Any use for spent brewers grains other than compost?

It's more than a nitrogen source.

Try scratching in some in your soil. Start out with a few tbs and see what happens.

You can do this weekly thru out the life of your plant.

VERY good for composting for sure.

The very things the brewmasters want from the malted barley we also want for the soil microbes. Its a catalyst, its like putting the soil microbes on steroids.

I use malted barley and grind it down to a fine powder in a coffee grinder and add a cup per sq ft (7.5gal) of soil in my mix and always add several tbs @ up-pot.

It's GREAT stuff. Will help with shortening your flowering times as well. Some have found about a 10-15% less time to harvest as well as increased resin on the flowers.

Edit:
Barley Enzymes - amylase, arylsulphatase, β-glucosidase, cellulase, chitinase, dehydrogenase, phosphatase, protease and urease.

Brewers grain wet or dried from actual brewery or ethenol plants is often used in cattle feed fed directly or as a top dressing. Any wet brewers grain ive seen piled up or fed while working on various farms was very ripe smelling not sure id want it in my grow tent. But there must be a way to compost it to a more plant and user friendly form definitely a dense source of energy with much potential.
:morenutes:

Good stuff - it composts pretty quickly - reason for using it in the soil mix.

It gets soil microbes going full steam ahead.

The soil microbes create soluble nutrients that get taken up with water thru the plants roots.

It's a beautiful thing.

I top dress with fan leaves, but try not to overdo it. You can check your microbial activity this way though. As far as seed soaks you can actually get a very nice mix of minerals from these, the same with sprouts. The malted barley could be a nice source of lactobacilli and such, which are really good addition to your soil, so soak it up and use the water for watering.

Back
Top Bottom