Any ideas for a watering strategy?

Output

Let me give you just a little background.

This will be my first grow.

I have a 4.5' x 6.5' area for flowering.

My intention is to use approximately 10 plants per light of which I have two in my flowering area. And to use most probably a SCOG or SOG strategy.

It hit me today that if I had a canopy that fully occupied my grow space, I would have a difficult time watering each of the plants if I were doing it by hand. At least that's my assumption.

So maybe one of you has a good solution.

I could probably spend $100 or so if I had to.

Maybe there's an easy way I can more or less water by hand. But reaching in 4.5 feet through a thick canopy may not be easy.

What options do I have?

Thanks

Ebb & flow...Scrog or SOG

Let me give you just a little background.

This will be my first grow.

I have a 4.5' x 6.5' area for flowering.

My intention is to use approximately 10 plants per light of which I have two in my flowering area. And to use most probably a SCOG or SOG strategy.

It hit me today that if I had a canopy that fully occupied my grow space, I would have a difficult time watering each of the plants if I were doing it by hand. At least that's my assumption.

So maybe one of you has a good solution.

I could probably spend $100 or so if I had to.

Maybe there's an easy way I can more or less water by hand. But reaching in 4.5 feet through a thick canopy may not be easy.

What options do I have?

Thanks

Ok. Great. Thanks.

Ebb and flow even when using soil as the growing medium?

Any idea what to purchase? And the cost?

I do not recommend soil as a medium in ebb & flow. Are you dead set on soil? I suggested ebb & flow for its ease in a first go environment. You could do a top drip pretty easily in soil within your space and cost specified.

I suggest searching ebb & flow or flood and drain ( same thing ) about as easy as it gets other than hand watering which if you have the time , I feel is most satisfying as you spend a lot more time in the garden in which you will undoubtedly learn a great deal.

Ok. Great. Thanks.

Ebb and flow even when using soil as the growing medium?

Any idea what to purchase? And the cost?

I do have the time.

And in ebb and flow system, I would need nutes, if I understand it well. And where I'm located, the shipping costs of sending in gallons of liquid is prohibitive. And they are, in general, not available here (Central America).

But I can, on the other hand, create organic soil pretty easily. All of the necessary ingredients are here.

That's why I was thinking soil.

Thoughts?

Also, I looked on eBay for Top Drip and don't find anything. Is it maybe called something else?

Would love to use a 420magazine sponsor if it all possible.

Do yourself a gratifying favor so to speak. Organic fed hand watered grow. This to me if done correctly is the premier method.

Search drip ring or drip emitters or drip irrigation if you want to research that method.

Best of luck, Panama Red Bud..... Just thinking out loud.

I do have the time.

And in ebb and flow system, I would need nutes, if I understand it well. And where I'm located, the shipping costs of sending in gallons of liquid is prohibitive. And they are, in general, not available here (Central America).

But I can, on the other hand, create organic soil pretty easily. All of the necessary ingredients are here.

That's why I was thinking soil.

Thoughts?

Go to Home Depot and get yourself a grey Brute trash can 32 - 44 gallon in size. Fill this with water and nutrients. Place one of these: Mondi Utility Sump Pump 1585GPH

Into the trash can, get a garden hose and watering wand. Then you're good to go, just hand water with the wand and you'll be fine. Below your SCROG you shouldn't have anything but bare stems, so there is no canopy in the way because you're working below it.

Do yourself a gratifying favor so to speak. Organic fed hand watered grow. This to me if done correctly is the premier method.

Search drip ring or drip emitters or drip irrigation if you want to research that method.

Best of luck, Panama Red Bud..... Just thinking out loud.

Great suggestion. I'm going to do just that. I think hand watering will be the way to go.

I haven't heard of Panama Red Bud. Is it a sativa? If so, I would love to get my hands on a few seeds. :)

Go to Home Depot and get yourself a grey Brute trash can 32 - 44 gallon in size. Fill this with water and nutrients. Place one of these: Mondi Utility Sump Pump 1585GPH

Into the trash can, get a garden hose and watering wand. Then you're good to go, just hand water with the wand and you'll be fine. Below your SCROG you shouldn't have anything but bare stems, so there is no canopy in the way because you're working below it.

Sounds like it would sure make watering easy. Great idea. Thank you for telling me.

In looking at sump pumps, they basically don't shut off unless you unplug them. If I used a watering wand, and it kept the water off until I pulled the trigger to start watering, would it destroy the sump pump? In general, I would want to get the watering done so it isn't like I would just wait with the pump running and not watering the plants. But maybe I would take a moment to feel the soil and determine if I have enough water. In that moment it would be nice if the water would stop running so it doesn't get all over the place. But wouldn't want that to burn out the pump.

Any thoughts?

There is enough water when some comes out the bottom.

Sounds like it would sure make watering easy. Great idea. Thank you for telling me.

In looking at sump pumps, they basically don't shut off unless you unplug them. If I used a watering wand, and it kept the water off until I pulled the trigger to start watering, would it destroy the sump pump? In general, I would want to get the watering done so it isn't like I would just wait with the pump running and not watering the plants. But maybe I would take a moment to feel the soil and determine if I have enough water. In that moment it would be nice if the water would stop running so it doesn't get all over the place. But wouldn't want that to burn out the pump.

Any thoughts?

There is enough water when some comes out the bottom.

Right, I just want to make sure I don't have water spewing all over my room while I'm trying to neatly water plant after plant.

The watering wand that I have found here would enable me to start and stop the water at will from the wand. I just wanted to make sure that stopping the water momentarily between plants would not burn up the sump pump.

You would need to read the spec sheet on the pump, sorry. Good luck

Right, I just want to make sure I don't have water spewing all over my room while I'm trying to neatly water plant after plant.

The watering wand that I have found here would enable me to start and stop the water at will from the wand. I just wanted to make sure that stopping the water momentarily between plants would not burn up the sump pump.

Hi Output,

Just wanted to drop by and offer another possible solution for your consideration. Same idea using some type of reservoir for nutes/water but instead of a pump elevate the container just a little higher than the top of your containers, put a hose connecter in the lower portion of the reservoir and let gravity do the "pumping" for you. Slower rater of water but in soil that can be a good thing.

I know when I've let a plant properly dry out between watering's the first bit of water I provide runs straight through the soil and out the bottom. If I give the plant a little water slowly and come back in 10 minutes I can water much more thoroughly with out so much runoff as the soil has a chance to absorb some of the water and swell a little.

Hope that helps or sparks another solution to your concern/question.

Be well and happy growing.

Hi Output,

Just wanted to drop by and offer another possible solution for your consideration. Same idea using some type of reservoir for nutes/water but instead of a pump elevate the container just a little higher than the top of your containers, put a hose connecter in the lower portion of the reservoir and let gravity do the "pumping" for you. Slower rater of water but in soil that can be a good thing.

I know when I've let a plant properly dry out between watering's the first bit of water I provide runs straight through the soil and out the bottom. If I give the plant a little water slowly and come back in 10 minutes I can water much more thoroughly with out so much runoff as the soil has a chance to absorb some of the water and swell a little.

Hope that helps or sparks another solution to your concern/question.

Be well and happy growing.

It sure does. Thank you for your help.

I have learned more in the last couple of days posting here and all of the research I had done previously, I think. :)

Back
Top Bottom