Anyone using SNS 209?

Muttt

I had a bout with mites and lost ...... LOL. Next time around, I am treating from Day1 needed or not. But, my question is ....... are you using SNS 209 and does it work for you?? Looking for good and bad. The reason I ask is because I have some that I bought local here. So, even though many may want to suggest what they are currently using. I am already committed to trying the SNS 209. I just want to know what others experienced with it.

My bottle just came in the mail today! Can you please help me figure out how much to add to a gallon of water. My math, she ain't so great, lol.

I think it's 2 teaspoons per gallon, but I would appreciate some help. Math whizzes, the label says to mix two milliliters SNS to one liter of water. Dang commies and their metric systems! lol

PS I hope this stuff works, stupid spider mites.

I have been using SNS 209 for my caterpillar problems, in hopes that it would ward off away the moths from laying eggs. Well it didnt COMPLETELY work, but I think it may have helped a LITTLE. Instead of 50 worms I had 10 this time. So, I have not had a spider mite problem.

You should follow the directions on the bottle, but IMO I will jack up the dose a bit more. Organic systemic insecticides are a good alternative towards spraying your plant with a product. Although SNS-209 is not the BEST insurance for bug resistance, it may help a little bit.

But Like I said, next time I will jack up the dose. Caterpillars are much more of a threat to ones crop than spider mites.

Anyways good luck, hope it works for you.

I believe the bottle says 2 ml per liter/quart. That works out to be 8 ml per gallon. Each teaspoon is 4 ml .... so 2 teaspoons (per gallon) should be just fine.

must be nice to have availability of name brand products.

for mites and most pests, I've been using peroxide for a while and it works great. I bought a drum of 50% peroxide and I dilute it to 1.5% or 3%, depending on my anger level.

I spray my plants on a fairly regular basis as a prophylactic and haven't had a single bug this grow, thus far.

try it, I think you'll like it!

Update on the SNS 209.

Seems to be a winner! I have not seen one stupid mite since I started using 209 the first of January. I am also now using Silica Blast, my understanding is the silica toughens up your leaves and stems, making it more difficult for the mites to chomp your leaves.

So far, so good. Very happy with the SNS 209 :thumb:

I've been using the SNS 209 for about a month now. I haven't seen one bug. Not a gnat, mite or anything. I also treat once a week with Bronner's Magic Soap (peppermint) mixed with water (1 tbsp soap - 32 oz water). It's the same stuff that is in liquid lady bug. And I haven't seen a bug since. So, I'd have to say that either the soap or the SNS 209 is working. Not sure which one .... .don't really care which one ..... LOL.

Hanging fly traps works good for knats. ..... but it don't prevent them.

The 209 is a systemic that gets into the plants system so when something bites it it dies that is the goodtthing about the 209 the0e can be used as a spray afterword .

Actually, it doesn't kill the insects. It simply tastes and smells terrible to insects, so they'd rather not take another bite, or be near the plant at all. Apparently insects do not like the smell/flavor of Rosemary!

I will be using high doses of SNS 209 next season from the very beginning, in order to put up a defense against moth's wanting to lay their eggs, and the caterpillars that hatch hopefully won't want to drill, and burrow into my fine colas.

In addition I'll be flagging up rosemary branches throughout the area to repel those grey moths' away. This is my only hope since I refuse to spray my buds/plants with anything, as I live in a very humid environment right on the ocean.

I've also been told that the bugs hate onions, garlic, chives and anything else in that family. If you are growing outside .... which is sounds like you might be. Then plant some onions, chive or garlic around the base of your plants. It should also help discourage bugs.

He's right ..... the SNS 209 doesn't kill ... just discourages. But, that's why I also use the Bronner's Magic Soap along with it. It'll kill them on contact. It has natural oils in it and the soap smothers the little bastards on contact. So I use the 209 to prevent and the Soap to kill anything that might have decided to stay anyway.

I've also been told that the bugs hate onions, garlic, chives and anything else in that family. If you are growing outside .... which is sounds like you might be. Then plant some onions, chive or garlic around the base of your plants. It should also help discourage bugs.

He's right ..... the SNS 209 doesn't kill ... just discourages. But, that's why I also use the Bronner's Magic Soap along with it. It'll kill them on contact. It has natural oils in it and the soap smothers the little bastards on contact. So I use the 209 to prevent and the Soap to kill anything that might have decided to stay anyway.

May just try some of those this spring on the outdoor girls, thanks OG.

Actually, it doesn't kill the insects. It simply tastes and smells terrible to insects, so they'd rather not take another bite, or be near the plant at all. Apparently insects do not like the smell/flavor of Rosemary!

I will be using high doses of SNS 209 next season from the very beginning, in order to put up a defense against moth's wanting to lay their eggs, and the caterpillars that hatch hopefully won't want to drill, and burrow into my fine colas.

In addition I'll be flagging up rosemary branches throughout the area to repel those grey moths' away. This is my only hope since I refuse to spray my buds/plants with anything, as I live in a very humid environment right on the ocean.

Thanks for the info Leester, very usefull have alot of Rosemary here so it will go to good use. :thumb:

Hi Muttt

Do you have a cut off date to stop spraying once you are in flower?

I love Doc Bonner's Peppermint soap. I had no idea I could use it on my plants.

Hi Muttt

Do you have a cut off date to stop spraying once you are in flower?

I love Doc Bonner's Peppermint soap. I had no idea I could use it on my plants.

No ...... it's completely non toxic, so it doesn't hurt anything. I'd stop a week or so before harvest just to make sure they don't taste like soap.

Has anyone used SNS 209 on seedlings? I am on my second grow and started with Happy Frog soil from Fox Farm. I started my seeds in a propogator this time and I already have a fungus gnat a week in. I don't want to hurt the seedlings, and I found no information about plant stages on the data sheets from Sierra Natural Science.

Back
Top Bottom