Beginner Breeders

Jackalope

I am seeing more and more threads on "Breeding". Who wants to keep spending money on more seeds. I grew for over 20 years before I started making seeds. As long as a few guide lines are followed there is nothing wrong with this. Making female seeds is a short cut to breeding. Even when making "Hybrids" of 2 "Known" females is not that risky. When doing this we have already seen the females and know they are good. If it is from regeneration or cloning it is the same. We know that plant is kick ass. Any time you use a male plant all that changes. The chances of your genetics being muddied up just doubled. Everyone must understand. Making seeds from anything other then superior plants could give you inferior results.
Mostly I don't want to take anything away from the people that are really "breeding". We live in a world of short cuts. Breeding females is our short cut to more seeds. They did the breeding we are just continuing their work. Most breeders have grown out tens of thousands of plants out. Nothing can replace experience. You can read everything a person has wrote but you still have not experienced it. I have a friend that can tell more about a plant from looking at it then I can from growing and smoking it. They know more about their male plants then we know of our females. While it may be stupid I find calling myself a breeder is a insult to all the work those guys did. All the great strains of today come from the genetic base that those people built for us.
Blue Dream one of arguably the best strains out there. It is a hybrid of Blueberry and Super Silver Haze. While a lot of work went into making it. It is still infantile compared to the work that went into its parents. Turning 3 different strains into 1 strain is a skill level way beyond us.
So lets make our seeds, grow our own seeds, but never forget all the work others have did for us.

I am seeing more and more threads on "Breeding". Who wants to keep spending money on more seeds. I grew for over 20 years before I started making seeds. As long as a few guide lines are followed there is nothing wrong with this. Making female seeds is a short cut to breeding. Even when making "Hybrids" of 2 "Known" females is not that risky. When doing this we have already seen the females and know they are good. If it is from regeneration or cloning it is the same. We know that plant is kick ass. Any time you use a male plant all that changes. The chances of your genetics being muddied up just doubled. Everyone must understand. Making seeds from anything other then superior plants could give you inferior results.
Mostly I don't want to take anything away from the people that are really "breeding". We live in a world of short cuts. Breeding females is our short cut to more seeds. They did the breeding we are just continuing their work. Most breeders have grown out tens of thousands of plants out. Nothing can replace experience. You can read everything a person has wrote but you still have not experienced it. I have a friend that can tell more about a plant from looking at it then I can from growing and smoking it. They know more about their male plants then we know of our females. While it may be stupid I find calling myself a breeder is a insult to all the work those guys did. All the great strains of today come from the genetic base that those people built for us.
Blue Dream one of arguably the best strains out there. It is a hybrid of Blueberry and Super Silver Haze. While a lot of work went into making it. It is still infantile compared to the work that went into its parents. Turning 3 different strains into 1 strain is a skill level way beyond us.
So lets make our seeds, grow our own seeds, but never forget all the work others have did for us.

We must also remember to continue to purchase seeds from the breeders. Without them, we will be limited to strains which are not bred to stability.

I will make my own seeds. But I will also purchase more seeds to keep the breeders in business. Plus it diversifies the genetics that I have available.

Just the opinion of a future seed maker/breeder, who is as green as most of your plants.

Another thing to add in here. If you are going to make seeds or have to make seeds. Just use the What Why and the How of it. What seeds you have and how many there are has a lot to do with your approach. Why do you want to make these seeds? That is a big question and has a lot to do with it you just make female seeds or not. The How is what I am doing now.
I am selfing one of my favorite females right now. While doing this I am going to have female pollen. I mostly grow female seeds anyway so might as well make some more. The fact that I have other females growing at this time gives me a multitude of options. I even choose the strains I am growing because of their value as a hybrid. I will paint a branch or 2 of the best females with the female pollen. I am loosing nothing but a couple of buds. What I gain is a mystery. They will be a female hybrid of a strain I really like and a great plant. Not a whole lot can go wrong here. For me the extra female seeds to grow out makes it worth the effort. If a great one shows up I just have to self it.

Another thing to add in here. If you are going to make seeds or have to make seeds. Just use the What Why and the How of it. What seeds you have and how many there are has a lot to do with your approach. Why do you want to make these seeds? That is a big question and has a lot to do with it you just make female seeds or not. The How is what I am doing now.
I am selfing one of my favorite females right now. While doing this I am going to have female pollen. I mostly grow female seeds anyway so might as well make some more. The fact that I have other females growing at this time gives me a multitude of options. I even choose the strains I am growing because of their value as a hybrid. I will paint a branch or 2 of the best females with the female pollen. I am loosing nothing but a couple of buds. What I gain is a mystery. They will be a female hybrid of a strain I really like and a great plant. Not a whole lot can go wrong here. For me the extra female seeds to grow out makes it worth the effort. If a great one shows up I just have to self it.

