Any thoughts?

cipher420

420 Member
So i have a DWC setup with just one plant as i am new to hydro. everything started out wonderful up until i did a res change. the only difference was i used tap water (de-chlorinated) then switched over to distilled. started to get slow growth and cupped and curlling leafs so switched back to tap but havent been able to recover.
symptoms are:
-slow/stunned growth
-tips curlling up and down
-dropping of some leaves
-tips of newer growth have a small amount of yellow
i keep the ph around 5.8-6.3 and never go full strength on my nutrients.
not sure of ppm or ec as i dont have the testers yet.
using 1 50 watt 6400k sunblaster CFL with one 26 watt 6400 sunblaster CFL with total lumen output of about 7500 lumens .
medium sized airstone and water pump with top dripper.
have a 100 liter tube filled with water with a 5 gallon bucket submerged in it to help control temp inside bucket.
cardboard is more or less just a temporary cover to make sure i get no light penetration.
got a spliter on my pump. 2 small spegetti hose up top with one inside directly pointed at pot . room temp is about 24 and res temp about 20
no added reducers but i am adding to next rez change.
cant figure out whats going on !
https://www.420magazine.com/community/attachments/20180804_132836-1-jpg.1584172/
https://www.420magazine.com/community/attachments/20180804_132840-1-jpg.1584171/
here are some photos

Random observations:

I know your plant is small, but it looks like root growth is insufficient.
Are you sure you are giving your root zone enough dissolved oxygen? If there's any doubt at all, add more.
I think it would be beneficial to limit the upper range of your pH more.
From the picture (which, admittedly, doesn't give a complete... picture ;) ), it looks like whatever you are using for a reflector is too small, allowing much of your lights' output to be wasted on the walls and probably ceiling instead of directing as much as possible toward your plant.
In terms of EC and PPM, you don't need to buy meters, only a meter. They both measure the exact same thing, in the exact same way. A "PPM" meter just makes a simple calculation (which an eight-year old could do without a calculator :rolleyes: ) . You'd probably be better off with an EC meter, because as mentioned the calculation to get "PPM" is easy - and because all that isn't really accurate, anyway, lol. These things simply measure the electrical conductivity of the sample, and the "PPM" meter makes the aforementioned calculation by way of a "conversion factor." Which would be just peachy if you were measuring, say, a gallon of distilled water with an unknown amount of only one salt in it. You find the conversion factor for that specific salt and Bob's your uncle, as they say. But we do not give our plants ONE nutrient salt, lol, we give them a... a nutrient-salt soup. So imagine that you've just added your nutrient mix to your reservoir and, therefore, have 13+ different salts in solution, all of which effect that solution's electrical conductivity... differently. In other words, you can have the same physical amounts of total dissolved solids in solution and still get a range of readings on your meter if the ratios of your TDS content are different from one sample to the next. (Not all dissolved solids affect EC, BtW.)

What nutrient brand/products are you using? In what amounts? When was the last time you calibrated your pH meter (recently, I hope)? Are you either moving away from or shutting off any sources of electronic noise/interference (such as lights) to ensure that nothing is causing your pH meter to have skewed readings?

Random observations:

I know your plant is small, but it looks like root growth is insufficient.
Are you sure you are giving your root zone enough dissolved oxygen? If there's any doubt at all, add more.
I think it would be beneficial to limit the upper range of your pH more.
From the picture (which, admittedly, doesn't give a complete... picture;) ), it looks like whatever you are using for a reflector is too small, allowing much of your lights' output to be wasted on the walls and probably ceiling instead of directing as much as possible toward your plant.
In terms of EC and PPM, you don't need to buy meters, only a meter. They both measure the exact same thing, in the exact same way. A "PPM" meter just makes a simple calculation (which an eight-year old could do without a calculator :rolleyes: ) . You'd probably be better off with an EC meter, because as mentioned the calculation to get "PPM" is easy - and because all that isn't really accurate, anyway, lol. These things simply measure the electrical conductivity of the sample, and the "PPM" meter makes the aforementioned calculation by way of a "conversion factor." Which would be just peachy if you were measuring, say, a gallon of distilled water with an unknown amount of only one salt in it. You find the conversion factor for that specific salt and Bob's your uncle, as they say. But we do not give our plants ONE nutrient salt, lol, we give them a... a nutrient-salt soup. So imagine that you've just added your nutrient mix to your reservoir and, therefore, have 13+ different salts in solution, all of which effect that solution's electrical conductivity... differently. In other words, you can have the same physical amounts of total dissolved solids in solution and still get a range of readings on your meter if the ratios of your TDS content are different from one sample to the next. (Not all dissolved solids affect EC, BtW.)

What nutrient brand/products are you using? In what amounts? When was the last time you calibrated your pH meter (recently, I hope)? Are you either moving away from or shutting off any sources of electronic noise/interference (such as lights) to ensure that nothing is causing your pH meter to have skewed readings?
One other thing. I didnt see any mention of water temps. If its as hot wherever he is as it is where I am the water could be too warm

Definitely possible, but additional DO would tend to help with that (won't lower the temperature of the reservoir, obviously, but it'll better allow the plant to deal with it - especially if there is adequate airflow through the canopy and adequate ventilation into and out of the grow space) .

Back
Top Bottom