Assistant Prosecutor Discusses Concerns With Medical Marijuana

According to one of Macomb County's drug prosecutors, Michigan's marijuana laws are starting to create some unforeseen problems.

Bill Dailey, Macomb County assistant prosecutor and chief of the department's drug unit, visited with the Northwest Zero Tolerance Coalition on Nov. 12 to discuss growing drugs trends as seen by his office and what can be done about them.

One issue he said that continues to concern him is the use of medical marijuana.

"People's opinions are changing a little bit, it seems like, in the state about marijuana," said Dailey. "It is causing, in my opinion, a strain on our uniformed personnel because they are out there now, they are recovering marijuana on their traffic stops or they are recovering when doing a trash pull on a suspected marijuana house. It is very, very difficult for them or for us to find out if these folks have a medical marijuana card."

Dailey said that if residents do legally have medical marijuana cards, he has no problem with that.

"They are following the law, so be it," he said.

Dailey said problems arise when trying to confirm whether a person has legally obtained that card and because the state is so closely guarding people's confidentiality, it is sucking up hours of time trying to determine the legitimacy of the card.

According to a state law that passed last November, to be eligible for a medical marijuana card a resident must suffer from a disease such as cancer, glaucoma, HIV, AIDS, hepatitis C, Crohn's disease, a chronic disease, or a medical condition or treatment that produces, among others symptoms, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea or seizures.

"Not to offend anybody, (but) in my opinion it is pretty amorphous criteria to get a card," said Dailey. "There are people I know who have gotten a card for asthma, which is kind of surprising."

Dailey said that currently the state is being very restrictive with the information it will release about medical marijuana card holders.

"All they will do right now is confirm if the number is a valid number," he said. "That is not to say that three jurisdictions over somebody is not cranking out cards with that number on it."

Dailey said problems arise when considering the state law also allows people with medical marijuana cards to grow a certain amount in their own homes.

"I think there is going to be more marijuana available to our young people," he said. "There is now a lawful way for it to be out in the stream of commerce. It is the same thing that happened with Vicodin pills and OxyContin pills."

Dailey said there are absolutely going to be people with cards who do not smoke every bud off of the 12 plants they are allowed to grow for themselves.

"Part of me thinks we should have totally legalized marijuana and regulated it more and had quality controls in the state of Michigan, sold it and taxed it," he said. "Right now we have taken this middle ground, which is a mess in my opinion. I don't think we have sorted how well to enforce it."

Dailey said he is concerned that the way the law is being enforced will eventually start to create issues for people with legitimate medical concerns.

"I'm sure there was some good ideas behind the people who proposed the law, but it is causing a problem and it is taking our law enforcement's time. It is taking our time in the court. It has become a real issue I think," said Dailey.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Advisor & Source
Author: MATT DECEMBER
Copyright: 2009 sourcenewspapers.com, a Journal Register Property.
Website: Assistant Prosecutor Discusses Concerns With Medical Marijuana

this is a good story, quote, "Part of me thinks we should have totally legalized marijuana and regulated it more and had quality controls in the state of Michigan, sold it and taxed it," he said. "Right now we have taken this middle ground, which is a mess in my opinion. I don't think we have sorted how well to enforce it."

all of me believes we should have just legalized it but part of me has to understand what this prosecutor is saying, we are dealing with something that has been illegal for quite some time, even longer than alot of prosecutors and police officers have been alive, and all of me believes that the majority are just doing there job,
more and more law enforcement are slowly coming to the realization of the insanity associated with the war on drugs but they still have there job to do,
I do believe something needs to change and the only option I see to stop all the insanity is to just legalize it.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom