Anyone use styrofoam in their soiless mix?

PatBezz

I have been growing a COCO grow for the first time and have always enjoyed making up "mixes" with soil so decided to try a mix of crumbled Styrofoam in my mix. I worked on a mix of 70% CANNA COCO and a blend of Styrofoam/perlite with a 50mm base of 50/50 Styrofoam/coco to ensure a good drainage and high air access. So far the plants are loving it. I have done a similar thing with ornamental plants outdoors using terracotta pots mainly to reduce weight but also to ensure good drainage in our sub tropical climate. Mostly outdoors I have just broken up a foam fruit box into roughly 50 mm chunks and filled up the bottom of a pot for say 200mm and then filled the rest with a top quality potting mix. I have seen Styrofoam used in seed raising mixes in retail punnets before hence the inspiration. I think that an angular shape in the foam would be better than round "balls" like bean bag pellets so I just roughly "rubbed" a straight edged piece to create random shapes. Angular shape should provide better air spaces. An added bonus for using Styrofoam would also be weight. Cheers Pat.

Ummmm 207 views and no comment ? No one use Styrofoam by the looks so I guess no one will ever know. BTW I'm no fool and I aren't using it as a perlite substitute as it has very different properties to perlite. Styrophobes unite in #########. Once I suss out the photo upload I will post some pics of plant growth and maybe that might garner some interest. Pat.

OK lets see if these pics upload. Both pics are 30 days from seed planting (04/01/2014) they were sprouted in a seed raising mix with roughly 30 % finely chopped sphagnum moss. Seedlings were transplanted 19/01/2014 to COCO with approx. 30% perlite/Styrofoam blend. First pic NICE CHUNK with well developed branching and 2nd pic Marion Davies with some good width. These have been under 18/6 400wt SonT Agro HPS. Cheers Pat.
P1040121.JPG

View image in gallery[/center]

Ummmm 207 views and no comment ? No one use Styrofoam by the looks so I guess no one will ever know. BTW I'm no fool and I aren't using it as a perlite substitute as it has very different properties to perlite. Styrophobes unite in #########. Once I suss out the photo upload I will post some pics of plant growth and maybe that might garner some interest. Pat.
No it's funny I just came across a big Styrofoam container in was wondering the same thing I guess I try it and get the answer right wish me luck

Back
Top Bottom