Attorney Will Spell Out Marijuana Law

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Like many others across the state of Michigan, Matt Newburg is surprised at how the medical marijuana debate has played out.

“I don't think anyone could have anticipated the volume of people who applied for cards,” he said. “And I don't think anyone could have anticipated all the questions that have surfaced since the measure passed.”

Newburg is a criminal defense attorney who specializes in medical marijuana issues. He plans to discuss some of those issues in a presentation before the Birmingham Compassion Club at 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 10, at the Baldwin Public Library.

“I'll talk about what the act provides for; what patients and caregivers can and cannot do; what defenses are available at the state level ... along with the conflict between state and federal law,” he said. “I think most of it would be questions and answers.”

Voters approved the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act by a margin of over 60 percent in 2008. The law allows designated caregivers to grow and distribute a limited amount of marijuana to certified patients.

Since it was passed, more than 75,000 people have applied for a card that qualifies them as medical marijuana patients.

COTTAGE INDUSTRY?

The growing part is easy — it's the distribution part that has everyone confused.

In August 2010, the Oakland County Sheriff's Department arrested 15 people during a raid of two dispensaries in Ferndale and Waterford. Sheriff Michael Bouchard has gone on record as saying there is nothing in the law that allows for dispensaries. Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills also consider them illegal under local ordinances.

Chad Carr, one of the organizers of the Birmingham Compassion Club, has a simple solution to the problem: Cut out the middle man by eliminating the dispensaries.

“Our law would be working right now if it wasn't for the dispensaries,” Carr said Wednesday. “Our group doesn't think dispensaries are way to go — we support a more private situation closely connected to the grower, where people are employed in a small cottage industry.”

• Thanks to GuitarMan313 for submitting this article

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: hometownlife.com
Author: Jay M. Grossman
Copyright: 2011 hometownlife.com

“I don't think anyone could have anticipated the volume of people who applied for cards,”

Really? Look at any other state with med laws, they said the exact same thing. Isn't this just an excuse for their unmotivated attitude towards getting these laws changed? With more than half of the country being regular MJ users, medical or not, how can you even say such a statement, unless of course you're living under a rock?

It's good there are steps being outlined to further educate people and eliminate the grey areas, but still, if you would just outright legalize then there will be no grey areas and this time and effort can be spent actually putting an end to harmful crimes.

Back
Top Bottom