My Grow:
DWC
seeds from lowlife; 2 mix packs (autos)
5 fem Nightshade seeds from Barneys
Standard 3 part GH nutes
My available grow space is 4.5 X 4.5
I have two 150wt HPS "area" lights
I have 3 23wt CPF lights (blue spec)
I am using 4 gallon clear plastic totes (covered to block light)
I use one 6wt air pump and two 1 inch airstones per tote
My temps range from 74f to 86f, water temps 65-70
The closet has a vent blowing in from my central air unit
I have two 8inch fans, more available
I use tap water, starts with a PH of 6.8ish, 300ish PPM

4 weeks into auto flower, my plants look great and my roots are mostly white and crisp. My tubs are virtually lightproof, I was very careful to plug any light leaks. After a few days the water get this stingy white substance in it. It does not appear to be algae. It does not have a smell. The plants do not seem to be bothered by it. When I pull the containers out and let the roots hang out of the water, some of them appear to be covered in snot. There is no color to this snot, just clearish or milky white. The tubs have quite a bit of air pumped through them, and I also use h2o2.

Considering the size of this forum, I am sure this question has been asked before, however none of the many search terms I tried and hours of reading have led me to the answer.

Any ideas?

My Grow:
DWC
seeds from lowlife; 2 mix packs (autos)
5 fem Nightshade seeds from Barneys
Standard 3 part GH nutes
My available grow space is 4.5 X 4.5
I have two 150wt HPS “area” lights
I have 3 23wt CPF lights (blue spec)
I am using 4 gallon clear plastic totes (covered to block light)
I use one 6wt air pump and two 1 inch airstones per tote
My temps range from 74f to 86f, water temps 65-70
The closet has a vent blowing in from my central air unit
I have two 8inch fans, more available
I use tap water, starts with a PH of 6.8ish, 300ish PPM

4 weeks into auto flower, my plants look great and my roots are mostly white and crisp. My tubs are virtually lightproof, I was very careful to plug any light leaks. After a few days the water get this stingy white substance in it. It does not appear to be algae. It does not have a smell. The plants do not seem to be bothered by it. When I pull the containers out and let the roots hang out of the water, some of them appear to be covered in snot. There is no color to this snot, just clearish or milky white. The tubs have quite a bit of air pumped through them, and I also use h2o2.

Considering the size of this forum, I am sure this question has been asked before, however none of the many search terms I tried and hours of reading have led me to the answer.

Any ideas?

If it's just like thin slime on the airhoses and stuff theres no need to worry. If the plant growth is normal then things are normal IMO. If they're sick it will start to effect the leaves. I use beneficial bacteria (bio bugs) instead of H2o2. They seem to snack on any nasties that rear their heads Maybe they can tell your a grumpygrower:rofl::peace:.

sounds almost like a Mycelium (fungus) growth. Are you using and products with Mycorhizia in it??? If so BINGO. Mycorhizia is known to do that. Now, If your not usinng any products containing beneficial fungus you might want to consider using a light H2O2 mix to kill it. If your not sure do your research before killing any potential beneficials.

I would get similar growth in my Blue oyster mushroom liquid cultures when they just got started.

sounds almost like a Mycelium (fungus) growth. Are you using and products with Mycorhizia in it??? If so BINGO. Mycorhizia is known to do that. Now, If your not usinng any products containing beneficial fungus you might want to consider using a light H2O2 mix to kill it. If your not sure do your research before killing any potential beneficials.

I would get similar growth in my Blue oyster mushroom liquid cultures when they just got started.

He says he already uses H2o2. Stop trying to freak him out with all ya big words:rofl::peace:

:welldone:sheesh, Im pretty sure that those words aren't too big for him. Give the guy some credit would ya? Besides, it is possible to be using H2O2 in such a light dose to help add O2 to the res without killing any biologicals -oops, i'm sorry -'fungus'. In fact at some ratios the H2O2 mixed into enough water might actually accelurate the fungus growth rates.

