Are feminized seeds worth the extra money?

Are feminized seeds worth the extra money?

• Yes

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 41 24.6%

• Total voters

T0aster

It does seem like you'd save a lot of time not having to bud them to determine sex. No waste either. But is it worth the price difference?

I am not going to vote because I am still new to this and feel that voting should be left to the more experienced grower. With that being said, I have read a few different articles, books and grow guides, many of which state that feminized seeds have a higher likelyhood of going hermie. I would be interested to hear if the experienced growers feel this way or what their thoughts may be on this topic.

I dont think so....I mean their a Luxury.....and I have heard that feminized seeds come out with a more uniform pheno that is more or less the same. Im not sure if thats true, but Its something I believe I read actually. If not I must just got mixed up at the coop I work at....talking about weed all day! LoL...:cool: but you know....I like growing from regular seeds.....because I like to search for the right Pheno. When I sex my plants I label them A B C D and so on and take cuts off each one....Sometimes I will take a couple 3-4 off each......and thats it....then let the A B C D plants flower while the 3-4 cuts I took off them are vegging....and then from there I will pick which Pheno came out the best! I been growing for a few years and thats always worked out for me. Another reason I take more than 1 cutting per plant is I will flower one and within the first 14 days of flower take a cut or two off that and get them to go back to Re-Veg and then I have a mother that I re-veged that Is so Uniform and so much more vigorous. It gets healla branchier....and theres basically no need to top when you do it like that! Just a couple techniques I like to excersize......I love and Live for :rollit: :yummy: and Im always lookin to learn what ever I can.

Yes if you are a grower with limited space and dont want to take the chance of a male popping in on your girls and doing his thing, which is still possible if you have one hermy on you.

And NO if you have the space to handle a male that you can grow out if one comes alone (or 2 in my case from my last batch of seedlings) because remember with this male will come more seeds or could be used for breeding

so i guess it depends on what you have to work with, if you even wanna deal with the possabilty if male plants

well it really depends on how deep your pockets are. I refuse to spend the money on feminized seed when they are so easy to make yourself. Sure it takes a couple of grows but once you have completed the procedure you end up with quite a few feminized beans that should last you years if you take care of them correctly. Read this:

Feminizing Seeds by Soma

Article by Soma

Feminized seeds occur as a result of stress, other than genetics. All cannabis plants can and will make male flowers under stress. Certain strains like a higher PH, some like a lower one. Some like a lot of food, some like a lot less. There is quite a lot of variety in marijuana genetics, and you can�t treat every plant the same way.

It takes many harvests before you really get to know a particular strain. Just like getting to know human friends, it takes time. I have grown strains for a decade and am truly getting to know every nuance the different plants exhibit. I can recognize them from a distance. I must say that I get a lot of help from my friends, both in making seeds and learning new and better ways of working with this sacred plant.

I named this new method �Rodelization� after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plant in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male �bananas�. A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built in safety factor so in case of sever conditions, the plant can make sure that the species is furthered.

To me a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female seeds. Many growers out there have male banana phobia. They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop or at least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emerging devices out. I call them �Emergency Devices� because they emerge at times of stress.

In the Rodelization method, the male banana is very valuable. After growing your female plant 10-14 days longer than usual, hang them up to dry, then carefully take them off the drying lines and inspect for bananas. Each and every banana should be removed and placed in a small bag labeled very accurately. These sealed bags can be placed in the fridge for one to two months and still remain potent.

For the second phase you need to already have a crop that�s already 2 � weeks into flowering. Take your sealed bag of pollen out of the fridge, and proceed to impregnate your new crop of females. To do this, you must first match the female plant and the pollen from the same strain in the previous crop. Shut down all the fans in the grow room. Then take a very fine paint brush, dip it in the bag of pollen, and paint it on the female flower. Do this to each different strain you have growing together. I have done it with ten different kinds in the same room with great success.

I use the lower flowers to make seeds, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking. This method takes time(two crops), but is completely organic and lets you have great quality smoke at the same time you make your female seeds. If you�re one of those growers that has never grown seeds for fear of not having something good to smoke, you will love this method.

You can also use this pollen to make new female crosses by cross pollinating. The older females with the bananas can be brought into the room with the younger, un-pollinated females when they are three weeks into flowering. Turn all of the circulation fans on high, and the little bits of pollen will proceed to make it around the room. Do this for several days. Six to seven weeks later you will have ripe 100% female seeds; not nearly as many as a male plant would make, but enough to start over somewhere else with the same genetics.

As a farmer who has been forced to move his genetics far away from where they started, I know very well the value of seeds. My friend Adam from THSeeds in Amsterdam has a motto that I love to borrow these days: �Drop seeds not bombs�.

Breeders seem to have figured out how to make good female seeds. Some have been reported to have a higher incidence of going herm. The banana harvest method just sounds like it is selecting for this trait. Another method is to use a hormone to force male flower growth.

