Any Indica Strains To Grow Outdoors, Tropical Climate

MrAnxiiouz

Yoo, whats up everyone. I just recently started cultivating my own cannabis, so I'm a complete noob.
I have a couple questions about what indica strains to grow in the tropics. I know that sativa strains thrive in my areas climate, but I wonder if any indica strains can too.

I am from Guam, a tropical climate that is located close to the equator. Here are some of the conditions about this beautiful island:
1. Sunlight hours: 12-12
2. Relative Humidity: 65-80% during daylight, 85-100% at night.
3. Temperature: 30-32°C (86-90°F) during the day, 25-26°C (77-79°F) at night
4. Windy, not too crazy tho. Nice breeze.

Here are the questions that I need some answers for:
1. Is it possible to grow sativa OR indica strains outdoors with a 12-12 photoperiod cycle from germination to flowering (all life cycle)? Or do I need an additional light source for the vegetative stage no matter what?
2. Are there any indica or indica-dominant strains that I can grow outdoors in this climate?
3. What are the best sativa strains to grow outdoors in this climate?

If you're reading this and from Guam, let's talk because I'm new to this shit and need all the help to grow in this climate outdoors.
Happy smoking ladies and gents, peace!

Welcome to the growing community! I would think an indica would grow fine out there biggest concern might be bud rot or mold though due to dense nugs and high humidity. That's just a thought though. You could do things to prevent it though like removing leaves of needed and training the plants with LST to keep the buds separated

Welcome to the growing community! I would think an indica would grow fine out there biggest concern might be bud rot or mold though due to dense nugs and high humidity. That's just a thought though. You could do things to prevent it though like removing leaves of needed and training the plants with LST to keep the buds separated

Thanks for the greeting! I’ve been researching certain strains that have high mold and heat resistance. Do certain strains that have those genetics actually live “fight off” those variables? I’m definitely gonna LST.

Do you think supplemental lighting for vegetation cycle would work fine (outdoor for 12hrs then indoor for 5-6 more hrs)? Or should I just let them grow indoor for the whole veg cycle?

Depends on the pros and cons specific to you. If carrying them outside and in is feasible you get free light and the plants will be fairly used to the outdoor climate when you start to flower them. On the other hand if you are busy or moving plants is a hassle you can pay for the electricity and run the light as long as you want. I have peppers that I am moving around for light and it works when I have time.

Depends on the pros and cons specific to you. If carrying them outside and in is feasible you get free light and the plants will be fairly used to the outdoor climate when you start to flower them. On the other hand if you are busy or moving plants is a hassle you can pay for the electricity and run the light as long as you want. I have peppers that I am moving around for light and it works when I have time.

Gotcha, gotcha. Makes sense lol. Thanks again.

Yeah like Modest Grower said indicas don't take well to humid climates. They come from arid regions where RH is close to 0% during the day. I've been growing outdoor in very humid climate for many years and usually found the best success with hybrids that have certain sativa influence to avoid bud rot. But if you wanna grow something that has typical indica bud structure then I'd advise to spray bacteria that prevent mold. I've had pretty good success with this method.

Yeah like Modest Grower said indicas don't take well to humid climates. They come from arid regions where RH is close to 0% during the day. I've been growing outdoor in very humid climate for many years and usually found the best success with hybrids that have certain sativa influence to avoid bud rot. But if you wanna grow something that has typical indica bud structure then I'd advise to spray bacteria that prevent mold. I've had pretty good success with this method.

ohh okay. Yeah, been reading about how Sativas are the ones that thrive in my particular climate. Any indica-dominant hybrid strains you recommend that are heat/mold resistant? If imma be honest, I don’t wanna go through the route of spraying antiviral agents on my plant. Nothing against it, just not my cup of tea... actually I’ll look more into it and the safety, proper use, etc.

Botrytis is caused by pathogenic fungus, which thrives in high and moderate temps and high RH, not by a virus. Bacteria that I spray are food grade, you can find them in many products that you eat, so if that's not safe IDK what is?

In terms of "indicas" that tolerate tropical rains and daily RH over 60-70% there are very few. So far I haven't found a perfect one available commercially. I really stick to my own stock if I wanna be 100% mold free.

Botrytis is caused by pathogenic fungus, which thrives in high and moderate temps and high RH, not by a virus. Bacteria that I spray are food grade, you can find them in many products that you eat, so if that's not safe IDK what is?

In terms of "indicas" that tolerate tropical rains and daily RH over 60-70% there are very few. So far I haven't found a perfect one available commercially. I really stick to my own stock if I wanna be 100% mold free.

yeah yeah. I was just thinking extreme. What antibacterial products do you use and when do you use it?

I make my sprays yourself, but there are some products on the market. Most likely you're gonna have to get them sipped from abroad though.

I make my sprays yourself, but there are some products on the market. Most likely you're gonna have to get them sipped from abroad though.

lmao, I’m getting everything shipped. Only thing I’ve gotten locally from Home Depot and other stores is soil and fox farm products. Can’t much of anything where I’m from and if you do find it, it’s marked up at least 50%

Except for the hours of daylight (we're at 14 and a half hours right now, getting longer) that sounds like summer around here. For my first outdoors grow I grew a Hindu Kush variety and I didn't get any mold, though maybe I was just lucky. I did some preventative spraying with potassium bicarbonate, it's used in winemaking to adjust the ph of the wine.
We usually have a week or two here and there through the summer where the humidity doesn't drop under 90 or 95%, day or night, and an older grower in the region told me he used potassium bicarbonate. It works the same way baking soda sprays do, by changing the ph on the surface of the leaf, only it's more effective.
Got a couple of indica, and indica dominant strains this year, guess I'll see if it was just luck.

Yoo, whats up everyone. I just recently started cultivating my own cannabis, so I'm a complete noob.
I have a couple questions about what indica strains to grow in the tropics. I know that sativa strains thrive in my areas climate, but I wonder if any indica strains can too.

I am from Guam, a tropical climate that is located close to the equator. Here are some of the conditions about this beautiful island:
1. Sunlight hours: 12-12
2. Relative Humidity: 65-80% during daylight, 85-100% at night.
3. Temperature: 30-32°C (86-90°F) during the day, 25-26°C (77-79°F) at night
4. Windy, not too crazy tho. Nice breeze.

Here are the questions that I need some answers for:
1. Is it possible to grow sativa OR indica strains outdoors with a 12-12 photoperiod cycle from germination to flowering (all life cycle)? Or do I need an additional light source for the vegetative stage no matter what?
2. Are there any indica or indica-dominant strains that I can grow outdoors in this climate?
3. What are the best sativa strains to grow outdoors in this climate?

If you're reading this and from Guam, let's talk because I'm new to this shit and need all the help to grow in this climate outdoors.
Happy smoking ladies and gents, peace!
You want landrace genetics. Like Durban Poision or ANYTHING Ace Seeds sells top of line Sativas for your exact climate

You want landrace genetics. Like Durban Poision or ANYTHING Ace Seeds sells top of line Sativas for your exact climate
They want Indicas though which are not naturally occurring in their area, thus their post and inquiry. They like the indies
:passitleft:

Edit: I apologize, forgot the bottom few questions. Great answer!!!!

Back
Top Bottom