Anyone into strains & phenotypes? I have a couple strain-related questions going into my second grow

Hi Guys and Girls -

So I am prepping for my second grow. First one went well considering the vast number of rookie mistakes I made. Below are pics of my plants when they were growing and the finished bud. I grew the Surfr Seeds version of Pineapple Upside Down Cake, which technically speaking is Golden Pineapple x Wedding Cake F2, aka Trophy Wife. You can see how it grew. This time two of my plants are going to be the REAL Pineapple Upside Down Cake - which was "invented" by Humboldt Seed Company, not Surfr (should be a rule about duplicating strain names). Technically this is Pineapple Trainwreck x Cookie Monster. Both are sativa leaning hybrids. Both have a similar structure, but the Humboldt genetics should be much more stable than the Surfr were. I had three different phenotypes and one plant went hermie on me and had to be pulled.

The Humboldt Pineapple Upside Down Cake has a very short flowering time. According to them it's 45-53 days. They insisted that is accurate when I spoke to them, but considering every experienced grower I know says to add at least a week to their posted flowering times with any seedbank seeds, and the fact that many grow videos online seem to indicate a 9-10 week harvest, I'm assuming 70 days. Ish. I harvested the Surfr version on exactly Day 70 of flower and pretty much nailed that part. I understand these two may share the same name but are entirely different strains and so comparisons may not be particularly valid.

I am growing in a 5x5 in 5 gallon Smart Pots with Fox Farms soil (50/50 mix of Ocean Forest and Happy Frog with added perlite) and Fox Farms nutrient trio and CalMag, finishing flowering with blackstrap molasses all the way through the flush, under a G8 C3 Enhanced Full Spectrum LED with flower booster, which according to the numbers compares favorably to the Gavita 1700e (it better considering I took a chance with this G8 and all told it cost almost as much as the Gavita).

So what I'm looking for are the following things, if anyone might have some specific information/suggestions:

1. Has anyone personally grown the Humboldt Pineapple Upside Down Cake indoors and if so can you please discuss your experience? I would be curious about flowering time, how she takes to SCROG, how nutrient thirsty she is, how stinky of a grow she is, what her potential yield might be, what possible phenotypical expressions to expect, how she responds to pruning, etc.

2. Does anyone have any suggestions for sativas or sativa leaning hybrids that might grow well alongside the Pineapple Upside Down Cake? I'd be looking for something that has a similar flowering time, takes well to SCROG, and likes a similar environment, which I would describe based on Humboldt's information as average climate conditions. Most important considerations are the sativa part and the same flowering time part, because due to my living circumstances drying my buds inside my tent is my only option (odor/roommate concerns). This means I have to harvest all the plants at the same time.

3. I suppose I could grow an indica alongside if she had a similar flowering time and such, but I would be concerned that the sativa would be so much taller than the indica that it would make the SCROG unnecessarily challenging. That said, does anyone know of any particularly tall indicas that might work alongside a sativa that'll be done after 70 days of flower?

4. Does anyone have experience growing Jack Herer or Super Silver Haze, and would either of those two work well alongside the Pineapple Upside Down Cake? Or are their flowering times simply a lot longer than 70 days?

I'm relatively new to this forum and it seems there are many experienced growers here. I greatly appreciate any feedback, suggestions, etc. that anyone may have and similarly appreciate anyone actually taking the time to read my post! Thanks in advance for any potential help.

IMG_1569.jpg

DONE.jpg

Hi Guys and Girls -

So I am prepping for my second grow. First one went well considering the vast number of rookie mistakes I made. Below are pics of my plants when they were growing and the finished bud. I grew the Surfr Seeds version of Pineapple Upside Down Cake, which technically speaking is Golden Pineapple x Wedding Cake F2, aka Trophy Wife. You can see how it grew. This time two of my plants are going to be the REAL Pineapple Upside Down Cake - which was "invented" by Humboldt Seed Company, not Surfr (should be a rule about duplicating strain names). Technically this is Pineapple Trainwreck x Cookie Monster. Both are sativa leaning hybrids. Both have a similar structure, but the Humboldt genetics should be much more stable than the Surfr were. I had three different phenotypes and one plant went hermie on me and had to be pulled.

The Humboldt Pineapple Upside Down Cake has a very short flowering time. According to them it's 45-53 days. They insisted that is accurate when I spoke to them, but considering every experienced grower I know says to add at least a week to their posted flowering times with any seedbank seeds, and the fact that many grow videos online seem to indicate a 9-10 week harvest, I'm assuming 70 days. Ish. I harvested the Surfr version on exactly Day 70 of flower and pretty much nailed that part. I understand these two may share the same name but are entirely different strains and so comparisons may not be particularly valid.

I am growing in a 5x5 in 5 gallon Smart Pots with Fox Farms soil (50/50 mix of Ocean Forest and Happy Frog with added perlite) and Fox Farms nutrient trio and CalMag, finishing flowering with blackstrap molasses all the way through the flush, under a G8 C3 Enhanced Full Spectrum LED with flower booster, which according to the numbers compares favorably to the Gavita 1700e (it better considering I took a chance with this G8 and all told it cost almost as much as the Gavita).

So what I'm looking for are the following things, if anyone might have some specific information/suggestions:

1. Has anyone personally grown the Humboldt Pineapple Upside Down Cake indoors and if so can you please discuss your experience? I would be curious about flowering time, how she takes to SCROG, how nutrient thirsty she is, how stinky of a grow she is, what her potential yield might be, what possible phenotypical expressions to expect, how she responds to pruning, etc.

2. Does anyone have any suggestions for sativas or sativa leaning hybrids that might grow well alongside the Pineapple Upside Down Cake? I'd be looking for something that has a similar flowering time, takes well to SCROG, and likes a similar environment, which I would describe based on Humboldt's information as average climate conditions. Most important considerations are the sativa part and the same flowering time part, because due to my living circumstances drying my buds inside my tent is my only option (odor/roommate concerns). This means I have to harvest all the plants at the same time.

3. I suppose I could grow an indica alongside if she had a similar flowering time and such, but I would be concerned that the sativa would be so much taller than the indica that it would make the SCROG unnecessarily challenging. That said, does anyone know of any particularly tall indicas that might work alongside a sativa that'll be done after 70 days of flower?

4. Does anyone have experience growing Jack Herer or Super Silver Haze, and would either of those two work well alongside the Pineapple Upside Down Cake? Or are their flowering times simply a lot longer than 70 days?

I'm relatively new to this forum and it seems there are many experienced growers here. I greatly appreciate any feedback, suggestions, etc. that anyone may have and similarly appreciate anyone actually taking the time to read my post! Thanks in advance for any potential help.

IMG_1569.jpg

DONE.jpg
Beautiful garden friend. :peace: Don't have a lot of experience with those strains.
Jack Herer though is a simple stran to run. Should be easy to run it along side a more needy girl.:thumb:

Beautiful garden friend. :peace: Don't have a lot of experience with those strains.
Jack Herer though is a simple stran to run. Should be easy to run it along side a more needy girl.:thumb:
Thanks man! Yeah I frickin love Jack Herer. Still, it is rarely far beyond the 20% thc threshold. As much as I love Jack I think maybe something with higher thc. The Super Silver Haze gets up into the mid to upper 20s at times, and I love that strain too.

Back
Top Bottom