Are there really any problems taking clones of clones of clones with no mother?

OttawaGreen

People say you he mutation from taking a clone then growing it then cloning that then cloning that. I have done as many as ten generations of plants from clone that way and never had a problem. Anyone actually have a problem with this? Trying to get those old wives to stop telling tales and get to the bottom of this ;-) I did not want to keep mothers as I allteady usually have 5 in veg and 5 in bloom, I would rather not add 5 mothers too as I want to keep plant numbers down for legal reasons.

People claim it might cause problems but why would it maybe? And has anyone actually seen it?
Let's discuss!
Regards,
OG

I found this from Jorge Cervantes:
Taking clones of clones is not a bad thing. I have interviewed growers that have made clones of clones more than 20 times! That is, clones (C-1) were taken from the original female grown from seed. These clones were grown in the vegetative stage, and clones (C-2) were taken from the first clones (C-1). Blooming was induced in (C-1) two weeks later and (C-2), grown in the vegetative stage. Then, clones (C-3) were taken from the second clones (C-2). This same growing technique is still going on with clones of clones well past (C-20) and there has been no apparent breakdown in the potency or the vigor of the clone.

Opinions?

From my experience there is no problem taking clones from clones.I run perpetual grow and have been taking clone from clone for at least 3 years now not sure how many cuts but hope to keep on keeping on.;)

Some growers will tell you that there is a definite decline in potency and vigor at some point. And many will tell you the opposite. I would say that if you start noticing this, simply take fresh clones from a mother plant.

Now this is something that needs a scientific study, like how many licks dose it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop. The discussions about cloning generations is similar to the defoliation discussions, some say it's not good, some say it doesn't matter. I think it's a personal preference as I have seen some monster grows that have been both defoliated heavily or not at all with no effect on potency or vigor, same with multi generation clones.

Wow! Thanks for the good info. I love this place. People that are friendly and helpful and lots
Of good info and no flame wars. Thanks to all for making this a great place.
OG

Yeah, I think this may be the last bastion of civility on the interwebs.

How are things in Ottawa these days? I spent most of the 90s there... learned quite a bit about growing there from a buddy who supplied most of eastern Ontario. Good times. I still get my beans from there.

Back
Top Bottom