Have u grown any autos an done breeding with them b4? Cause im in the process of making my own cross of black domina and hindu kush skunk and i wana add an auto to the mix im thinking a red/purple strain like red poison auto from sweet seeds or c4 from fast buds or i was thinking of dark devil from sweet seeds but tht 1 has been used ALOT by people making crosses nowadays lol so im leaning away from tht 1 kinda. But yea right now im making some pollen from a tangie'matic auto from fast buds so i can make some auto beans of this strain cuz its getting huge and looks like its guna be a really good auto for dwc n if it yields anything like my gorilla glue auto i jus recently did then its guna be a beast lol so i was like yup i definitely dnt wana lose this strain haha so this will be my 2nd attempt to try an get auto pollen but the 1st time i tried it i didnt know as much as i do now n i tried it on my out side auto n it was raining outside at the time so i think it kept washing off my colloidal silver spray for the first month so by the time it was able 2 really stay on there it was long far along n i missed the window of opportunity to pollinate her but i think this time now i got a whole breeding area and a breeding program im working on specifically so im paying attention to it more then last time i think it will work out 4 me atleast thts my plan lol. This is a big dream of mine to get my own strain out there on the market but i dont wana jus throw out a quick cross tht super unstable i wana take my time n work out all the little things and perfect the 2 strains i want right nw im jus doing the bd crossed with hks then ill work on my auto strain but for now its my photo strain till its exactly the way i want it. So if any 1 has any info they would like to share or tips or knowledge or anything constructive criticism is always good in my eyes. I feel we should all band together to start helping eachother grow everything we can and spread tht info to as many growers as we can so the world can be filled with super dank lol.

No I have not grown any Auto strains. I have no idea how they transfer their genetics. I don't think it is going to be as easy as breeding other seeds. With regular seeds, if they are not as strong as their parents then it may not be a big deal. With Auto's if they do not transfer their genetics all the way then they may not auto flower.

One thing to look into if you want to breeding your own Auto Flower seeds. Low Rider and some of its peers would be perfect for it. The early Auto strains that are still pretty close to their ruderalis genetics would be best. That is where the Auto comes from. Breeding with a plant with strong ruderalis genetics should transfer enough of the auto genetics to get at least some autoflower offspring.

One thing to look into if you want to breeding your own Auto Flower seeds. Low Rider and some of its peers would be perfect for it. The early Auto strains that are still pretty close to their ruderalis genetics would be best. That is where the Auto comes from. Breeding with a plant with strong ruderalis genetics should transfer enough of the auto genetics to get at least some autoflower offspring.

Awesome thanx man for the info i tried looking up the lineage from fast buds but they got barley any explanation at all it kinda sux so idk what these auto strains even really are but some grow amazingly. I won the vaults xmas promo giveaway and won 5 strains from fast buds 10 beans each so i figured id run one of each first 2 try them out n c how they were since most them didnt have any explanation at all on the seed site. Then i some did so well i figured id better start tryn to make beans now incase it takes me a few trys to get everything just right but i even got a breeding tent up n running last night so bean heaven here i come lol.

Practice is good. Practice that produces seeds all the better. When dealing with one certain breeder. Find their oldest Auto. In most case's it will be the one they use in their further hybrids. If I were going to try and make a Auto. I think I would start with the Iranian Autoflower from Dr Greenthumb. From what I have read about it. It is probably a hybrid created naturally by having ruderalis and indica's grown in the same region. A plant that auto flowers and has good percentages of THC naturally is a great place to start.

Sensi seeds has ruderallis Indica and ruderallis skunk available if your interested in breeding autos. That's something I'm just beginning to work on now. The strains they have are only 50% autoflower so I plan on selecting the best males and females, making my own seed and then stabilizing the autoflower trait. After that I'll introduce a photo strain and select from there. It's time consuming, but worth it if you have the patience.

Sensi seeds has ruderallis Indica and ruderallis skunk available if your interested in breeding autos. That's something I'm just beginning to work on now. The strains they have are only 50% autoflower so I plan on selecting the best males and females, making my own seed and then stabilizing the autoflower trait. After that I'll introduce a photo strain and select from there. It's time consuming, but worth it if you have the patience.

Exactly that is what im doing right now well shit have been for the last half a year so far lol but its totally worth it imo im working on puting an auto in my photo cross of black domina and hindu kush skunk im thinking of sweetseeds red poison or maybe c4 auto from fast buds but they dont have much info on there strains so idk

Exactly that is what im doing right now well shit have been for the last half a year so far lol but its totally worth it imo im working on puting an auto in my photo cross of black domina and hindu kush skunk im thinking of sweetseeds red poison or maybe c4 auto from fast buds but they dont have much info on there strains so idk
Awesome. Yes definitely worth it. I find it to be extremely satisfying, something you can truly take pride in. Here some info for you on the c4

Fast Buds Company - C4-Matic

C4 - Matic is not a simple name. White widow, Skunk, Big Bud and the Ruderalis are its 4 parents and the result is a real bombshell. It is very strong with a high productivity and ideal for commercial growers. It has a sharp physical influence and is also very good for medicinal use.

Genetics: Big Bud x Skunk x White Widow x Ruderalis
Flowering: Flowers at 12-18 hours photoperiod. 8 weeks from germination
Yield: 450-650 g/m2 50-350 g/plant
Height: 90 - 120 cm
THC: 16%
CBD: 1.1%

Big Bud×skunk×white widow

Hope this helps, if you don't already know about it.

Oh nice man thanx i didnt no about seedfinder i never heard of it b4 but im glad u shared it haha maybe i can now get info on a few of my other strains tht im working with tht i cudnt find info on thanx bro

Back
Top Bottom