As good as Mylar?

Bud Blaze

UltraTouch 4 ft. x 6 ft. Radiant Barrier - 30000-11406 at The Home Depot

Anyone tell me if this is as good as Mylar? I know I can get mylar online of course but since I need to go to Home Depot for supplies anyways I would like to know if this stuff would work just the same...?

As good as...?

It won't be as reflective as clean, uncreased mylar installed on a perfectly smooth surface. (Then again, I've seen mylar covered in creases (aka "Emergency Blankets" lol), water/nutrient stains, wrinkled, just hung loosely like a curtain, et cetera. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more reflective than those.)

With the ~1/8" cotton-fiber material in the middle, it will provide some use as a sound- and heat-barrier and in that aspect, it would be better at doing so than mylar.

So. As good as? Is a tri-axle dump truck better than a Ferrari? Worse. And better. They're different products with overlapping uses. Both will get you to the corner store. The Ferrari will often get you there a lot faster - but not if you've got to bring seven tons of gravel with you.

UltraTouch 4 ft. x 6 ft. Radiant Barrier - 30000-11406 at The Home Depot

Anyone tell me if this is as good as Mylar? I know I can get mylar online of course but since I need to go to Home Depot for supplies anyways I would like to know if this stuff would work just the same...?

I used that stuff in my grow. My cabinet was built for stealth and I thought that stuff would work double time as a reflective surface and a sound barrier.

Check your PM

I used that stuff in my grow. My cabinet was built for stealth and I thought that stuff would work double time as a reflective surface and a sound barrier.

Check your PM

Hey you haven't bought that mylar thru ebay yet have you? If you go on that companys website you can get it for like 7-8 bux cheaper, course you'd still have to take shipping into account. You know it's funny you show'd me that and I can't believe I didn't look into it from there myself, because they have a location not far from my houes, so no shipping fee's for me! LOL

As good as...?

It won't be as reflective as clean, uncreased mylar installed on a perfectly smooth surface. (Then again, I've seen mylar covered in creases (aka "Emergency Blankets" lol), water/nutrient stains, wrinkled, just hung loosely like a curtain, et cetera. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more reflective than those.)

With the ~1/8" cotton-fiber material in the middle, it will provide some use as a sound- and heat-barrier and in that aspect, it would be better at doing so than mylar.

So. As good as? Is a tri-axle dump truck better than a Ferrari? Worse. And better. They're different products with overlapping uses. Both will get you to the corner store. The Ferrari will often get you there a lot faster - but not if you've got to bring seven tons of gravel with you.

Thank you for your reply I loved the analogies hahaha! I have decided on going with mylar, I'm using foam insulation to help sustain heat so don't need the home depot stuff for that.

And thank you for your reply as well Dext :)

Mylar is, at best, 95% reflective when new. This level of refectivity degrades quickly with dust, water spots, etc. Flat white paint is 90-92% reflective, yet degrades much more slowly. My personal opinion is that overall, flat white paint does a better job of reflecting light than mylar.

4x6 feet how big is your room? I have mylar but to do it again I would go with the flat white paint,I know people with paint and I now perfer it.
br

Mylar is, at best, 95% reflective when new. This level of refectivity degrades quickly with dust, water spots, etc. Flat white paint is 90-92% reflective, yet degrades much more slowly. My personal opinion is that overall, flat white paint does a better job of reflecting light than mylar.

Thats very interesting, any other opinions on this?

4x6 feet how big is your room? I have mylar but to do it again I would go with the flat white paint,I know people with paint and I now perfer it.
br

It's a closet space 2'x4' with about 5-6' in height. Do you find the paint easier to clean than mylar?

they are about the same,the foil is easy but get get a dull film,the paint washes are Dependant on the quality of the paint and number of coats, but no I do not think it is any easier, it just reflects better and does not appear to get a film on it.
br

I use the regular "lay flat" black on one side white on the other plastic sheeting. You won't have the paint fumes to deal with or the years of paint vapor being released for your plants to deal with. Plus I can spray water and nutes and dirt everywhere if I wanted (don't do this lol) and all I have to do is wipe it down and I'm back up to 92% reflectivity. No loss like Mylar or paint. And it's only 80 cents a linear foot which unfolds 10 feet wide. So you could do your setup for under 6 bucks!

I have a rather large space in my attic I was thinking of fitting out into a grow room. The area is bare studs with paper backed fiber insulation between the studs. I was thinking of putting up vapor barrier, drywall & then use a 1/4 inch 4x8 foot styrofoam sold at Home depot for about $10.00/4x8 sheet.
Was thinking of skipping the drywall install BUT I think it would be wise for insulation, strenght and sound deadning.

I have a rather large space in my attic I was thinking of fitting out into a grow room. The area is bare studs with paper backed fiber insulation between the studs. I was thinking of putting up vapor barrier, drywall & then use a 1/4 inch 4x8 foot styrofoam sold at Home depot for about $10.00/4x8 sheet.
Was thinking of skipping the drywall install BUT I think it would be wise for insulation, strenght and sound deadning.

FWIW The paper on the insulation is a vapor barrier and you never want to leave just the insulation up in an area that could possibly have a fire, such as a grow room. You need to cover it with drywall. Never ever have any of the foam insulation board showing, always cover that with drywall too.

Unfinished attics dont make great grow rooms,,,,,,,heat issues.

Back
Top Bottom