For small grows and newbes, female seeds are definately worth it. Nothing worse then having your one survivour end up being male.

Breeders seem to have figured out how to make good female seeds. Some have been reported to have a higher incidence of going herm. The banana harvest method just sounds like it is selecting for this trait. Another method is to use a hormone to force male flower growth.

For small grows and newbes, female seeds are definately worth it. Nothing worse then having your one survivour end up being male.
I don't quite understand what your saying here. The banana method is accomplished by stressing the plant. Not by picking a natural hermy. I would personally rather use a natural process like stress rather than adding hormones like giberelic acid. I like being a man WITHOUT breasts.

Ideally, you want to pick females to breed that don't go hermy even when under stress. That way you reduce the chances of producing seeds that tend to go hermy.

I've never done any experiments, just from what I've read.
well out of over 20 years of growing I have yet to find a strain or plant I cannot stress into producing bananas. All will eventually succumb to the torture I can produce and all eventually banana out. ;)

At this point i am realizing that out of all of our seeds we got it was a waste of our time, money for water, nutes, and the loving time we spent. It is worth spending the extra money. Well worth buying feminized.

my opinion: they’re worth!

if there were no feminized seeds, I wouldn’t even grow!!
regular seeds, are more stable, consistent… a thru grower, would go for regular…
(there is a big dispute going on in Italy about this)

but just try looking at my case: cabinet grow room, nft hydroponic pot, 400 hps…
I manage to grow 4 plants at cycle… now: lets say that I go with regular….
I already have a 50% possibilities to reduce, by 50% actually, my crop…

even worse, say that I got 3 boys… what do I do? wait for another 3 months???
for all growers whom have 2 “chambers” (vegging \ flowering) it’s different… but for me,
it make one hell of a difference!!

If you have gone through the trouble of growing indoors, only to find that most or all of your seeds are male, then you will definately agree that it's worth it to pay a little extra to make sure they are female. If you are going to clone and go with SoG or SCRoG, having good mom's is the key. I had 25+ plants last grow and only had 10 females. Totally disappointing. IMO, if you are going to pay good money for the seeds anyways, might as well pay a little more and make sure you're not pissing in the wind, so to speak.

well... I think that higher price for feminized seeds, is compensated by
certainty of having 5 females out of 5 seeds...
Even if regulars would coast half of the price, I still have the possibility to get one female only,
out of 5!!! if that's the case you'll have a crop reduced by 80%, same electricity spent for 4 plants
and finally, you'll have to wait other 3 months!! All this, because you
didn't want to spend 15-20 euros more?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!!

personally, I did some 10 cycles so far... I tried different strains each time!! this is
another luxury, you should consider when u buy feminized.

well... I think that higher price for feminized seeds, is compensated by
certainty of having 5 females out of 5 seeds...
Even if regulars would coast half of the price, I still have the possibility to get one female only,
out of 5!!! if that's the case you'll have a crop reduced by 80%, same electricity spent for 4 plants
and finally, you'll have to wait other 3 months!! All this, because you
didn't want to spend 15-20 euros more?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!!

personally, I did some 10 cycles so far... I tried different strains each time!! this is
another luxury, you should consider when u buy feminized.
HHMMM, now here is how I see things...there is not only no certainty that you will get 5 plants from 5 seeds you cannot be certain that all will be or will stay female. I'll save my money and clone like hell. I'll spend the money I save on a subscription to 420magazine when it comes back into print instead.:cheesygrinsmiley: Party on all.

Purchasing Feminized seeds has both positives and negatives. Obviously the extra cost is prohibitive for some and from my experience not worth spending the money. For the additional money spent on "Fem" seeds, you could very well spend that money on acquiring more strains. There is nothing like having a well rounded variety*of strains. With a little research and work, the ratio of females to males can be manipulated to yield a greater number of girls than would normally occur . Techniques such as temperature management, the use of certain spectrum lighting and nitrogen adjustment are proven methods in increasing the likelihood of female plants. Save your money, acquire quality strains and do a little homework and you will have all the females you need to get the job done.

Well what I did being my first small grow was order a 10 pack of mixed CH9 strains female seeds so am getting the best of both worlds...

Ill have quite a few diffrent strains to smoke when I harvest doesnt get any better than that and dont have to worry about wasting time an effort since I only plan to grow once a year to cut down on the risk involved with growing mj...

well out of over 20 years of growing I have yet to find a strain or plant I cannot stress into producing bananas. All will eventually succumb to the torture I can produce and all eventually banana out. ;)

Not to contradict your years of experience but numerous breeds have contributed info to several grow books.........its called the xx, if you continue your search you will find a female incapable of turning Hermie. those are the ones to use for fem seeds... or so the books say.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom