Basic lighting question

Jimmyjoe

I'm setting up a space approx 4 feet wide x 2 feet deep lined w/reflective foil-faced styrofoam insulation board which will enclose six 5-gal pails w/one plant each. I am planning to use a four-tube fluorescent fixture with the tubes that are approx an inch-and-one-half thick (T12?). Is this enough lighting with full-spectrum bulbs? I think those bulbs are rated at 32W, which would be a total of only 128W! I read that you should have 50W/plant. Does that only apply to HPS or MH lamps? I'm a little confused here.

JJ is correct again. You will want at least 400 watts of MH or HPS lighting. For CFL or Tube Fluorescent bulbs you at least 65 watts per square foot. Take a look at the link in my signature for some more basic info on plant lighting.

So does that mean for my small area of only eight sq ft I would need about 16 fluorescent tubes?! I don't see how I could cram all the fixtures necessary in that little space. At the risk of sounding a little dense, am I missing something here?

Can you fit a 47"x24" fixture into that space or is that too tight?

We're saying this is ideal, of course if it's not feasible you have to do what you can while potentially working your way toward better results (should you choose of course).

Can you fit a 47"x24" fixture into that space or is that too tight?

We're saying this is ideal, of course if it's not feasible you have to do what you can while potentially working your way toward better results (should you choose of course).

Yes I could fit that in easily, and if I could find such a fixture that would accept more of the smaller diameter T-5 bulbs I would get more wattage that way. Is that what you had in mind? And can you recommend a supplier of the appropriate fixture?

You didn't mention your height limit, but I would suggest a 400 watt HPS unless you have temperature problems. They do make 4' 8 bulb T5 panels that are ~4'x2' and will cost around $250 depending on the company you buy from.

I've got a good eight feet of height available, and I'm starting to lean towards the HPS system now. I've got a window-type fan unit with two fans in it that I can hook up which will probably move enough air for adequate cooling and ventilation. I was trying to get away with spending as little as possible, which is why I first considered fluorescents, but I guess the 400W sodium setup will be better overall. Thanks for the advice, both y'all.

If you take a look at the link in my signature, I go over a couple of those factors. The price for a 400 watt HPS system will cost about the same as a T5 4' 8 bulb system. The difference will come when you go to replace 8 bulbs every 4-6 months at ~$15 each or one HPS/MH bulb every 6-9 months at ~$40 (yes you can get bulbs that are much more expensive but the increase in output isn't that much greater). You will also see increased performance over a tube lighting system.

That's good information which will give me something to think about before I make my final selection. BTW, can I use an HPS bulb all the way through vegetative and flowering stages, or would it be better to use an MH for veg and then switch to an HPS bulb for flowering?

Back
Top Bottom