this statement, other than needing a intake fan. There are many cases where you need one such as Co2 being used. Using a tent will keep stale air in the tent if its not exchanged. Using those mesh vents for fresh air will work in some scenarios but not all. For example if your tent is in a room that receives light from windows or other lights. Problem being that light will seep through the vents during your no light cycle.

In my opinion ventilation is a huge deal in growing marijuana and poor ventilation can cause alot of problems. Why take the chance over saving what $75 for a 4in fan and some ducting.
If you have the money I guess why not go for it. CO2 does make the situation a little different, never ran it myself though.

I' hoping to have 4 I the tent. Decided to germinate 6 just in case. I was thinking of adding a few CFLs to help out a little bit.
Really appreciate all the help guys ��

You can fit 3 in there but idk about 4, might be too crowded? Depends how long you want to veg them for. And extra CFL's never hurt, unles the plant is touching them ;)

Thanks for the help , appreciate it! Seen guys saying they've done six but idk how haha. I'll try to keep it at 4

Back
Top Bottom