NorCal Outdoor Growers

Overthinking it in my opinion.

Trichome identification is for google heads and amateurs. Learn to identify a ripe bud and you can see it from 10’ away. The calyxes look like popped popcorn and ALL the pistils die back and turn color. Soil— I get a half a yard of the garden mix at my local materials yard, dig a pit about 7-8 gals and fill with garden mix(fox farm ocean Forest works great too) No nutes for a month..then while in veg they get Jacks 20 20 20 once a week. When in flower jacks 10 30 20 twice a week..5ml calmag/gal every feeding. Use grow bags if you don’t want to dig pits but I like to be in the ground. The heat of the day is too much for the grow bags—you can bury the about ⅔ in the gr
This is interesting though:

I lose respect for rosenthal when he pushes all that snake oil. Total garbage and NO plants need any of that shit.
I'm still having a difficult time this morning. I will post some pics. Last year I thought my Afghan buds were ready, but after curing and finally to smoking, the potency was weak.

Here are a few pics from two different plants. The first Kush bud looks close to harvest from what I see. The second and third pic of Grandaddy Purple looks like at least a week or two.

IMG_20220910_171609376.jpg

IMG_20220910_171502496.jpg

IMG_20220910_171235772.jpg

Here are a few pics from two different plants. The first Kush bud looks close to harvest from what I see. The second and third pic of Grandaddy Purple looks like at least a week or two.

IMG_20220910_171609376.jpg

IMG_20220910_171502496.jpg

IMG_20220910_171235772.jpg
Close to harvest??
A week or two for the GDP??
Seriously buddy you need to study post 20. Get the look of a finished bud burned in your brain.
Those buds look hungry as hell too.

Close to harvest??
A week or two for the GDP??
Seriously buddy you need to study post 20. Get the look of a finished bud burned in your brain.
Those buds look hungry as hell too.
Okay. Thanks for the observation. My problem with nutrients (Dyna-Gro Bloom) is that even with .5 tsp per gal every other watering, I see more yellowing and burnt ends on leaves the day after.

The first Kush bud looks close to harvest from what I see. The second and third pic of Grandaddy Purple looks like at least a week or two.
I've got to agree with @zigzagman1960 - your buds have quite a bit longer to go. My outdoor GDP last year went almost to Halloween before harvest. For plants grown under the sun, you can pretty much ignore any breeder estimates for flowering time - those estimates are for indoor/artificial lights. Also, outdoor plants will "amber" prematurely due to the sun, so I don't pay much attention to that as well. I mostly look at the bud's overall structure and stigma condition. Typically, if you still see fresh stigmas (many peeps call these pistils), it's probably not ready. When the plant is close to mature, its water requirement slows down considerably and its aroma changes as well.

I'm finding out that here in the Bay Area, it's difficult to grow full sativas under the sun. They just take too long to ripen and once you hit late October, the weather cools and the sunlight hours diminish to the point it never quite ripens. Kinda like a green tomato during that time of the season.

I grew a Killer Haze (80% sativa) a couple seasons ago. Had probably 30% amber or more, didn't finish harvest until November. I sent it to a lab to be tested. Lab results here. The THC was very low and there was no presence of CBN (THC degrades into CBN once over-rip condition begins). That told me that it was harvested too early.

I also grew a Purple Haze (70% sativa) last season. I let it go until 11/9. Again, the lab tests suggest it still wasn't quite ready for harvest. The lab results are here.
My problem with nutrients (Dyna-Gro Bloom) is that even with .5 tsp per gal every other watering, I see more yellowing and burnt ends on leaves the day after.
The amount of nutrients you are using really shouldn't cause any burn. I use a full line of liquid nutrients throughout the life of the plant. I mix at full strength and feed every watering. Never see nutrient burn. Actually this time of year, yellowing of older and lower leaves are pretty normal. If the yellowing appears in early flowering or in veg, it could be due to many many different things (such as over watering), but it's probably due to nitrogen deficiency at which time I actually give the plant more of the nitrogen nutes.

Lol. Well, they went until the end of the first week of October. Thanks for input everyone. You too, ZigZag. Overall happy with the harvest. Lost a bit due to moth caterpillars and have a prevention plan using beneficial nematodes, BT, and predator insects like Lacewings next year. I've amended and layered soil after testing and will Winterize raised beds for next year. Another Spring through Autumn has come and gone. I hope you are all content with your harvests. May next year's be even better.
🙂

Back
Top Bottom