Just trying to help:yummy::grinjoint::roorrip:

:welldone:sheesh, Im pretty sure that those words aren't too big for him. Give the guy some credit would ya? Besides, it is possible to be using H2O2 in such a light dose to help add O2 to the res without killing any biologicals -oops, i'm sorry -'fungus'. In fact at some ratios the H2O2 mixed into enough water might actually accelurate the fungus growth rates.

Just trying to help:yummy::grinjoint::roorrip:

Settle petal! I was just being silly mate. Sheesh:rofl::yahoo::peace:

no problem, I was just loosing my mind with one kid pulling my hair and another gnawing on my leg while I was posting. lol ...that tends to make one... ...TenSe.
:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::thedoubletake::thedoubletake::thedoubletake::hmmmm::whoa::whoa:

Thanks for the ideas. Fungus is something ive considered, as I had that before a few years ago. Back then, I was just using a clear plastic bucket and of course i got some bad algae growth. I changed to a lightproof bucket and treated with h2o2, and the algae went away, but I kept getting the stringy white substance in the water. No matter how often I cleaned or changed tubs, it always came back. A friend looked at it and said it was water born fungus. This looks very much the same, difference is that back then, the plant was obviously being killed by the substance. I had to eventually scrap the whole setup.

I currently use only the standard 3 part GH nutes, Gh PH down, and h2o2. As far as I know, all chemical, nothing with Mycorhizia.

Anyway here is a pic of my plants. They don't seem to be suffering.
100_11644.jpg

Here is a pic of the roots, with the slimy snot on the bottom left root.
100_11694.jpg

have you been blowing your nose on your roots??

what about your cuttings? what do you use on those?

:) I did not blow my nose on those roots, I have a special plant set aside whose roots I use for that.

I have not taken any cuttings yet. The ones pictured are autoflowers, and I am still waiting for my baby nightshades to grow into mothers.

I plan to use a bubbler cloner, with neutral PH water. I will probably use some olivias to dip the cuttings in before I place them into the water.

so you grew those beuties in the picture from seed?

I guess what I'm asking is if you have ever used anything other than what your using now. If not it's probably something from the water supply or the environment. either way they look good so no worries for now! ;)

anyways, I hope I get to see pictures of them along the way. they look like nice ladies. Interesting to see!!

so you grew those beuties in the picture from seed?

I guess what I'm asking is if you have ever used anything other than what your using now. If not it's probably something from the water supply or the environment. either way they look good so no worries for now! ;)

anyways, I hope I get to see pictures of them along the way. they look like nice ladies. Interesting to see!!

Yea those plants were started from seed a few weeks ago. Because of a ph problem they did not get very big before entering flowering stage.

Everything was clean when I started. The plants have never grown in anything other than the tubs they are in. The first couple of weeks I used vinegar instead of GH PH Down.

I am keeping a journal if you are interested,
DWC, Autoflowers/Nightshade

After some consideration and monitoring of the roots, I suspect that this is plain old root rot. The slime is increasing, brown and dark green spots have appeared and are spreading, and there is now a slight "mossy" earth type odor, like you smell walking through a greenhouse or tree nursery.

I have cooled the tanks with ice packs, cut out the effected roots, and increased h2o2 levels.

that should help. you could also go the biological route and use a product with beneficial bacteria like Bacillus Subtilis.

B. subtilis is used as a soil inoculant in horticulture and agriculture. B. globigii, a closely related but phylogenetically distinct species [7][8]was used as a biowarfare simulant during Project SHAD (aka Project 112).[3].

Enzymes produced by B. subtilis and B. licheniformis are widely used as additives in laundry detergents.

Its other uses include the following:

a model organism for laboratory studies
a strain of B. subtilis formerly known as Bacillus natto is used in the commercial production of the Japanese food natto as well as the similar Korean food cheonggukjang
B. subtilis strain QST 713 (marketed as QST 713 or Serenade) has a natural fungicidal activity, and is employed as a biological control agent

Products would include GH Subculture. Mycorrhizal Is also good to use as it will promote healthier plants and 'choke out' nasties if you use it early in the plants life.

Just a thought! a brainfart if you will.:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom